+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Users Driven Towards Pricier Hotels According to Orbitz

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Mac Users Driven Towards Pricier Hotels According to Orbitz

According to Orbitz Worldwide Inc., users of its online web travel booking service who use a Mac tend to choose the more expensive options when booking things. The data in the report shows that users of Mac computers can spend as much as 30% more a night on hotels.

This isnít because Mac users have better taste or higher expectations though. According to Chief Scientist Wai Gen Yee, those who use a Mac are 40% more likely to book a higher rated hotel than PC users are, even mentioning that when booking in the same hotel, Mac users are likely to purchase the higher priced room. Based on data from Forrester Research, the average income for adult Mac users is about $25,000 more than that of PC owners. Itís more likely the fact that people with higher incomes tend to book more expensive hotels than those without (for obvious reasons) and they just happen to own Macs as well.

The study seems a bit vague but it should be noted that sometimes people tend to mix up correlation and causation in a situation like this. The data in Orbitzí recent report seems to make sense but also happens to leave several questions up in the air. The one thing we do know is that only time will tell if Orbitz sees an increase in higher priced bookings or an increase in user-agent spoofing.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Obviously because all Mac users are rich, and everyone else are second class citizens

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decoy88 View Post
    Obviously because all Mac users are rich, and everyone else are second class citizens
    Yup. Only the rich can afford Macs, that's why Apple will never take over windows marketshare.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Yup. Only the rich can afford Macs, that's why Apple will never take over windows marketshare.
    That and Mac doesn't license there software. Windows and apple are totally playing two different games. Sure in the end the most obvious conclusion is who has the biggest computer market share however apple does make nearly as much as Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't get money for every single product with windows they get money from the people who purchase it. Whether its successful or not Microsoft only makes so much off of it. Apple how ever makes money off of EVERY product of theirs that's sold.

Haha ofc apple users spend more I mean to qualify for an apple user you have to what own an apple computer? I guarantee any "pc" user. That's making 25000 over the average of user will have an apple computer too.

These types of articles are dumb. Statistics just use loopholes to make anything look better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get the Title "Mac Users Driven Towards Pricier Hotels According to Orbitz" this is such a poor choice of words for this article..DRIVEN? What poor journalism! Having a Mac doesn't DRIVE people to pricier hotels! Duh!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decoy88 View Post
    Obviously because all Mac users like to act rich, and everyone else are second class citizens
    Fixed.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
    I don't get the Title "Mac Users Driven Towards Pricier Hotels According to Orbitz" this is such a poor choice of words for this article..DRIVEN? What poor journalism! Having a Mac doesn't DRIVE people to pricier hotels! Duh!
    Do you have any evidence that this isn't the case? Maybe just browsing on a mac makes people think they can afford pricier hotels???

Joking (mostly) as it seems fairly obvious that someone using a more expensive computer will in general have more money to spend on luxuries. It's like producing an article saying Ferrari drivers spend more on hotels than Ford drivers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I have a MacBook pro, a new MacBook Air, and both cost me over $2000 total. Doesn't make me rich though. I am still cheap, searching all over the web for the cheapest plane ticket and the cheapest hotel package. I mean I don't choose to live in a run-down $30 a night motel but I don't pay $300 a night at a fancy hotel either. So I think it just so happens that those who purchase more expensive packages also happens to own a Mac.

That's also ironic. It also makes the Mac users kind of stupid. Which is embarrassing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    Fixed.
    Not being cheap and acting rich are two different things. If you save money every way you can, you're hardly driven to earn more. People who enjoy their money will find other ways to make more. Also with all the extra time they have not fixing their PCs it's actually possible to even pick up a second job.

Wait a min... are you that guy that gives out pennies on Halloween?! I knew you looked familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I have a MacBook pro, a new MacBook Air, and both cost me over $2000 total. Doesn't make me rich though. I am still cheap, searching all over the web for the cheapest plane ticket and the cheapest hotel package. I mean I don't choose to live in a run-down $30 a night motel but I don't pay $300 a night at a fancy hotel either. So I think it just so happens that those who purchase more expensive packages also happens to own a Mac.

That's also ironic. It also makes the Mac users kind of stupid. Which is embarrassing.
    That's different than being cheap... **** I look for the best deal for things I want but I like nicer things and if they won't go on sale I will bite the bullet. Some people let price sway their choices completely even if the thing they are buying will fall apart in half the time something more expensive would.

How does having more money and spending it on things you can afford make you dumb? Some people make more than others, I don't spend my money the same way now as I did when I was in college barely getting by. It's all a matter of perspective...
    Last edited by Norb; 06-26-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

Depends on what you're looking at. The article was saying some of these people buy more expensive packages at the same hotel another person would be at buying a cheaper package.

Isn't it dumb to see the same package or nearly identical package but one chooses to buy it for $100 more when a cheaper package was available? I pull up a search for a flight from Dayton to LA, and there are flights ranging from $350-$700. They are all coach flights just different airlines. Now why on Earth would I buy the $700 ticket when there is one for $350? If I didn't like the $350 airline well I still wouldn't go and buy the one for $700, maybe I'd find an airline I liked closer to $350-$400 but it's the same flight. Now who in the right mind is going to pay more than they have to?

Thanks

Isn't it dumb to see the same package or nearly identical package but one chooses to buy it for $100 more when a cheaper package was available?
    I don't think the article says that. The original article actually says they spend more on better rooms.

Here is another article that actually says orbitz presents more expensive rooms to Mac users. I don't think more expensive rooms means same room but costs more. I doubt many of them are even in the same hotel.
    Orbitz Presenting More Expensive Hotels to Mac Users - Mac Rumors

Thanks

I take it when it says somebody spends 30% more in a general sense, that's 30% more that is unnecessarily spent. You have two 4 star hotels in the same area, you spend on the one that's more expensive when the two separate hotels are the same ranking. Same thing isn't it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I was referring to the word Driven!
    Quote Originally Posted by fungusfeet View Post
    Do you have any evidence that this isn't the case? Maybe just browsing on a mac makes people think they can afford pricier hotels???

Joking (mostly) as it seems fairly obvious that someone using a more expensive computer will in general have more money to spend on luxuries. It's like producing an article saying Ferrari drivers spend more on hotels than Ford drivers.

Nowhere in the actual article does it say that Mac users are "Driven" it says the spend more but not "Driven" The title implies something that is not and is very misleading.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This is just proof of how stupid "apple fanboys" are.

Thanks

I take it when it says somebody spends 30% more in a general sense, that's 30% more that is unnecessarily spent. You have two 4 star hotels in the same area, you spend on the one that's more expensive when the two separate hotels are the same ranking. Same thing isn't it?
    Thing is the source article does not say a thing about it being the same type of hotel or comparable rooms. It seems like this article only does which is supposed to be based off of the source.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    This is just proof of how stupid "apple fanboys" are.
    If it would have, if it was actually accurate. Too bad some of the claims made here are not on par with the source article.
    Last edited by Norb; 06-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
    Nowhere in the actual article does it say that Mac users are "Driven" it says the spend more but not "Driven" The title implies something that is not and is very misleading.
    Not that I particularly care but something is driving them to spend more money, be it that they have more money to start with or be it they just like buying nice things they are driven by something and they own macs. So not a very misleading title, just a loose use of the word driven.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Elite machines for elite owners......