Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 to Exclude the Original iPad?

Default iOS 6 to Exclude the Original iPad?

iOS 6 beta (build 10A5316k) is expected to make its appearance at WWDC this week. It seems that some of the beta links for iOS 6 have made their way out just a little bit early, according to Chinese forum WeiPhone.com, however the links are not quite working yet. This could mean that Apple is beginning to prepare their developer download links to the iOS 6 beta that will be revealed so that the links are ready to be downloaded as soon as they announce it.

What is interesting is that the original iPad is left out of the iOS 6 beta links. The iPhone 3GS, which has a slower processor than the original iPad, will still be able to run iOS 6 beta as well as every other iPhone released after the iPhone 3GS, according to the links. As a bonus, only the iPod touch 4G will be able to run iOS 6 beta – the iPod touch 3G doesn't have any iOS 6 beta links available. The iPad 2 and the new iPad will also be able to run iOS 6 beta, according to the links.

The findings could mean one of two things – either Apple isn’t finished with their linking, or they plan to phase out the original iPad from their iOS operating system sooner than expected. It would honestly make more sense for Apple to stop supporting the iPhone 3GS instead of the original iPad due to hardware capabilities.

The finding that the original iPad is not supported is currently still just a rumor, however all truths shall soon be entirely revealed. iOS 6 is expected to bring a whole bunch of great new features to iOS, including a new maps system, a ‘do not disturb’ feature, Facebook integration, and bring Siri to the new iPad. More features will likely be added, but not enough has been uncovered about the operating system to know for sure.

If Apple does choose not to support the original iPad, we can be sure of one thing: many Apple customers won't be happy.

Sources: MacRumors

Can't wait a week and find out if the iPad is really counted out? Just saying.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone KernelPad's Avatar
    Thanks

oh that's sad for iPad 1 users and soon for 3GS users, apple is forcing people to buy new products which isn't fair but I guess a part of business. Luckily I have an iPad 2 , soon that will be incompatible.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It actually makes a certain amount of sense. The 3GS is still in production and "sold" as a free or very cheap phone with a contract. the original iPad hasn't been in production for quite some time, and can only be bought secondhand or refurbished.

Quote Originally Posted by KernelPad View Post
    oh that's sad for iPad 1 users and soon for 3GS users, apple is forcing people to buy new products which isn't fair but I guess a part of business. Luckily I have an iPad 2 , soon that will be incompatible.
    The 3GS still can run it. There not forcing anyone. It's basically out with the old in with the new. If it were me I'd phase out the 3GS. But that's why I'm not Tim cook. The iPhone 4 is $99 so it's not like people are spending an arm and a leg

Thanks

Not only to make them buy new products.

Some devices aren't supported because they won't run the new iOS as smoothly as the newer devices.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To be honest, iOS 6 will have alot of new features. New features = more power required to power them. = Slower iPad. The iPad 1 @ iOS 5.1.1 runs like crap! I have 2 of them, one is jailbroken one is not. Both have over 30GB of free storage and no apps running in the App Switcher. And both run horribly slow. So for iOS 6 to be left out is not surprising. Its like how the iPhone 3G @ iOS 4.0, it was allowed by apple to upgrade to iOS 4, but features like multitasking, folders, wallpaper where purposely disabled. And after a while there where way to enable those features. Doing so resulted in piss poor performance. So in a nutshell, i believe discontinuing the iPad from iOS 6 is a good decision on Apples part for those people that still have it, who will upgrade to iOS 6 and then start bombarding Apple with performance compaints. My .02 cents!

Actually it is fair. Apple as much as I love and hate them, they do one thing right by not having older and slower products upgrade to new software. The iPad 1 should be included but not the 3GS.
    I remember my iPhone 3G not being able to upgrade for multitasking and I saw why after getting it from Cydia. My phone ran way to slow.
    They should also bring Siri to iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Mainly because I have those and I want them lol.

I think it's completely fair. It's simply the nature of technology. Would you prefer Apple slow their developments to make those with older devices happy? The thing is improved technology facilitates the development of new technology. Think back to the 80s...you had to wait 10 years for the next great development. In the 90s they came out about every 5 years. Now it seems something new and improved is introduced on a yearly basis.

