Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 to Exclude the Original iPad?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm honestly dreading the switch to Apple's map from Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    I'm honestly dreading the switch to Apple's map from Google Maps
    I'm not it probably works better.

Why you all are so mad 'cause 3GS is supported??? Jelaous? I own one, 32GB, have it since 3.1.2, using every bit of new software improvements, and it isnt that slow, it can still play every game very smoothly...I appreciate very much this Apple decision, can't wait for iOS6 hope for all of you haters it'll support iOS7, why wouldn't there be an upgrade if it can run it huh? Any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I've had my iPad for a while now, but today I finally bought a 'New iPad' off eBay - iPad's are not supposed to be laptop replacements and never will be. but mine I use far more than my laptop, it's certainly not a toy - and I'm not sure what you expect from the next iPad that will make it a laptop replacement and not a 'toy'?
    The iPad 3 is perfect except the CPU does not have enough power to smoothly run the retina screen. The iPad 4 could use a more powerful CPU, HD front facing camera, and 2GB of RAM - not to mention a 128GB HDD. If the iPad 4 gets half of those upgrades then the iPad will have moved from gimmick into fully functional Laptop replacement.

And yes, that is where the iPad is heading -- as a laptop replacement. Obviously its not a replacement for those of us that need mobile powerhouses to crunch movies or do heavy graphic design - but for the masses, the iPad will be more than enough in its 4th iteration and onward. If you haven't noticed, Apple has been exponentially updating the iPad with each year because the 1st gen was grossly underpowered by modern technological specs.

thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I've been in this game long enough to see a gimmick and when something truly useful comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by mojpismonosa View Post
    Why you all are so mad 'cause 3GS is supported??? Jelaous? I own one, 32GB, have it since 3.1.2, using every bit of new software improvements, and it isnt that slow, it can still play every game very smoothly...I appreciate very much this Apple decision, can't wait for iOS6 hope for all of you haters it'll support iOS7, why wouldn't there be an upgrade if it can run it huh? Any problems?
    No one is hating. Use your 3GS and be happy man. The majority opinion is that the 3GS will be dropped before the iPad 1.
    But I disagree with your statement about it playing games - my old 3GS could not smoothly play monster hunter for iOS.
    Last edited by klouud; 06-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.

From what I noticed, only 3 firmware versions can go on one device. 1G iPod Touch and first iPhone only go up to iOS 3. The 2nd Generation devices only go up to iOS 4. If the pattern continues, iOS 5 will be 3rd generation devices and iPad 1s highest OS. But if iOS 6 can run smooth on 3gs, then I'll say go for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

In a way, it's still about user experience, even if features are missing. Older devices operate better on older firmwares than they do on newer ones which demand more of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (06-10-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    In a way, it's still about user experience, even if features are missing. Older devices operate better on older firmwares than they do on newer ones which demand more of them.
    I agree, when i had the 3G and upgraded to to IOS 4? That was a bad mistake! I dont think Apple should have used IOS 4 to be use on the 3G. The phone was very slow and took forever to boot up even with nothing sync to it.

hey, i need a new toaster so ima throw my old toaster away....i agree really....its time to keep up with tech

It makes no sense that they would discontinue support for the iPad 1, but continue support for the iPhone 3GS and 4. The 4 is a fair bit faster than the 3GS, and the iPad 1 is a fair bit faster than the 4, and it has 256MB RAM like the 3GS. Unless there's iPad specific improvements which are too much for the iPad 1?

I think the reason the 3GS gets support rather than the iPad 1 for a reasons already stated, the 3GS is still sold at retail while the iPad 1 hasn't been sold for at least 2 years.

The average consumer that picks up a 3GS for free right now would feel cheated to find their brand new phone is no longer supported. The non tech savy just thinks "I bought this phone last month & it isn't supported?"

The iPhone 4 will be free on contract in a few months & the 3GS will stop being supported in the middle of iOS 6 about 6 months after the release of the new iPhone.

