+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next Generation iMac Rumored to Not Have a Retina Display

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Earlier, the developer behind Instapaper, Marco Arment published his thoughts on the potential timeline for upgrades to Apple’s iMac and Mac Pro lines. In it, he suggested the need for
    Thanks

Default Next Generation iMac Rumored to Not Have a Retina Display

Earlier, the developer behind Instapaper, Marco Arment published his thoughts on the potential timeline for upgrades to Apple’s iMac and Mac Pro lines. In it, he suggested the need for an ultra-high resolution 5120x2880 Retina Display (either inside the 27-inch iMac or as a standalone display) is likely the most significant hurdle preventing major updates for the specific product lines.

Anticipation for new Retina iMacs has been high since the previous rumors which stated Apple was planning to bring Retina Displays to its next-generation iMac line and suggestions of updated models were rumored to be right around the corner. Unfortunately for Apple and iMac fans alike, Arment is now hearing that although the next iMac update will come later this year, it isn’t likely to include Retina Displays. He mentioned the following in his post:

I’ve now heard from multiple sources that while an iMac update is indeed coming this fall, it will not have Retina displays.
    In his post, Arment described some of the issues surrounding Retina Displays at the size needed for the 27-inch iMac, providing examples including production yield and insufficient bandwidth. What isn’t clear here is why Apple would wait until the fall to update the iMac if these issues will prevent Retina Displays from being included in the revision anyway. Apple could easily update the product lines and take advantage a slew of other much desired/needed features such as Ivy Bridge processors, improved graphic cards, and USB 3.0 to name a few. It doesn’t make sense as to why Apple would wait until the fall to update when all of the hardware upgrades are available now.

One possible reason is that the Cupertino California company is waiting to release OS X Mountain Lion in late July with the intent of following last year’s trend of launching the new line of iMacs, Mac Pros, and even Mac Minis alongside Mountain Lion. The speculation however remains unconfirmed and there isn’t any evidence to provide concrete information regarding the matter.

Source: Marco Arment
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 06-23-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone tankz504's Avatar
    Thanks

Retina iTV would be cool.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not crazy right? This is the same article from MacRumors, right?

Thanks

Man I'm sick of rumors...
    Retina display or not, I can't afford it.
    Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

no need for retina in an imac. and my apple dealer here says, new imacs will likely be out next tuesday, as his distributor has none in stock anymore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Lol
    Exactly the same feeling here.. Ha!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Lol
    I hear ya.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The 27" already has a wonderful display. The point of "retina" is to have indistinguishable pixels. We certainly have this in the 27'' iMacs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously Apple, just bring the damn refresh out already! A retina display of that size on a 27" iMac would be very expensive and outside most peoples comfortable price ranges.

I could easily see a Retina iMac being $2999 or more with maxed out hardware specs.

The current display is already awesome and it would be best to let the retina display costs come down even further before attempting to bring these to the iMac and possibly the iTV.

Thanks

I'm so sick of the term "retina"...
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    So sick it hurts your retinas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    Retina retina retina retina retina retina Retina retina retina retina retina retina Retina retina retina retina retina retina Retina retina retina retina retina retina Retina retina retina retina retina retina

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHavok View Post
    Seriously Apple, just bring the damn refresh out already! A retina display of that size on a 27" iMac would be very expensive and outside most peoples comfortable price ranges.

I could easily see a Retina iMac being $2999 or more with maxed out hardware specs.

The current display is already awesome and it would be best to let the retina display costs come down even further before attempting to bring these to the iMac and possibly the iTV.
    The current iMac is already more than that ($3,349, 27" 3.4GHz 2GB VRAM 2TB SATA + 256GB SSD 16GB DDR3) with maxed out hardware directly from the Apple Store. (Just saying... First rule of buying stock computers, don't max EVERYTHING out with a special order, you can cut the price of the expansions in half if you do them yourself... Which was the big deal about the Retina MacBook Pro of course)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't really matter if the new iMac has a retina display or not....just release the damn thing already! They're already got amazing screens as is, I don't need another $1,000 tacked on for a nicer display.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Doesn't really matter if the new iMac has a retina display or not....just release the damn thing already! They're already got amazing screens as is, I don't need another $1,000 tacked on for a nicer display.
    Ditto. They already seem retanized enough to me.