It's just how technology development works.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

So I guess I need to sell the two iPads I have if they are no longer supported. Sucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Can't wait to try this out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    So I guess I need to sell the two iPads I have if they are no longer supported. Sucks.
    I'd wait for the official Apple list of supported devices if I were you
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Can't wait a week and find out if the iPad is really counted out? Just saying.
    LOL! I know, right! Actually, we're looking at waiting just one more day!

But...the rumor mill has to have something to write. Be patient everyone!

I don't know why all the people think the iPad 1 will be unsupported just because the Link isn't "known" yet... If the 3GS is supported the iPad 1 has to be supported 100%, even if the 3GS wasn't supported I would expect to have 6.0.x on iPad 1 and a drop at 6.1.x or 6.2.x, but why listen to me? I mean I am not very long in the iPhone world.. Just since November 2007 (Launch of the iPhone in my country..)

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    To be honest, iOS 6 will have alot of new features. New features = more power required to power them. = Slower iPad. The iPad 1 @ iOS 5.1.1 runs like crap! I have 2 of them, one is jailbroken one is not. Both have over 30GB of free storage and no apps running in the App Switcher. And both run horribly slow. So for iOS 6 to be left out is not surprising. Its like how the iPhone 3G @ iOS 4.0, it was allowed by apple to upgrade to iOS 4, but features like multitasking, folders, wallpaper where purposely disabled. And after a while there where way to enable those features. Doing so resulted in piss poor performance. So in a nutshell, i believe discontinuing the iPad from iOS 6 is a good decision on Apples part for those people that still have it, who will upgrade to iOS 6 and then start bombarding Apple with performance compaints. My .02 cents!
    But you think the 3GS has a better performance?!
    Last edited by rud0lf77; 06-10-2012 at 03:23 PM.

It would totally make sense for the 3GS to be phased out as far as software goes because those that own one (at this point) are people that want an iPhone but have no idea what it is capable of - i.e., the non-tech savvy. More specifically, older people. Take my mom for instance, she will never fill up the 8 gig's of space on her iPhone 3GS that she got for FREE by updating her contract with ATT. Does she care about new cool features? NO!

But to phase out the iPad 1 is somewhat puzzling. I really don't think Apple would do such a thing. However, the iPad 1's tech' specs are an insult to modern technology. This is why I do not buy into 1st gen technology - For instance, I will be buying my wife an iPad 4 when they are available because the iPad 1-3's are not viable laptop replacements. They are all just toys.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by rud0lf77 View Post
    but why listen to me? I mean I am not very long in the iPhone world.. Just since November 2007 (Launch of the iPhone in my country..)
    If they listened to everyone who got the iPhone when it first came out, they would have to listen to a lot of people. But don't worry, they won't listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post

I will be buying my wife an iPad 4 when they are available because the iPad 1-3's are not viable laptop replacements. They are all just toys.

tim
    I've had my iPad for a while now, but today I finally bought a 'New iPad' off eBay - iPad's are not supposed to be laptop replacements and never will be. but mine I use far more than my laptop, it's certainly not a toy - and I'm not sure what you expect from the next iPad that will make it a laptop replacement and not a 'toy'?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If they listened to everyone who got the iPhone when it first came out, they would have to listen to a lot of people. But don't worry, they won't listen to you.

I've had my iPad for a while now, but today I finally bought a 'New iPad' off eBay - iPad's are not supposed to be laptop replacements and never will be. but mine I use far more than my laptop, it's certainly not a toy - and I'm not sure what you expect from the next iPad that will make it a laptop replacement and not a 'toy'?
    A USB port or two would be the laptop killer! Must admit my laptop is barely used now!

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    A USB port or two would be the laptop killer! Must admit my laptop is barely used now!
    I am fairly certain that will never happen!

And I've jus noticed this is under 'Mac news' - shouldn't it be under iPhone news?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I gotta disagree...
    If u just want to do 'very basic' computer stuff then an iPad will be fine but for those that require downloading, file manipulation, coding, etc., etc. then an iPad is useless!

I have an iPad 2 and rarely ever touch it or use it. I opted for a MB 11" Air since its almost as small as an iPad but does SOOOO much more.

Besides, the iPads are still computer-dependent...

Damn, I was hoping the 3gs would finally be killed off when 6.0 came out. That phone needs to go away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast