+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia Credit Downgraded to 'Junk'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Nokia Credit Downgraded to 'Junk'

As MMi reported earlier this week, Nokia is planning a massive rollback of its workforce. By the end of 2013, 10,000 current Nokia workers will find themselves out of a job.

Nokia Chief Executive Stephen Elop called the forthcoming cuts essential. "These planned reductions are a difficult consequence of the intended actions we believe we must take to ensure Nokia's long-term competitive strength," he said. "We do not make plans that may impact our employees lightly, and as a company we will work tirelessly to ensure that those at risk are offered the support, options and advice necessary to find new opportunities."

A bigger immediate problem for Nokia than the planned cuts, however, is the struggling mobile phone maker's quarterly performance record of late. Not withstanding the company's plan to turn things around, Nokia says the next quarter may be even uglier than the last.

So in response to Nokia's ongoing and seemingly endless troubles, on Friday, Moody's downgraded Nokia's credit to "junk." As of this writing, all three major credit ratings firms have done the same. "Nokia's plan delineates a scale of earnings pressure and cash consumption that is larger than we had previously assumed,” a rep for Moody’s told the press this week.

So just how bad are things are Nokia? Their smartphone shipments have plummeted 60 percent year-over-year.

Source: Bloomberg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nokia 2012-2013 strategy : make 1990 phones with 50 mpx camera

Thanks

Maybe they could team with motorola and make an itunes phone with a 100 song limit and call it the rokr. Look what it did for motorola....

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Maybe they could team with motorola and make an itunes phone with a 100 song limit and call it the rokr. Look what it did for motorola....
    Yes, yes, the Rokr is what saved Moto
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

If I was Nokia I would take a roll of the dice and hire 2-3 of the JB Devs and make the ultimate phone

Thanks

In the words of Nelson, "ha-ha"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

They struggle with smartphones but dumbphones are still a big seller. Not everyone wants to be able to do a million things on a phone. Just ask my Gran!

Nokia may be reducing staff but they will be fine. What company hasn't had to reduce staff at some point?

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Nokia should team up with Blackberry and go out of business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    Lol agree. I remember when people were super cool because they had a blackberry
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol! Yeah they should!

Nokia just didn't jump into the game when they should have. Now tons of people are going to lose their job because of that. Nokia still makes good phones, but they haven't done anything to match iOS and Android. At this point I don't see that happening at all. Sure the Lumia is out.....but it's the Lumia......and it has Windows on it......

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You are absolutely right... I as a consumer enjoy having less choices!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nokia failed to adapt their hardware or software quick enough to the rapidly changed "smartphone" industry. Their smartest move of late was partnering with Microsoft and Windows Phone 7 but I think they would have done exceedingly better had they adopted Android several years earlier.

There used to be a time when almost everyone was walking around with a Nokia, and to be fair they made very good phones. But now if someone owns a smartphone chances are its going to be a Samsung smartphone or an iPhone.
    Samsung have flourished with Android and Nokia could have done the same. I dont know if it's too late for them to recover. They still have boat loads of patents that are in use in every phone, including iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Odd. For a site that prides itself on keeping things "on topic" we sure do go out of our way to snoop in the doings of other cell phone companies...when the news is negative for them...in matters that aren't related to an "Apple-centric fan site".

Just sayin.......

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Odd. For a site that prides itself on keeping things "on topic" we sure do go out of our way to snoop in the doings of other cell phone companies...when the news is negative for them...in matters that aren't related to an "Apple-centric fan site".

Just sayin.......
    Yeah it's been said before. Someone will argue that it's relevant because Nokia is a competitor to Apple, but never the less, only negative news about Apples competitors is ever "reported" here. Never the positive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post

Just sayin.......
    The catastrophic failings of a company in the same smartphone space as Apple is newsworthy, in part because Apple is causing it. If, for some reason, Apple's presence in this arena had a positive effect on another company (say, a carrier) then that is newsworthy as well, and MMi often reports it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    The catastrophic failings of a company in the same smartphone space as Apple is newsworthy, in part because Apple is causing it.!
    While that may be obvious to the frequent member of this.....we don't need to receive updates as to every time Nokia goes deeper into the abyss. We are all WELL aware of the impact Apple has had on numerous other manufacturers both positive and negative.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't understand what has happened to blackberry, they were the coolest before but now they are nothing

Thanks

Its really sad to see the heavy hitters fall. I say this cause it would have been too easy to stay in the game. You know, improve upon current technology instead of investing in flip phones. That would have been a good start haha! Not cool that 10,000 will lose jobs but that is the effect of not reacting to what the consumer wants and needs. Hopefully this is not there swan song and they bounce back competitively.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    It isn't a good thing for consumers if all we have is Apple and Google devices.