+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Expected to Announce Windows Phone 8

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Expected to Announce Windows Phone 8

Trying to continue on with its momentum generated by the Surface tablet unveiling, Microsoft is expected to announce a revamp of plans for Windows Phone 8 as part of the company’s push to take on Apple and Google in the Mobile market. Microsoft is slated to discuss the next-generation Windows Phone 8 at a two-day long developer summit in San Francisco, with anticipated topics ranging from multi-core mobile CPU support to tighter device integration across the Windows environment.

According to CNET, developers have been relatively quiet about what is to be expected unlike Monday’s Surface tablet event which was teased last week. It is clear that the company is set to focus on its mobile OS as the invitations sent to press outlets were from Microsoft’s Windows Phone unit and depicts a mobile device sporting a Golden Gate Bridge background image. Rumors and speculation surrounding the event point to the announcement of Windows Phone 8, the next-generation mobile operating system that is said to support multi-core processors.

Microsoft aspires to create an operating system that will underpin a set of devices that run the hardware gamut but it remains to be seen whether it will be a true one-OS ecosystem that is both stable and non-fragmented. This is the same goal that Apple is trying to move towards with iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion although they are trying to do it in a more indirect way with discrete mobile and desktop operating systems.

It is also being rumored that near field communication (NFC) hardware support similar to what’s found in Android’s Google Wallet service is also set to make an appearance at the event. Apple has expressed interest in NFC technology as seen with their job descriptions and patents in the past but the company’s plans regarding the technology going forward remain largely unknown.

Whether or not Windows Phone 8 will become a contender in the smartphone market is yet to be seen but we’ll surely find out in time.

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait to see if they stepped there game up! and if you don't like windows don't comment! Cause it just starts dumb arguments.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Why didn't the just unveil it with the tablet?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm waiting as well. Honestly the Nokia Lumia 900 is a well designed phone. I'm excited to the new W8 phones and if I like the Surface Pro tablet I may get both.. Idk yet we will see.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    Because Microsoft sucks at doing conferences.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    Yeah it would have been impressive to unveil Windows Phone 8 along side Surface and both running the same OS like iOS

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Can't wait to see if they stepped there game up! and if you don't like windows don't comment! Cause it just starts dumb arguments.
    Agreed.

I had the Lumia 900 and really enjoyed Windows Mobile 7.5. Next best thing to iOS as far as I am concerned. I just love my iPhone more.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm hoping for the best!!

-Luke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    I'm hoping for the best!!

-Luke
    Kinda cool to see I'm not the only one who is not stuck on any single bandwagon. I think WP8 is gonna be great as well as Windows 8. I hope it is good and gives me a reason to try something new.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

can't wait.. I've been contemplating switching from iOS to Windows phone for a while now, but have been waiting to see how WP8 brings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

I'm following @stroughtonsmith and @chpwn while they tweet from WPSummit. The WP8 phone sounds sweet!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ouch, and they just screwed over all the new WP 7.5 owners who just got the HTC Titan II and Nokia Lumina 900 by announcing that none of the previous Windows Phones can upgrade to WP8.

Way to go Microsoft.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i sincerely hope microsoft steps up there game big time. I want there to be an actual rivalry with apple and microsoft again.

cause that will get apple to step there game up instead of holding back most of there innovations so they can release it in the future.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHavok View Post
    Ouch, and they just screwed over all the new WP 7.5 owners who just got the HTC Titan II and Nokia Lumina 900 by announcing that none of the previous Windows Phones can upgrade to WP8.

Way to go Microsoft.
    and this is why MS will fail... no upgrades? that is absolute nonsense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    Not really. When you buy a current product you by it as is. It is sold to u with the guarantee that it works on its current platform not the future ones. They have no obligation to upgrade it. That's their choice to make new software compatible with old devices.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    i sincerely hope microsoft steps up there game big time. I want there to be an actual rivalry with apple and microsoft again.

cause that will get apple to step there game up instead of holding back most of there innovations so they can release it in the future.
    I just want all companies to step up their game. More coolness for each device that comes out.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

I don't think it would be a bad idea to try windows phone. As of course apps will need to be redesigned for the iPhone (maybe) and cydia will take a while I'm sure so trying this out won't hurt. I think I will miss iMessage though

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    I guess they could just do what Apple does and allow the "upgrade", but say 95% of the new features won't work on your old device and you need the new device to use those features (Siri, turn by turn navigation, etc). Would that make you feel better?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    I guess they could just do what Apple does and allow the "upgrade", but say 95% of the new features won't work on your old device and you need the new device to use those features (Siri, turn by turn navigation, etc). Would that make you feel better?
    Couldn't say it better. However, Apple has the fanbase (and the jailbreak community for those still unsatisfied) to get away with it for now. Even if current 7 devices can't run 8 therefore justifying no upgrade path, it still looks realllly bad.
    Last edited by brodimus; 06-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i would definitely miss imessage. chaton!