+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Actively Courting '.apple' Domain

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
.Com just isn't good enough for Apple. The tech titan is looking to buck tradition in a very self-promotional fashion as the company lobbies for a new website address that
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Actively Courting '.apple' Domain

.Com just isn't good enough for Apple. The tech titan is looking to buck tradition in a very self-promotional fashion as the company lobbies for a new website address that could launch the era of the ".apple" domains.

The AP reported Wednesday morning that the beans were spilled on Apple's plan at a London-based conference. As it turns out, ".apple" is in good company among the proposed domains that other iconic brands are similarly looking to establish.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers says thousands of requests have been made. They include the likes of ".microsoft," ".bing," ".android," ".amazon," and even ".bestbuy." To give you an example of how big this pool of pitches presently is, as of this writing, there are only about 300 active domain suffixes around the world today.

Companies would be able to create separate websites and separate addresses for each of their products and brands, even as they keep their existing ".com" name. Businesses that joined the Internet late, and found desirable ".com" names taken, would have alternatives.
    All told, about half of the proposals came from North America with another 675 requests coming out of Europe.

Although the public can now comment on the proposals, it should be noted that companies don't take these pitches lightly. Why not? In addition to a review period of at least one or two years before a decision to accept or decline the proposal is made, companies had to pay $185,000 per proposal.

Source: AP

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I for one would go against this, not fond of remembering the name and then their own .xxx.
    Plus there would be lots of useless company asking for their own xxx.dumb

Where can I go to vote against this?
    Last edited by unison999; 06-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

.xxx websites

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

I will create my website with .apple domain as I have .com

Thanks

Not sure of the benefit of using such a name, other than publicity..Maybe this is the future of .com, .org, .net and so on? Guess we will have to wait and see if the $185,000 will be well spent or another Corporate waste.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Not sure of the benefit of using such a name, other than publicity..Maybe this is the future of .com, .org, .net and so on? Guess we will have to wait and see if the $185,000 will be well spent or another Corporate waste.
    $185,000....
    Apple made that within four hours of the iPhone 4S preorder!!!

I doubt very highly that the money is an issue. So if they haven't already filed for it, then there's obviously other reasons as to why they may or may not get the domain.

Regardless, though, it's still a waste...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In for com.apple

If they allow .anythinghereyouwant then anyone should be able to register a domain at that .anything

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebusiness11 View Post
    In for com.apple

If they allow .anythinghereyouwant then anyone should be able to register a domain at that .anything
    So let me get this straight.

So if I wanted to lookup iphone products on bestbuy from my iphone would I go to iphone.apple.bestbuy? or would it be apple.iphone.bestbuy or is it iphone.apple.bestbuy.bestbuy

I think i'll register best.buy real quick just for giggles.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

..apple isnt being retarded if you dont like it blame the ICANN. They decided for more money they would allow people to buy .blanks for tons of money.

apple isnt getting it cause its not good enough for them they just dont want to have some perv get it.

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 412 Posts

you cant. and must not read the news. open registration for new gTLD's was announced today. ANY company with the money can register anything they want provided its not taken. will cost you around 500K per year to keep it though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about jailbreak.apple. Do you think I could get that one?