+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6's New Maps Application Could Also Come to the Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Are you excited for Apple’s new iOS 6 Maps application with turn by turn navigation, 3D maps, and Flyover view? You should be, because it’s awesome and it brings you
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 760 Posts

Default iOS 6's New Maps Application Could Also Come to the Mac

Are you excited for Apple’s new iOS 6 Maps application with turn by turn navigation, 3D maps, and Flyover view? You should be, because it’s awesome and it brings you a whole new perspective of the world around you. Unfortunately, Apple is only bringing some of these heavy duty features to the newer iOS devices such as the new iPad and the iPhone 4S.

An iOS Developer from New Zealand named Cody Cooper is responsible for sharing with everyone that this upgraded version of the Maps application could also be coming to the Mac. The discovery is shown in the code above, from iOS 6, which includes strings of text that have direct references to the hardware within some of the newer Mac machines – Intel HD graphics.

The finding makes sense, since Apple has been slowly bringing more and more of iOS’ applications to the Mac – OS X Mountain Lion gives us Game Center, Notes, Reminders, and Notification Center which are all derivatives from iOS. Apple has also been known to do the exact opposite, such as bringing the iWork and iLife software suites from the Mac to the mobile iOS device lineup.

Since the Mac has a much more powerful processor than any of the mobile devices, the Maps application would be, overall, much zippier in performance. Maps would make a great addition to the Mac because the Mac doesn’t have any kind of mapping application built into it and the only practical option for Mac users is Google Earth or Google Maps, which Apple doesn’t want to associate with anymore.

It likely won't be supported on Windows machines, but I would love to have this kind of mapping power on my Mac.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

.̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨̨̨̨̨̨̨.̸̸̨̨ That would be awesome i cant wait for ios 6 either

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i cant wait till they upload more content.. compared to google maps, the beta 2 release is still not even comparable to google maps..
    just zooming into my location, its ot even rendered yet, just a blurb. and the 3d renderings are for now, only for massively huge populated city s. for the other 80% of the US population, this doesn't help us out much..

but yes, its still a beta... so we will see.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm fed up with all apples new stuff only being for latest products like Siri only for 4s etc. there products are over priced and sod if I'm gonna keep buying from them when there's better stuff on the market for less.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

This is all good but I stopped using any GPS/Map app to avoid receiving the nasty Apple text that I am in the top 5% for data usage. I bought a separate GPS unit to avoid this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
    I'm fed up with all apples new stuff only being for latest products like Siri only for 4s etc. there products are over priced and sod if I'm gonna keep buying from them when there's better stuff on the market for less.
    I can understand your opinion but it's not just apple that do it, android have been doing it for along time as well. Without rooting try and find an official 4.0 rom for a galaxy S1. You won't coz its not official supported. At least apple are still supporting the 3GS with iOS 6.

Its not just apple

Sorry just my 2cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgmm1 View Post
    This is all good but I stopped using any GPS/Map app to avoid receiving the nasty Apple text that I am in the top 5% for data usage. I bought a separate GPS unit to avoid this.
    That's your provider, not Apple.

Also, congratulations! You now have another device to feed! Power, batteries, map updates, other services they want you to buy... I highly doubt using google maps on your iphone put you in the top 5%: it was all that streaming video, and software updates via 3G (thanks, 3G unrestrictor).

Why not just by the appropriate app instead? Can you get a decent gps for less than $50?

-------------------------------
    Does this mean iOS developers can leverage their dev time for Multi-platform?
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 07-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.