+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google to Help Samsung in Legal Battle Against Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Google to Help Samsung in Legal Battle Against Apple

According to a report by The Korea Times, Samsung has confirmed that it is working with Google to defend against the patent infringement claims made by Apple. The announcement marks the first time that Samsung has confirmed receiving assistance from Google in its legal battle with Apple.

Several years ago, Google publicly announced that it was supporting Android smartphone maker HTC after the company was smacked with a lawsuit from Apple but Google hasn’t publicly indicated any such agreement with Samsung until recently. Samsung is hoping that the move will give the Korean electronics maker an advantage in the courtroom against Apple. An unnamed Samsung official was quoted by the publication as saying that the company hopes it will be able to earn royalties from Apple.

An industry source recently indicated that Apple’s newly earned injunction barring sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will cost Samsung roughly $80 million. For those of you who didn’t know, the injunction was awarded last week and went into effect immediately after Apple posted the necessary $2.6 million bond. Apple also won another injunction in the U.S. last week against Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus smartphone, the handset co-developed by Samsung and Google, running an unmodified version of Google’s Android mobile operating system. The losses on the Galaxy Nexus could be even greater than that of the tablet, as industry sources are indicating a loss of up to $120 million if the sales ban extends for two months.

We’ll have to see what move Google and Samsung will take to retaliate.

Source: The Korea Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Google got this with its 24,000 patents !

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

More competition = better devices for everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Unfortunately apple doesnt want any competitors!

Thanks

You are so right. You would have to be a fool not to think this is a good thing. This could make apple roll out with the iPhone 5 with options that they would have waited another year on. From what I hear the demand for the Galaxy S3 is pretty damn good. Apple will not want to lose this war. That means better phone for next gen iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thing is, Google has OS' on many of Samsung products, so it's no doubt that they would help out in these types of situations...

Thanks

The old apple just worked harder to make a better product , but the new apple just does not want any competition , apple have to also be carefull it does not upset its loyal customers who just want the best and not a sour apple , apple used to be cool , now they are not , its time for apple to step up and do what its best at , making cool products and not looking like a company thats lost its way

Thanks

Apple just needs to make much better products instead of trying to eliminate the competition with its lawsuits.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiipro View Post
    Apple just needs to make much better products instead of trying to eliminate the competition with its lawsuits.
    They already do make a better product. I have yet to warranty a iPhone from each model i have had. I have a few buddy's that are android guys and they are on their 2-3 replacement SG2 phones. I just cant get myself to buy one. I go into ATT and mess them and hold them and they just look and feel cheap. Plus they all look the same ;-(

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung went crawling back to Google for help, it's not going to make a difference. There's a reason why Apple is winning more lawsuits than they are losing. Android has already infringed 11 Apple and Microsoft patents. Unfortunately it doesn't matter who came up with the idea, it's who holds the patent, in this case it's Apple. Yeah all these companies steal from each other that's just the way it works, it's been that way since the beginning of Apple and Microsoft. So it doesn't really matter that Google is going to help Samsung with their lawsuits other than funding. A judge isn't going to change his/her mind just because Google is backing Samsung with this...

Thanks

If you live in the us then the choice of android phones is less , all phones really , in europe there is more choice , which is why there are less iphones in europe than the us , as for quality iam on my 4th iphone 4s ( had 6 iphone 4's ) all the problems are screen related , yellow tints , also have had android phones and none of these have broken down , if your on at&t then try an international phone , android phones are also cheaper here than in the us , apple has a new and first apple store in amsterdam and every day they exchange over 40 iphones per day due to various problems. That is good service from apple , but at the real price we pay for iphones then you expect a perfect iphone , as for ios thats another thing , it works but looks old fashioned now , as it looks like the 2007 iphone still but with a few tweaks , would love to see like android a new fresh look , but going by osx thats just a dream

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    They already do make a better product. I have yet to warranty a iPhone from each model i have had. I have a few buddy's that are android guys and they are on their 2-3 replacement SG2 phones. I just cant get myself to buy one. I go into ATT and mess them and hold them and they just look and feel cheap. Plus they all look the same ;-(
    So true! At my work we have faculty bring in their Android phone's all the time cause they're having problems with it. We do get iPhone's in but not near as much as Android. The worst part is that every Android phone is running a different OS version, so it always takes a bit longer to work on them. When we get an iPhone or an iPad in we already know where to go because it's all the same on every device. The funny thing is the faculty member is always talking about how they want to trade their Android for an iPhone, and these are people that don't know much about technology, but they do know that iOS and Apple are simple and easy to use.

