+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Pays $150 For Each MacBook Pro Retina Display Panel

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. That is clearly the example illustrated this week as Apple launches the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. As MMi previously
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Pays $150 For Each MacBook Pro Retina Display Panel

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. That is clearly the example illustrated this week as Apple launches the new MacBook Pro with Retina display.

As MMi previously reported, the refreshed - and redesigned - 15-inch MacBook Pro with a gorgeous 2,880 x 1,880-pixel Retina Display is a hot commodity on Apple's website with demand growing by the hour. But in order to facilitate this impressive update, Apple had to cough up a substantial chunk of change for each unit.

Industry sources cited by DigiTimes claim that Samsung and LG Display are the most likely providers of the spectacular panels, which are said to cost Apple at least $150 each.

The new generation of MacBook Pro features upgraded panels with thickness of 2cm and weight of 2.13kg. Although the retail price has been set at $2,199, panel makers believe the new product is still attractive to consumers.
    Although Apple has certainly released more affordable products in the past, DigiTimes appears correct in the assertion that sticker shock isn't a factor that will depress demand. If anything, Apple's appetite for high-res panels will likely inspire Apple's chief competitors to invest in the same Retina display panels for their competing devices.

Source: DigiTimes

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's an impressive piece of equipment. Exactly 5 years ago I bought my Macbook Pro 17" will the Hi Res screen and 4 gigs of RAM. I really wish they had a 17" with retina display for me to replace my old 17" machine with.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Well besides the $150. The price of the MacBooks are nearly double so there still making huge profit. They could do $300 a panel and still be sittin pretty. But $2200 for that MacBook still isn't a bad price given the specs are phenomenal. I will buy one, one day. But I was hoping for an iMac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So, for a $50-100 increase in the price of the panel, they are charging $1k more??

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    So, for a $50-100 increase in the price of the panel, they are charging $1k more??
    Not really. You gotta understand the graphics card. The RAM the display. The hard drive (if any). Are completely amazing. If it was just a regular MacBook with only retina I'm sure it would be lower. But it's not that bad of a price though

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple needs to stop with the self proclaimed 'worlds best' 'most advanced' taglines. Spoiler alert...they aren't.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Apple needs to stop with the self proclaimed 'worlds best' 'most advanced' taglines. Spoiler alert...they aren't.
    Tell that to every company then.!!
    Everyone claims theirs is the best.