+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: Replacing Retina Display MacBook Pro Battery Will Cost $199

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple: Replacing Retina Display MacBook Pro Battery Will Cost $199

Image by iFixit

It was openly announced at WWDC and also shown in detail by iFixit that the insides of the MacBook Pro are very tight and custom-made. In fact, what iFixit found was that the RAM, flash storage, and some other components that were previously capable of being replaced by aftermarket parts are not capable of being switched out by the end user in the new Retina display MacBook Pro because they are not the same as consumer components that could be placed into older MacBook Pro models. This is due to the machine being so slim.

The battery in the new Retina display MacBook Pro is even glued in – offering almost no chance of an end user being able to replace the battery himself or herself with an off-brand replacement. It almost guarantees Apple the business of replacing the battery when something goes wrong with the notebook computer. So what does Apple do with this kind of power? – Why, take advantage of it, of course!

Apple will charge a hefty fee of $199 to replace a battery in the new Retina display MacBook Pro. That is the price of a brand new iPod touch, just to get a replacement battery for the new, high-resolution notebook computer. The new price is a steep 54% price increase, according to ComputerWorld, which cites Apple's previous price of replacing batteries in older MacBook Pro models to be just $129.

How exactly does one justify the price increase? It could be humorously assumed that it requires more effort by Apple's workers to chisel the battery out of the computer case because of the glue that they purposely put in there. Or maybe it’s more realistically because of the better battery, which is more expensive to produce and replace than older versions because of the amount of juice it can hold.

Since the price is now more expensive to replace the battery in the new Retina display MacBook Pro, we can offer the advice to all who have bought the new notebook to practice safe battery-preservation steps to prolong the life of the battery. Don’t leave it charging for long periods of time, be sure to unplug the MacBook Pro during thunderstorms, and try to go through full power-cycles instead of excessive charging when not needed.

Sources: ComputerWorld via MacRumors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

How do iFixit always get their hands on pre-release tech? When all they are going to do is pull it apart?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ich finde das ein kleiner Preis für einen so guten Computer. apple es wieder einmal geschafft die Technik zu revolutionieren

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hmm... that's indeed hefty price. Will be even more here in europe, 300$ converted, that's for sure.
    However, in all honesty, except for faulty modules, how many of you have ever had to replace battery in under 3 years in your macbook (any model)?
    I do deliberately say "macbook", comparison to other vendors won't make much sense.
    I am yet to replace battery in my '09 MBP. Coconutbattery application states age of my mac to be 36 months and capacity of 5392mAh out of 6500mAh designed (82%).
    Comments on that?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Hmm... that's indeed hefty price. Will be even more here in europe, 300$ converted, that's for sure.
    However, in all honesty, except for faulty modules, how many of you have ever had to replace battery in under 3 years in your macbook (any model)?
    I do deliberately say "macbook", comparison to other vendors won't make much sense.
    I am yet to replace battery in my '09 MBP. Coconutbattery application states age of my mac to be 36 months and capacity of 5392mAh out of 6500mAh designed (82%).
    Comments on that?
    It is a rare practice indeed. But, it's a random event when a battery fails. It's not always due to over-usage, but parts can sometimes be faulty.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not gonna lie the prices for apple products is ridiculous

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It is a rare practice indeed. But, it's a random event when a battery fails. It's not always due to over-usage, but parts can sometimes be faulty.
    True that, I've never had a battery go out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by control635 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie the prices for apple products is ridiculous
    +1
    It really ruins my perspective that they are in it for the consumers. Threw that lie away a long time ago:/
    Customer service is awesome though, ha.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Right, but if it is faulty, apple will replace it. No charge to you. So it's all good in my eyes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

There are many design flaws with it. First off, with everything being solder to the board, what if something fails and needs replacing. I find what they are doing here is kind of stupid and Apple is starting to become an evil empire rather than a tech giant

Green Apple
    Thanks

Too expensive for a battery

Thanks

Evil empire? It is a giant multi-national corporation. It's job is to bring the most return to its shareholders (including me). Everything else is secondary. Welcome to the "real" world.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hahaha...may as well not let go of your ankles after the first time you bend over for apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    So not only are you buying a top of the line computer (from 2010) with an exceptional display - you're also unable to do anything to YOUR own product after you purchase it? Sounds terrible to me. Shame the retina display is on such a mediocre specced computer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    How do iFixit always get their hands on pre-release tech? When all they are going to do is pull it apart?
    They find the fastest way to get the new devices and start right away taking it apart. Like the 4S they flew to australia to get some of the first; I beleive that's what I read about them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

$199, not bad, the battery for my 7 year old Windows laptop was £120

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    There are many design flaws with it. First off, with everything being solder to the board, what if something fails and needs replacing. I find what they are doing here is kind of stupid and Apple is starting to become an evil empire rather than a tech giant
    With the exception of RAM & hard drives, they've been doing that ever since the flat panel iMacs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still sounds better than my VAIO laptop which went bad within a year and would cost me $500 to replace. The max capacity of that battery was 3 hrs