That's my 2 cents at least.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    I think the reason the 3GS gets support rather than the iPad 1 for a reasons already stated, the 3GS is still sold at retail while the iPad 1 hasn't been sold for at least 2 years.

The average consumer that picks up a 3GS for free right now would feel cheated to find their brand new phone is no longer supported. The non tech savy just thinks "I bought this phone last month & it isn't supported?"

The iPhone 4 will be free on contract in a few months & the 3GS will stop being supported in the middle of iOS 6 about 6 months after the release of the new iPhone.

That's my 2 cents at least.
    ya i can see that happening. Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    So I guess I need to sell the two iPads I have if they are no longer supported. Sucks.
    Who cares? It's not like the iPads will magically stop working with the release of iOS6. It'll be no different than what what you have today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

I do not know why this is such a shock or even news worthy to people. Apple follows patterns religiously. 1st release, redesign, general improvements, redesign, general improvements.... iPad, iPhone, and iPod have all followed and for all of them they last 3 Operating systems, after that they are left out. Its not rocket science.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, the iPad has a higher resolution, therefore requiring more powerful hardware, and only has the power of the iPod Touch 4G. The 3GS's screen is half that of the iPod Touch 4G, and the 3GS has only a slightly slower processor. That, is why the iPad is unable to run iOS 6.

Its just my guess but the reason why 3gs is still supported is because its still being produced while the production of the ipad 1 stopped two years ago. This also applies for the ipod touch 4 which is production while the previous models are not thus getting excluded from the update to ios 6..... But then again its just my guess

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I am fairly certain that will never happen!

And I've jus noticed this is under 'Mac news' - shouldn't it be under iPhone news?
    Tablets are dominating the market right now, they are undeniably the way of the future. Laptops are already beginning to dwindle in sales and becoming a thing of the past as sales of tablets are starting to surpass those of laptops. I'm sure within the next ten or so years, laptops will be a thing of the past as tablets continue to develop and progress in terms of capability. I personally find it silly to think that laptops will always remain on the market in a world of rapidly evolving technology.

Nothing is official until its Apple official.
    Few hours left now so why argue about it?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

It makes sense, its been like this with all iOS devices, after two years Apple drops support for it before the 3rd year.
    Eg, iPhone 3GS won't get the update this year and next year iPhone 4 won't get the update. If you haven't noticed, Apple only gives updates to the previous two iOS devices when a new one is released so when iPhone 7th gen is released, only the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will get the iOS updates.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsoarer View Post
    Tablets are dominating the market right now, they are undeniably the way of the future. Laptops are already beginning to dwindle in sales and becoming a thing of the past as sales of tablets are starting to surpass those of laptops. I'm sure within the next ten or so years, laptops will be a thing of the past as tablets continue to develop and progress in terms of capability. I personally find it silly to think that laptops will always remain on the market in a world of rapidly evolving technology.
    My comment was about USB ports appearing on the iPad, I certainly wouldn't like to predict the future in a couple of years, let alone ten!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

He clearly stated IF the iPad 1 is not compatible nor should the 3gs be.. They will both run extremely slow on 6.0.. Have you ever seen a 3GS run on 5.1.1?! You will be able to throw the phone a mile, recover it, and still wait for an app to launch or to switch to a new screen. They simply do not supply enough proper hardware that is capable of running such an OS.

Quote Originally Posted by rud0lf77 View Post
    I don't know why all the people think the iPad 1 will be unsupported just because the Link isn't "known" yet... If the 3GS is supported the iPad 1 has to be supported 100%, even if the 3GS wasn't supported I would expect to have 6.0.x on iPad 1 and a drop at 6.1.x or 6.2.x, but why listen to me? I mean I am not very long in the iPhone world.. Just since November 2007 (Launch of the iPhone in my country..)

But you think the 3GS has a better performance?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast