Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Buy 'Cloning' Apple's Retail Look?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Best Buy 'Cloning' Apple's Retail Look?

There's no denying the unfortunate reality that Best Buy is struggling financially. And with that struggle comes the urgency to change that which isn't working. For Best Buy, one of the first changes being tinkered with is appearance.

According to a new report in the Wall Street Journal, the attempted turnaround begins by making the store's "cavernous electronics emporiums" look more like Apple's stylishly sleek retail outlets. In other words, Best Buy is striving to emulate a look that's working out really well for the Mac maker.

The heart of a test store near Best Buy's headquarters here is a Solution Central help desk, rimmed with chairs and manned by the company's black-tied Geek Squad. It strongly resembles the Genius Bar at Apple's stores.
    The images posted by The Wall Street Journal certainly suggest that Best Buy has borrowed design and presentation ideas from Apple, but nothing seems too gratuitous about the design similarities. Of course, Best Buy is one of Apple's retail partners - and a significant one at that. So any design similarities might, at the end of the day, only further complement the partners' working relationship.

Best Buy tells the WSJ that its sleek and more slimmed-down store "is focused less on displaying every conceivable gadget and more on connecting customers with employees who can answer questions or help program equipment." No word yet on when this new look will roll into your neighborhood. But its probably coming soon.

Source: WSJ

The Best Buy where I live has always had a help center where anyone can go for questions. How is this new?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobh4 View Post
    The Best Buy where I live has always had a help center where anyone can go for questions. How is this new?
    They are saying cuz it looks like apples genius bar lol

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Yes, that "Solution Central" looks like an exact clone of the Genius Bar. ... not, lol. A desk two people and two chairs isnt quite a clone, but the offered service might be. I guess we'll see about that. In general, not a bad idea, granted theres isnt a 'Genius Bar" around every corner, but there are definitely plenty of Best Buy's (still).

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with this article it is a clone. Not an exact but basically the same thing. That doesn't mean thats a bad thing. If its working for apple then why not give it a shot. Its like a puzzle piece and they moved a few around. The root idea is the clone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

"Unfortunate reality?"

Best Buy is a horrible company that treats their employees like crap, and their customers like numbers. No commission, doesn't mean that the employees don't get threatened with instant final warnings, and terminations if they don't attach every useless service possible to your computer purchase. I know how that company works deep down (I won't divulge how) and I can tell you, that BBY going under would be a good thing for consumers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

They should start by firing the people who aren't helpful, not trying to make it appear to be a more helpful place. I've had poor over the phone and in-person experiences when either asking for details and when trying to buy something. If they didn't have the cheaper price on my MBA than the local Apple reseller near me (closest Apple store to me was also too far away) I would've gotten it somewhere else.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    They should start by firing the people who aren't helpful, not trying to make it appear to be a more helpful place. I've had poor over the phone and in-person experiences when either asking for details and when trying to buy something. If they didn't have the cheaper price on my MBA than the local Apple reseller near me (closest Apple store to me was also too far away) I would've gotten it somewhere else.
    I couldn't agree more! I've had the worst BB experiences over the phone and in person. I could understand one maybe two times, but multiple times is just not acceptable. I think all you need to get hired there is to have a face and know the question, "can I help you find something?"! Not everyone is that bad but still, I feel bad for the people that don't understand technology that well and have a run in with these guys.

Anyway, I think it's cloning the Apple Store Genius Bar, but what else is new? Everyone tries to copy Apple because their products sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    They are saying cuz it looks like apples genius bar lol
    Those guys look like they work at the Nerd-Heard!! Bestbuy should change their colors from Blue to Green!

Kaman Chuck@ Where is the Intersect?!?!!?!?!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh oh! I smell a lawsuit coming!

Thanks

this looks nothing like an apple store or Gbar.

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    "Unfortunate reality?"

Best Buy is a horrible company that treats their employees like crap, and their customers like numbers. No commission, doesn't mean that the employees don't get threatened with instant final warnings, and terminations if they don't attach every useless service possible to your computer purchase. I know how that company works deep down (I won't divulge how) and I can tell you, that BBY going under would be a good thing for consumers.
    I work at best buy (for now) and you are right.

These headlines need to stop - it's to the point now where anything successful (or potentially so) having to anything remotely to do with consumer electronics is "copying/cloning" Apple.

Perhaps this wasn't the most persuasive of photos chosen, but if this is the "proof" picture, and if I had 10 thoughts about it (I don't), not ONE of them is "Man, that reminds me of an Apple Store."
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

I am not surprised that this day would come where best buy would have financial issues and might go down. In fact I'd be glad if it happens. One of the worst companies in the electronic service where I have given many chances too. They over price their products way too much and their employees I won't blame to be useless. An employee will do a job to how the company treats them. If your boss treats you like crap, why would you care for their business? When a company goes too cheap and cuts corner to take all this will happen.

Default woww
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder2005 View Post
    Yes, that "Solution Central" looks like an exact clone of the Genius Bar. ... not, lol. A desk two people and two chairs isnt quite a clone, but the offered service might be. I guess we'll see about that. In general, not a bad idea, granted theres isnt a 'Genius Bar" around every corner, but there are definitely plenty of Best Buy's (still).
    are you kidding me ? everything looks like apple now ?? I've been to the 5th av apple store and this look nothing like it..
    You guys are real pathetic.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You know Apple is the best in World. So every company want to be like Apple. Because everyone like Apple. And everyone love Apple Inc.
    So I think YES ! Best Buy and also a lot of companies cloning Apple !