+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MacBook Pro With Retina Display Review Roundup

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Reviews of the new MBP with Retina Display are creeping in and the consensus seems to be “looook at that pretty screeeeeeeeen.” PC Mag PC Mag bestowed the MBPwRD with
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MacBook Pro With Retina Display Review Roundup

Reviews of the new MBP with Retina Display are creeping in and the consensus seems to be “looook at that pretty screeeeeeeeen.”

PC Mag

PC Mag bestowed the MBPwRD with their Editor’s Choice “for high-end desktop replacement laptop PCs.” They were enamored with the “brilliant Retina display” the thin design, port selection and speedy storage. They highlighted the expansibility via Thunderbolt ports which support up to seven devices each, and two additional monitors, making the MBPwRD a potential video production powerhouse for the editor on the move. USB 3.0 performance was also impressive with a 1.22GB test folder transferring in 21 seconds, which is half the time it took over a standard USB 2.0 port.

Engadget

The new Pro fills an interesting void design wise according to Engadget as it “feels considerably heavier than the Air, and not that much lighter than the old Pro.” But, still if your current laptop is the current 15-inch Pro the change in size and weight should feel “refreshing.” Engadget was also impressed with the new MagSafe 2 adapter and the performance of the new onboard speakers. The new display stole the show again though as Engadget called it “Absolutely gorgeous.” More pixels, better viewing angles, contrast boosted, and glare reduced, the new display is the king of the show. Battery life exceeded Apple’s claims with the 2.6GHz quad-core model coming in at 7 hours and 49 minutes in standard battery rundown test.

Time’s Techland

While the review is written for the less tech savvy, the same praise can found throughout. Beautiful screen, sleek design, and blazing fast internals. However, the author does note that early adopters will have to put up with the technical glitches found in programs not optimized for the new display. Still, the last paragraph is an optimistic outlook that the new MBPwRD is signal of things to come. t’s the most refined, advanced PC that Apple has produced to date. And it’s a safe bet that the ideas it exhibits will be reflected in future models from the company, including ones with smaller screens and smaller price tags. It’s both a great computer, and a preview of great computers to come.

AnandTech

As usual AnandTech goes to great lengths to benchmark and test every single aspect of the new MBPwRD. While their results could support multiple articles strung out over a weeks time, the rundown is this:

Second best black level performance next to the Razer Blade, and middle of the road white level (aka brightness). However, the increase in black performance has pushed the contrast ratio into second place which increases the screens perceived brightness and clarity. Anandtech benchmarked the SSD and USB 3.0 speeds as well, coming away impressed with both. But, again the high-resolution screen

While the general consensus has been overwhelmingly positive, Apple has instituted a number of design features that are likely to peeve some power users off, especially those who enjoy tinkering with their machines.

Apple, in order to fit the massive battery inside the new MBPwRD and shrink the physical size, has gone completely proprietary component wise. The SSD drive isn’t a 2.5-inch drive, and is likely different from the MBA’s. That 8GB of RAM that comes standard is soldered into the logic board (better upgrade to 16GB out of the box). Also, the Display and top part of the case are a single unit and the giant battery inside is glued in. Apple is known for the lengths they’re willing to go to make their products impervious to tinkering (pentalobe screws anyone?), but they’ve reached a new level with the MBPwRD.

Still, it’s tough to judge Apple’s intentions. Were they purposefully trying to restrict user access to the inside of their device, or is the lack of access a byproduct of the design team pushing the boundaries? There is literally no other way Apple could maintain the form factor of the new MBPwRD and make it user-upgrade friendly. The future of laptops in general looks dim for the user-upgrade inclined consumers (myself included).
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 06-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh man I feel like this is going to be great

Thanks

The lack of upgrade-ability ticks me off...and while the retina display is no doubt beautiful, it's not worth the price hike IMO.

Apple may have lost me with all these decisions.

Thanks

There is no doubt in my mind that this is going to be a great seller and a fantastic product(which I believe it already is). However, I see why apple capped the upgrade capability. They would top out their upgrades= no sales for later products/upgrades
    The screen is gorgeous no doubt but for the price... I'll be passing by this one.
    Retina has spoiled us to the point where we don't care how much we
    Pay.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

My $700 Toshiba has all that but the retina which I really don't care for. I have never cared for the MacBook but I saved myself a good $1500 with this and mine plays games really well

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    My $700 Toshiba has all that but the retina which I really don't care for. I have never cared for the MacBook but I saved myself a good $1500 with this and mine plays games really well
    So your $700 Toshiba came with one of the fastest SSDs atleast 256GB, better speakers, better battery life, weight less than 5 lbs, quietest fans ever, glass touch pad that can't be compete let alone a beautiful thin form factor shave from a solid block of aluminum? Oh, let's not mentioned about the RETINA display. You get what you pay and there is a reason why your Toshiba is $700.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suade8880 View Post
    So your $700 Toshiba came with one of the fastest SSDs atleast 256GB, better speakers, better battery life, weight less than 5 lbs, quietest fans ever, glass touch pad that can't be compete let alone a beautiful thin form factor shave from a solid block of aluminum? Oh, let's not mentioned about the RETINA display. You get what you pay and there is a reason why your Toshiba is $700.
    +1

not to mention the design beautiful design which apple has warped and perfected over the many years. Or the amazing spaced and really the best laptop keyboard that is worth typing on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Now if only it wasn't so expensive and uncustomizable. I really wanted one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't customize is über fail on Apples part. Not worth 2100 for me if I can't upgrade it. They can take their retina crap and shove it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
    +1

not to mention the design beautiful design which apple has warped and perfected over the many years. Or the amazing spaced and really the best laptop keyboard that is worth typing on.

In his defense though, is the design and keyboard worth $1500 extra? Also just buy a nice LED 1080p monitor for when he's at his house.

Despite that I plan to buy the new MBPwRD, what I want to know is that if some how you were able to acquire apples new ram can you replace the one that is already attached to the motherboard?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ceramicwhite View Post
    In his defense though, is the design and keyboard worth $1500 extra? Also just buy a nice LED 1080p monitor for when he's at his house.

Despite that I plan to buy the new MBPwRD, what I want to know is that if some how you were able to acquire apples new ram can you replace the one that is already attached to the motherboard?
    Unless you want to replaced the motherboard you will not be able to upgrade the ram unfortunately. They are directly soldered in. Perhaps you can with the SSD down the road when other manufactures start making them specifically just like the MBA.