+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSD and USB 3.0 Performance Benchmarks for New MacBooks Released

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default SSD and USB 3.0 Performance Benchmarks for New MacBooks Released

It was a given that Apple’s Macs would be receiving performance improvements courtesy of new SSDs and USB 3.0 at WWDC. The folks over at AnandTech were able to benchmark the data for the two new features courtesy of a review unit of the new MacBook.

It was rumored that the updated MacBook would be receiving Samsung’s 830 series SSD. The report from AnandTech seems to be consistent as they narrowed down the choices to the 830 series as the most likely scenario noting the review unit appears to be approaching a read speed of 500 MB/s with a write speed of roughly 400 MB/s. Below is what the report mentioned regarding the SSD:

The same updated SSD is present across all of Apple’s lineup: from the MacBook Air to the next-gen MacBook Pro. Based on the model number in Apple’s System Report I’d guess my review sample features a Samsung based drive… I ran a few tests using Quick Bench to validate Apple’s claims. In general it looks like read speed approaches 500MB/s, while sequential writes are closer to 400MB/s

As far as USB 3.0 performance goes, there seems to be quite a performance boost from USB 2.0 from the early 2011 MacBook Pro model. Below is what the report mentioned regarding USB 3.0 performance:

USB 3.0 performance is much improved over the previous generation MacBook Pro. I used an Apricorn SATA to USB 3.0 adapter to measure copy time to/from a 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD. The performance gap between USB 2.0 and 3.0 is nothing short of significant.
    Those of you who waited around for an upgrade won’t be disappointed with the results!

Source: AnandTech

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

eww thats pretty bad, far under the 500+ most PC's see.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well go on a Windoze forum and tell someone who cares

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    eww thats pretty bad, far under the 500+ most PC's see.
    Very few PCs with SSDs get 500+

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Very few PCs with SSDs get 500+
    You also must pay attention to the size of the file. A limitation with USB is that it overloads it's own buffer with larger files, which can show some fluctuation in the file transfer. This, in turn, will create a lower average. However, ^ this guy is spot on. VERY few PCs will see that speed.. and definitely not through USB3..

Thanks

ADATA SSD's are the only Sata SSDs that I have seen get over 500MBps, of course PCI-E SSDs will get higher but they cost in the thousands.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Excited to finally have USB 3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chstriker11 View Post
    You also must pay attention to the size of the file. A limitation with USB is that it overloads it's own buffer with larger files, which can show some fluctuation in the file transfer. This, in turn, will create a lower average. However, ^ this guy is spot on. VERY few PCs will see that speed.. and definitely not through USB3..
    the first benchmarks are hard drive based not usb, so buffering has nothing to do with it, it has to do with the choice of ssd they are using. and again depending on what ssd you use in ANY pc you will see 500 easily, and no i don't mean commercial grade expensive drives, several consumer grade drives easily hit these speeds just depends on what controller the ssd uses and the IOPS it is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    ADATA SSD's are the only Sata SSDs that I have seen get over 500MBps, of course PCI-E SSDs will get higher but they cost in the thousands.
    completely wrong.