Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use A Live Satellite Image As Your Mac's Wallpaper

Default Use A Live Satellite Image As Your Mac's Wallpaper

Finding the perfect wallpaper for your Mac takes some time and searching. Then, you get bored of it after a while and the process begins again. If you want a wallpaper that is forever changing, intuitive, and fun, then check out a new Mac application called Satellite Eyes by software developer Tom Taylor. The application will set your wallpaper to a Bing (Microsoft) Satellite image of your current location.

Satellite Eyes comes with a good deal of settings. First of all, you can change the scope of your map. This option, called Zoom Level in the preferences, allows you to choose between Street view, Neighborhood view, City view, and Region view.

The application also comes with a fair number of map styles. You can choose between Bing Aerial’s default appearance, a Watercolor appearance, a Toner appearance, or a Terrain (US only) appearance.

Finally, you can also choose between three nice image effects including, the default (None), a Pixelated appearance, or a Halftone appearance.

Since Satellite Eyes requires your location to show you your general region as a Mac wallpaper, you will need to allow the application to use your location. It will update your location every couple of minutes to make sure that you location is always accurate and that the map always suggests your current location. As long as the application is using your location, you will see a location services icon in your Mac’s Menu Bar right next to the Satellite Eyes icon, which also appears in your Menu Bar. To make things easier, you can even make Satellite Eyes open up when you turn on your Mac.

Satellite Eyes is a free application, so if you have a Mac, you can give it a test drive from this link. If you don’t like it, uninstalling it is easy; just drag the application to the trash.

Sources: Macgasm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

romo (06-20-2012)

10 minutes in and still "Waiting for location fix"

Very pimp if it would work!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    not live. pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
    not live. pretty lame.
    It is live in the sense that it moves with your location. Just like Google Maps on the iPhone.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty sweet, too bad I don't own a Mac

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It is live in the sense that it moves with your location. Just like Google Maps on the iPhone.
    Also not satellite. (Unless you're very far off the beaten path)

The vast majority of both Google and Bing content is aerial photography from surveying aircraft. True satellite imagery tends to be expensive and difficult to acquire (except for very low-resolution material that NASA, USGS, etc. provide for free).

10.7.x only
    Snow leopard users beware.

Works like a charm for me. Picked up my location right away. I must say that it uses Bing aerial maps which are much much sharper and brighter than those of Google Maps. I'm impressed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Gonna try this out tonight

So, so cool. Especially the watercolor map style! I like it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Also not satellite. (Unless you're very far off the beaten path)

The vast majority of both Google and Bing content is aerial photography from surveying aircraft. True satellite imagery tends to be expensive and difficult to acquire (except for very low-resolution material that NASA, USGS, etc. provide for free).
    Agreed. These are orthographic aerials. Nothing more. Lame.

Btw - please don't advertise free live satellite coverage when it's not even close to similar.