+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Quietly Updates Mac Pros, Feature Faster Processors and Not Much Else

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Quietly Updates Mac Pros, Features Faster Processors and Not Much Else

Amidst all the hoopla over Apple’s delicious next generation MacBook Pro, the fact Apple updated the Mac Pro for the first time in 2 years quietly slid under the radar.

The updated Mac Pros appear physically the same as before, but feature beefed up internals. The rumored specs and three different models proved to be correct with the cheapest Xeon 3.2 GHz quad-core model costing $2,499, the 2.4GHz 12-core option starting at $3,799, and the 3.2 GHz Server model starting at $2,999. The 12-core model does have a RAM advantage with the ability to support up to 64GB of DDR3 RAM compared to the Quad-Core and Server which support up to 32GB. All models can now feature optional SSD drives as well.

Sadly it appears Apple didn’t include Thunderbolt, or USB 3.0 connectivity. These two omission seem quite odd especially considering the I/O feature set of the new MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs. While the update appears to add speed, it’s unclear what other sizeable advantages the new Mac Pros add for power users over previous models.

Apple bumped up the build-to-order options as well giving users the option to add an additional Radeon HD 5770 1GB graphics card or a ATI Radeon 5870 1GB card. Also, users can cram two 3.06GHz Intel Xeon 6-core processors into their Mac Pros.

The added speed, and other minor upgrades make sure the Mac Pros will stay compatible with OS X Mountain Lion, and imply users looking for power should buy now, but are simply underwhelming.

Apple: Apple

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The Mac Pro's don't deserve the "Pro" title. They are severely over priced and under powered. For half the price you can build a PC with significantly better specs, including a 24" LED Display. Buying a Mac Pro is the definition of more money than sense

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

It would have been better to not update the Mac Pro, than to do this minor spec bump after several large updates to the other platforms. This is just spitting in the face of us power users/professionals. Unfortunately for some of my work I do need a Mac, so now I have to choose between a Mac Pro, and an iMac. I don't care for all-in-ones.
    -FBIRyuJin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Phillip Swanson, you hit in right on the nose. I was completely disappointed and really looking forward to a new desktop that unfortunately, there is nothing new with.

As a video editor and digital media associate, the lack of a new iMac is pushing me strongly towards an HP Z1. Yes, I said it....screw Apple.

Since I am working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 a lot, one of the huge advantages is that it works equally well with Mac and PC and after talking to several of my friends up in high places, I am considering HP option as numero uno.

Also, not to mention that after two years of waiting the MacBook got a very minor update; a speed bump and increases in RAM. Woopty Freagin Doo!

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thunderbolt as you mentioned.

OOOooooh and a new Safari that syncs all your Apple devices. Oh yea, I get that with Google Chrome and/or Firefox, thank you very much.

Any other thoughts on this, or are Phillip and I the only ones who find the newest Apple updates boring!
    Last edited by Cer0; 06-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks

I agree with feidhlim-they are sadly overpriced. Its not hard to come up with something similar for a much more reasonable price.
    But then again, apple products have always been overpriced, no point in complaining now.
    Jasonkarsnow, it is many times more cost efficient (and fun) to build your own workstation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would love to build my own machine, but I haven't the slightest clue on how to do so, nor do I want to pay someone to put it together for me. But yes, macbook pros are very much overpriced with very little to offer, especially for editors and retouchers.

The high res screens really down not do too much for consumers, except the ones who are like "WHooaa retina display! It's the best screen ever!" Ehh no. The screens on the Macbooks are some of the worst out there for seeing accurate color.