+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dice: Mobile App Development is the Second Most In-Demand IT Skill Set

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Dice: Mobile App Development is the Second Most In-Demand IT Skill Set

The monthly report for the IT job market conducted by Dice continues to show that developers remain the most in-demand jobs. The top ten jobs listed are various kinds of developers with mobile app development ranking as the second most in-demand skill. This isnít surprising though because another study conducted by Symantec note that 59% of companies are actively working to create mobile versions of their internal line of business. This number doesnít even take into account customer-facing apps, which are more commonly seen as a requirement.

Other development skills that are in-demand include Java, Microsoft, .NET, web, and the generic software developer. Java ended up stealing the top spot and it should be noted that with one exception, development skills make up the top five skill sets. The one non-developer position was related to data and network security. The top ten list can be found below:

1. Java Developer
    2. Mobile Developer
    3. .NET Developer
    4. Software Developer
    5. Security
    6. SAP
    7. SharePoint
    8. Web Developers
    9. Active Federal Security Clearance
    10. Network Engineer

There are a number of reasons why each of these skills is in-demand at this time. Certainly one reason security skills are in growing in demand is because the number of mobile devices, including employee-owned devices, in most workplaces continues to grow exponentially. The reason for the high demand for mobile developers is likely because the market for mobile apps is driving an increasing need for companies to develop app strategies. The growth is larger than that of the number of applications with iOS or Android development skills. Basically, if you are an experienced iOS developer, this proves that thereís a good chance of landing the right job for you if you are in the middle of considering a career move. Last but not least, according to the job location data, the majority of tech jobs in the New York metro area and Baltimore/Washington D.C. area, followed by Silicon Valley.

Source: Dice

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I would really like to get into Mobile Development. Has anyone taken any courses or self taught or?? Let me know I would like to hear some experiences please and thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I would really like to get into Mobile Development. Has anyone taken any courses or self taught or?? Let me know I would like to hear some experiences please and thanks.
    I went on a 5 day course for iOS development and after a fair amount of practice afterwards I'm starting to earn money and get good job offers, well worth it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lellis2k View Post
    I went on a 5 day course for iOS development and after a fair amount of practice afterwards I'm starting to earn money and get good job offers, well worth it!
    What salary rates does it fetch?
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 923 Posts

+1
    I'd love to be able to do that!!! I don't know if starting w/ 'C' is the best way to start, though

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to now as well. What are the best courses to take and in what order.
    Although the windows tablets will be coming out soon i'm sure iOS will be in demand for quite some time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Like many others here I have had the same thoughts as well. I really wasn't into programming, but thought I did have some really good app ideas. I decided to go with a build-your-own-app service like www.biznessapps.com features.html that doesn't require any programming experience. You just use the online editor to build the app you want. I found that it was also good for developing my ideas and getting important information on the apps functionality etc through real usage. If the app really takes off, then you can hire a professional developer to develop it. I realized early on that since Google (and others) is increasingly moving towards personalized, local search results that local app developers were about to enter a "golden age."