Thanks

so what is Apple complaining about this time?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

but Apple got their patent on square black shape.........

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny, I could say the opposite. I went through three 3GS's (around launch) due to dead pixels. My fiance just returned her VZW 4 for a broken home button (she babied that thing and it was not user error/damage). Electronics break and fail. The fact that you have never returned an iPhone and have friends who have returned Samsung products is irrelevant in the grand scheme of tings. Apple does undoubtedly have a better customer service policy (take the phone into APPLE WHILE UNDER WARRANTY AND THEY SWAP IT OUT FOR A NEW ONE0. The "quality" of their product, as defined and explained by you, is absolutely 100% anecdotal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It was never news that google was giving patents to htc and Samsung.

Why do you guys think it's wrong for apple to sue people for infringing patents? If apple wasn't a big company you would all agree with them. They don't want no competition If any of you have any Idea Steve jobs felt EXTREMELY strong about android copying their product. What's the point in a patent if they dont use it? Apple spent years getting those patents they deserve to be able to use them. How would you feel of someone patented a life changing product then somebody copied them but they weren't allowed to sue? You wouldn't feel bad for the copiers! Same logic applies to this

The final thing is a patent is a patent and Samsung infringed it knowingly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    It was never news that google was giving patents to htc and Samsung.

Why do you guys think it's wrong for apple to sue people for infringing patents? If apple wasn't a big company you would all agree with them. They don't want no competition If any of you have any Idea Steve jobs felt EXTREMELY strong about android copying their product. What's the point in a patent if they dont use it? Apple spent years getting those patents they deserve to be able to use them. How would you feel of someone patented a life changing product then somebody copied them but they weren't allowed to sue? You wouldn't feel bad for the copiers! Same logic applies to this

The final thing is a patent is a patent and Samsung infringed it knowingly.
    +1

Thanks

I will now elaborate on my own comment.
    I don't care for "iSheeps" or "Fandroids" or any other fanboys of this or that system/vendor. Here's the thing:

There were Nokia and Rim, and everyone was making more or less similar phones to those. Then Apple decided "yo, go to hell, we will make fast responsive touchscreen mobile phone". And they did, as the first ones (no, no first in general or historically, but first in "global mobile phone" era). What happened? Nokia almost died (becoming MS personal {self-censored} is another story). RIM is, well, dead, or almost dead. They desperately try to regain at least some part of the market. Others are so minor that major players do not care for them. And everyone makes touchscreen phones now. New companies are rising.
    Technology progressed due to competition, monopoly was broken. New monopolies are being established - see apple vs. google + some vendors. It won't be long till someone else (or maybe even one of those major players) will again make a new type of device that will make progress and many companies will die again only to be reborn.

As to apple "lawsuit here, lawsuit there". Do you really think that is was not present before? No it was. There was not as much publicity, thats all. Reading about this on almost daily basis makes one think that it's just what apple does, apple is evil, blah blah blah... In reality it always was, and, unless the patent system changes, always will be.

Just have a look at Oracle (who bought SUN Microsystems) law suiting Google for JAVA usage in android. Oracle did not even created java... just bought it with the SUN.
    Or at the fact that Samsung manufactures displays for all Apple devices, along with memory modules (ram and ssd), and maybe even more.
    Or at the fact that Foxconn does not only makes Apple devices, but hell a lot more (xbox for example). Why Microsoft in not begin bashed for harsh condition of the workers?

Think before you blindly follow one company and hate another.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Last edited by Spazmonic; 07-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yea, cuz the first 3 iPhones don't look the same at all and the last 2 arent spitting images of each other. You are a moron. I went through more iPhones than I have S2's. Heres a big news flash as well, This site can say what they want, that nexus phone is still selling and the Sales have gone through the roof and haven't stopped yet. Mine will be here Thursday. Only bought it because of what this site reported. So modmyi is just helping Google.