+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pulls Products and Decides Against Submitting to EPEAT Registry

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Pulls Products and Decides Against Submitting to EPEAT Registry

Apple recently notified the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) that it is withdrawing its products from the EPEAT registry and won’t be submitting new products to the registry for environmental rating. The folks over at CIO Journal were given a chance to speak with the CEO of EPEAT, Robert Frisbee, who ended up offering more insight into Apple’s decision:

They said their design direction was no longer consistent with EPEAT requirements. The company did not elaborate. They were important supports and we are disappointed that they don’t want their products measured by this standard anymore.
    EPEAT certification requires certain standards that make machines easier to disassemble and recycle using common tools. At WWDC, Apple announced and released the Retina MacBook Pro, which is a device that is difficult to disassemble and therefore ineligible for certification. According to iFixit:

According to my EPEAT contacts, Apple’s mobile design direction is in conflict with the intended direction of the standard. Specifically, the standard lays out particular requirements for product “disassemble-ability,” a very important consideration for recycling: “External enclosures, chassis, and electronic subassemblies shall be removable with commonly available tools or by hand.”
    The CIO Reports that the move could have a financial impact on Apple’s sales as many corporations require EPEAT certified computers. The U.S. government also requires 95% of electronics purchases also be EPEAT certified. No one has estimated how this will affect Apple but the decision to not submit to the EPEAT registry is probably one Apple has thoroughly calculated. Furthermore, the move does not seem to affect Apple’s popular iPhone and iPad devices, as they are presently a class of product not certified by EPEAT.

Source: CIO Journal, iFixIt

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm... it makes sense to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Don't tell me apple's coming up with their own certification from now on...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope this backfires on Apple and bites them on the arse

Damaging the enviroment by making products less recyclable is a very bad move on their part

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    I hope this backfires on Apple and bites them on the arse

Damaging the enviroment by making products less recyclable is a very bad move on their part
    +1

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Hmmm... it makes sense to me.
    apparently, it made sense to apple too!

Thanks

I think its clear they can do what they want and in the end they will win anyway. Disagree with me all you want, yet Apple always has a plan.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

The only way Apple products ever get "recycled", is when someone buys a new Apple product, and then sells or gives away their old one. 😄
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Out of curiosity, how so?

Out of curiosity, how so??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Apple products tend to stay in circulation longer than others though. Many people buy older Macs when people upgrade. And at decent prices too. I have been doing that for awhile. Selling my old Mac to help pay for new one.