+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMac and Mac Pro Refresh May Not Arrive until 2013

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default iMac and Mac Pro Refresh May Not Arrive until 2013

According to David Pogue from The New York Times, an Apple executive suggests new iMacs and Mac Pros might not arrive until 2013. Updates to Apple’s desktop computers were noticeably absent from the event.

"Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro," he wrote. "An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

Apple did update the Mac Pro silently on Monday, but it did so with a two-year-old processor, rather than the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 chip that many had been expecting. Blogger and developer Marco Arment claimed the update was “half-assed” noting that Apple appeared to have sent the message that it “doesn’t give a sh*t about the Mac Pro.”

Leading up to WWDC, many sources suggested that Apple would release a redesigned iMac. Others expressed feares that Mac desktops would soon be discontinued due to the increased role of portables in Apple’s Mac sales. The issue was further exacerbated with Apple’s revenue mainly being driven by the iOS platform and the success of the iOS devices that utilize it. Even if you take a look back at Apple’s last “Back to the Mac” event in 2010, although the focus of the event was on OS X and the Mac, the event ended up largely centered around a new MacBook Air that drew inspiration from the iPad and the iOS platform.

We’ll have to wait around for more concrete news regarding the Mac desktops.

Source: Marco Arment, The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

mac pros are outdated and should be stopping production. mac minis are smaller and just as good. imacs are the beasts of desktops and i hope they get updated

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    mac pros are outdated and should be stopping production. mac minis are smaller and just as good. imacs are the beasts of desktops and i hope they get updated
    I disagree. Mac Pros have an important place in the world for people who want to use OS X for intensive calculations, or video editing. My employer has a few Mac Pros for calculating physics data. I know my local Apple Store runs the entire store off a single 2010 Mac Pro, and I'm told most stores use a MP for this. There are also those of us who just like raw computing power, and OS X. I was intending to drop close to 6k on a Mac Pro that I've been saving up for the refresh. I'm going to wait to see if this next refresh happens.
    -FBIRyuJin

Thanks

Mac Pros are still being used by high end companies for production use. The heavy processing is a must for any professional in the music and film industry. Some people can get away with the iMac but when it comes to film editing, the Mac pro is still the standard for Mac users. Mac minis are not "just as good" believe me, I have owned and worked on every Apple desktop system and my Mac Pro outshines them all in performance. Mac mini is a good starter Mac, iMac is for your more serious apple player but as a professional, Mac Pro is never out of the question. Stopping production of it would be moronic.

Thanks

The Mac Pros are updated. Look at the store, it has the 'New' banner on it. They just didn't say anything about it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

The Mac Pro is an excellent machine with limitless capabilities. It just needs an update. If you want to talk about beast, the Mac Pro is it. The Mac mini is OK for a starter Mac and not anywheres close to as good as a Pro. How many drive bays does a Mini have... oh yeah, just one. iMacs are nice desktops too, but I wouldn't say a beast. I would choose a Mac Pro over all of them if Apple would keep it up to date.

As far as someone pointing out the "new" banner on the Mac Pro, so what? Apple leaves that there till a new one comes out... if you would of looked at the iMac page it says "new" too for the last year or so.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

According to MacRumors, Days Since an iMac Update is 406 and the Average is 273!!! I've been waiting so patiently to buy an iMac for work as I've been using my 2006 15" MBP Core Duo with only max 2gb ram and it is S L O W and the screen is way too small for what I do. I hate buying anything from Apple unless I buy it within the first week of production, otherwise I feel like Im not getting the most for my money. I'm REALLY hoping they do a silent update just to put the sandy bridge and better graphics card or something in there SOON. If it's not coming until 2013, Im either going to go crazy... or end up going crazy and buying on off eBay.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see Mac Pro's being done, but I highly doubt Apple will get rid of the iMac. Tons of people purchase iMacs for home and work use, a lot more than the Mac Pro. We'll probably see a thinner iMac (their thinnest model yet) with flash memory option, USB 3.0 ports, Thunderbolt ports, and possibly a Retina Display all running Mountain Lion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

sorry but in no way is a mac mini just as good. no internal or hardware raid support. no full size optical drive bays which means SLOW laptop sized disc burners. very weak graphics with no expandability. sorry, but a mac mini will never be a mac pro.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously? 2013 for an iMac refresh?!?! No way in hell am I waiting around that long as I've been waiting for the last 8 months only to be let down! I'm waiting until next month and see if a silent update comes with the release of Mountain Lion and hopefully so as I believe this was done to drive more people into buying the new MacBook Pros.

Having people wait until 2013 would seriously age them in the desktop area and with competitors putting out nice AIO units (Yeah, I'm looking at that new Dell right now), Apple had better get it's act together.

Thanks

someone just said mac pros are just as good as mac minis...lolol.
    Have fun doing 3 million poly vray renders on a mac mini.