+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Retina Display MacBook Pros: Not Customizable

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Retina Display MacBook Pros: Not Customizable

Did you think you were going to buy the lowest end Retina Display MacBook Pro (to save some money) and then just upgrade the hardware with your own later on? Ha! Think again. According to a recent tear-down by iFixit, Apple is getting insanely close to offering absolutely no aftermarket customizations by the end user. Just take a look at the motherboard image above.

The box bordered with a green color represents the new 2012 MacBook Proís memory located in the main logic board. The memory is custom, and no regular laptop memory stick is going to be able to be slipped in there like older MacBook Pro models such as 2011 and older. The orange box represents the MacBook Pro's processor, which is the new Ivy Bridge series from Intel. The red box represents the new NVIDA graphics chip that replaced the ATI graphics from the 2011 model of MacBook Pros.

Also, donít expect to be putting your own hard disk drives or solid state drives in your new Retina Display MacBook Pro. The Retina Display MacBook Pro uses its own flash storage that is a little bit similar to the MacBook Airís version. These are custom-fit for the new MacBook Pro as well.

In the older models of the MacBook Pro, Apple allowed the user to change out hard disk drives with other hard disk drives or even solid state drives. The user could also exchange their memory for more memory. If daring users were to go further, they could even remove their CD/DVD drive to add a secondary storage drive with a third party accessory.

With such little accessibility from the end user, Apple is really locking users out of their own hardware with the new 2012 release. However, due to the new slim design of the 2012 MacBook Pro, it is semi-understandable that general hardware would have some trouble fitting. This is especially so with the large battery packs, dual fans, and custom logic board. Unfortunately, it might be a better idea to stick with your older non-Retina Display MacBook Pro if you want your own performance for the right price. Apple charges a pretty penny for their factory upgrades online.

Sources: iFixit via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me korbyn8495's Avatar
    Thanks

The new MacBook Pro does NOT have a solid state drive; the system interfaces with the flash memory directly. SSD: Flash memory → HDD controller emulator → SATA/eSATA → logic board. The new MBP: Flash memory → logic board.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

why would anyone need to upgrade this? other then upgrading the battery i find no other reason too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can someone explain the difference between a regular hard drive and the "flash drive" they are putting in the new MBP?

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    why would anyone need to upgrade this? other then upgrading the battery i find no other reason too.
    Say that in 2-3 years. The point is $2100-$3000 is a large investment for the average consumer these days.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks
    dickhead move by apple. they are slowly pushing their limits.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well this is the trade off for it's thin-ness. Get over it.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Exactly. With those specs your pretty much set. I'm ready to buy the baseline retina Mac. I've been holding out with my white MacBook and its still running so smooth.

Thanks

Ill wait til it has an oled screen, ddr4, 1 or 2TB ssd and most apps support retina... so in like 4 years then

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

#1 reason to buy a Windows PC. The hardware in many PC's can be upgraded as newer and better technology comes along

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this isnt really new news, this was already said at wwdc

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djrobstephens View Post
    Can someone explain the difference between a regular hard drive and the "flash drive" they are putting in the new MBP?
    HDD is a physical disk that is read/burned physically. flash drive would be like a SSD or basically similar to the storage function of a USB drive. its less likely to break and basically your data is slightly more safe for a more expensive cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eaterofpies View Post
    HDD is a physical disk that is read/burned physically. flash drive would be like a SSD or basically similar to the storage function of a USB drive. its less likely to break and basically your data is slightly more safe for a more expensive cost.
    And faster

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eaterofpies View Post
    You don't burn anything with a hard disk drive. You write and read from it using magentism. CD/DVD technology "burns" information into the disk. The articles I've read on the subject clearly provided stats stating that SSDs fail at a higher rate than HDDs. You'd think SSDs would be more reliable, but I haven't seen that proven yet.
    Hmm...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GhStRdR2k View Post
    this isnt really new news, this was already said at wwdc
    Something has to be posted for this site to get hits, even if it's old news or isn't really news at all.....wonder why no one has made an article about how judge, Lucy Koh denied Apples request to ban the Galaxy S III

Analysis: Apple's big enemy in smartphone wars: delay | Reuters
    from my rooted Droid DNA

Thanks

In short. Just because you know doesn't mean a lot of people do. A lot of people didn't know WWDC was already here so fast

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    In short. Just because you know doesn't mean a lot of people do. A lot of people didn't know WWDC was already here so fast
    In short, if your a member of this site and follow anything apple I'm sure you would of known about WWDC. It's not like n00bs come here on a daily basis and don't know anything about apple. Most people that visit this site regularly pretty much know this stuff. Same thing with Google, i follow them and i know their I/O is in about 2 weeks.

Edit: Anyone know why i have to click on "see original post" to be able to view all the post?
    from my rooted Droid DNA

Thanks

Well that's a shame. I still really want it.

What to do... What to do...

Dang, this really sucks. I was kind of hoping to do that.

What to do? What to do?
    Last edited by Goof; 06-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Why would you want to upgrade a $2000 computer that has specs comparable to a computer from 2010?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    #1 reason to buy a Windows PC. The hardware in many PC's can be upgraded as newer and better technology comes along
    Then you also have the #1 reason not to buy a Windows PC. Windows.