Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firefox 13 Released

Default Firefox 13 Released

All of you Firefox users out there can find a new version (version 13) available for download. The browser update brings some improvements as well as a new interface for opening a new tab and a new start page layout. The update is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux computers. The complete list of changes in Firefox 13 is as follows (via Mozilla's Firefox 13 change log):

Quote Originally Posted by Mozilla
    • When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most visited pages
    • The default home page now has quicker access to bookmarks, history, settings, and more
    • SPDY protocol now enabled by default for faster browsing on supported sites
    • Restored background tabs are not loaded by default for faster startup
    • Smooth scrolling is now enabled by default
    • 72 total improvements to Page Inspector, HTML panel, Style Inspector, Scratchpad and Style Editor
    • The column-fill CSS property has been implemented
    • Experimental support for ECMAScript 6 Map and Set objects has been implemented
    • Support for the CSS3 background-position property extended syntax has been added
    • The :invalid pseudo-class can now be applied to the element
    • The CSS turn <angle> unit is now supported
    The first new feature, the redesigned start page, has been rethought to make starting up your browser and using it more efficient and easier than ever. It includes shortcut buttons for your downloads window, bookmarks, history, addons, Firefox sync, Firefox preferences, and even the ability to restore your previous session. All of these features have been a part of Firefox for a while now, but instead of navigating through a menu, these functions are now a part of the default home page and are much more convenient to get to. The default home page still relies on Google as the default search engine. You can see the redesigned start page below:

The other major feature being that when you open a new tab in Firefox 13, you will be presented with an exposé-like interface that shows you your top nine Web sites. You can click on any of these nine previews to navigate to that Web site. The new tab interface loads up very quickly and includes a screenshot preview in each box along with a description. You can also drag them around in any order you would like. You can see the new tab interface below:

Most other new features as simply bug fixes or support for new HTML and CSS elements. The updated Firefox 13 still does not have support for Mac OS X’s native full-screen application mode. Nine times out of ten, the update prompt will come up automatically for all Firefox users letting you know that you have an update ready to be installed. If you want to download the update manually, you can use any of the links for all of the operating systems included below:

Firefox 13 for Mac OS X
    Firefox 13 for Windows
    Firefox 13 for Linux

Note: Mozilla recommends the following hardware requirements for Firefox 13:

• Pentium 4 or newer processor that supports SSE2
    • 512MB of RAM
    • 200MB of hard drive space

Sources: Mozilla

I've had Firefox 13 for awhile now. (Beta Program)

Thanks
    Not fullscreen = nope!

Thanks

Firefox 13? I thought we were still at 11 hehe
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

just more changes to be more like chrome..

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

So why does a web browser need 512MB of RAM?
    -FBIRyuJin

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    So why does a web browser need 512MB of RAM?
    It would probably run with less. It's just recommended to give the browser more wiggle room if it needs it. Web sites are getting more powerful and require a lot more horsepower to view all the animations and additional bells and whistles. Idle as you read a Web site, the browser may take ~220MB.

so is it getting any faster? It's almost on Safari's level, constantly freezing and lagging. I try each update, but I can never switch over from Chrome

I wonder if you could get the exposé style screen on startup, safari-style.

I use safari so for me it doesn't make an difference at all

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Useless unless it comes up to par with chrome. Everytime I give Firefox a try, pages just don't display correctly like they nearly always do in chrome

love mozilla firefox

Have to agree with some others. Chrome is just an awesome browser! It works in full screen, it's fast and it just looks better.

I keep trying to go back to Firefox but find myself always going back to chrome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ttiger View Post
    Not fullscreen = nope!
    Same reason I won't use fire fox on os x
    cydia.myrepospace.com/Real-AngryPIG/

Thanks
    Thanked 10,188 Times in 6,204 Posts

I am a long time Firefox user, and have tried them all. I like it mainly for the customization, add ons and extensions that are available with it. Kinda like jailbreaking and tweaking your phones really.
    It does indeed load up sometimes, but I can deal with that.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-10-2012 at 06:56 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Full screen browsing on an iMac is overkill.