+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Massive Worker Riot Reported at Foxconn

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Foxconn - Apple's manufacturing partner in the far east - has seen its fair share of troubles in recent months. From alleged worker abuses to environmental issues, Foxconn hasn't necessarily
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Massive Worker Riot Reported at Foxconn

Foxconn - Apple's manufacturing partner in the far east - has seen its fair share of troubles in recent months. From alleged worker abuses to environmental issues, Foxconn hasn't necessarily been a bastion of positive headlines this year.

And a new report is only making Foxconn's public reputation even worse. According to Want China Times, a massive worker riot unfolded earlier this week. What exactly does "massive" mean in this regard? We're told "hundreds" of workers were involved.

All of the workers were described as being disgruntled. In no time at all, local police were called in and rioting workers along with Chinese authorities made up a mob of approximately 1,000 strong outside of the southern Chinese facility in Chengdu.

Multiple arrests were documented, although no injuries have been written about for the time being. The biggest mystery of all, however, remains to be the uncertainly surrounding the events that helped to trigger the employee revolt in the first place.

Source: Want China Times

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh.....China will deal with them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Meh.....China will deal with them
    Is that supposed to be funny? Could it be that they are disgruntled for a reason. Lack of human rights perhaps?
    mod edit/links removed

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

It probably means the iPhone 5 has gone into mass production....Yay....!???
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The anniversary of Tienanmen Square (6/4/89), I doubt it was for human rights protest.
    If it was then it would not be at Foxconn, would carry more weight if it was at some government facility.
    BTW Steve-z17's comment is messed up.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 699 Posts

I think it's about time Appl£ put in some serious cash and make working conditions better for these people

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    I think it's about time Appl£ put in some serious cash and make working conditions better for these people
    +63738262626262782828281625151441463637783838.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It's not Apple's problem, it's Foxconn's. Apple should put in some serious cash and effort to try move the production to the US or some other developed country.

dsg
    Thanks

it is Appl£ problem they have a large contract with foxxcon and so they can have a really big say in how the company treats it staff and giving some extra money to make conditions better will improve the work forces production. the best workers are happy workers

Edit: because Appl£ is associated with foxxcon, it gives Appl£ bad press too
    Last edited by dsg; 06-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple will never come to the US for final assembly, why?
    china can get 30k workers in a week to mass assembly apple products, can we say the same? Nope.
    how about if we could? welll if we could then the workers would wanna get an union, then they would want health insurance, also a pay raise, then the union will dictate that making the workers work 12 hours a day its a no no so they can only work 8 thus in turn assembly will not meat the mark, and in top of it all the prices of apple products will go sky high.

people always whine about how apple is exploited this workers over at china, but look at india as an example, we (as in US corps) went to india for cheaper labor now they are getting or trying to get the same work treatment as us in the US and what happend? prices went up, we moved on to another country, same thing will happend in china sooner or later, when we move on then this people rioting on the st today will be unemployed like there were before and then what?. they be worst then before.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

it is Appl£ problem they have a large contract with foxxcon and so they can have a really big say in how the company treats it staff and giving some extra money to make conditions better will improve the work forces production. the best workers are happy workers

Edit: because Appl£ is associated with foxxcon, it gives Appl£ bad press too
    Apple has given them money but Foxconn CEOs etc keep the money

Banned
    Thanks

The biggest mystery of all, however, remains to be the uncertainly surrounding the events that helped to trigger the employee revolt in the first place.
    Is that supposed to make sense or is it just a case of Chinese-to-English translation gone wrong?

dsg
    Thanks

Apple has given them money but Foxconn CEOs etc keep the money
    then Appl£ needs to enforce some ground rules with foxxcon, e.g. either foxxcon make better working conditions or we(Appl£) take our custom else where

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If foxconn has about 1.2 million workers, Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    then if police + workers = 1,000 that's like if because of 27,000 people getting fired from HP out of 350,000 , 300 workers protested .
    Think about relativity.

Thanks
    then Appl£ needs to enforce some ground rules with foxxcon, e.g. either foxxcon make better working conditions or we(Appl£) take our custom else where
    Here's something I learned about activism: NO ONE GIVES A DAMN! Go be a hippie somewhere else.

Thanks

Displeasing

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    Is that supposed to be funny? Could it be that they are disgruntled for a reason. Lack of human rights perhaps?
    Part of the reason they're disgruntled is because of human rights.......that's a no brainer, everyone knows that! Who else is going to deal with them? Apple? No. The U.S.? No. People in China are....which is why I said China will deal with them. I don't see how that could possibly be funny....

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    The anniversary of Tienanmen Square (6/4/89), I doubt it was for human rights protest.
    If it was then it would not be at Foxconn, would carry more weight if it was at some government facility.
    BTW Steve-z17's comment is messed up.
    How is my comment messed up? Who else is suppose to deal with them?? Don't take my comment so seriously....

*T*
    Thanks

Who even cares? We have human rights, they don't, and I am perfectly content with that. God forbid a few workers get pissed and start to kill themselves. They were sooo valuable to society anyway, right?

dsg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher_Otis View Post
    Here's something I learned about activism: NO ONE GIVES A DAMN! Go be a hippie somewhere else.
    just because I care about other people doesn't make me a hippie, why don't you go and troll somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Who even cares? We have human rights, they don't, and I am perfectly content with that. God forbid a few workers get pissed and start to kill themselves. They were sooo valuable to society anyway, right?
    they're human beings like you, god forbid you ever lose your human rights and find out what they go through
    Last edited by dsg; 06-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

Bring in the cops…the corporate masters need more profits.