Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DirecTV Chairman Feels Apple TV Won't "Obsolete Our Technology"

Thanks

Default DirecTV Chairman Feels Apple TV Won't "Obsolete Our Technology"

It hasn’t been confirmed whether Apple will be announcing the Apple TV or not but just the thought of such a possibility has some big names in the cable and satellite TV business wondering about their future with Apple as a competitor. While some seem to be ignorant to what has been announced or what features are already available, such as Time Warner’s CEO, others seem to feel confident about their odds. DirecTV chairman Michael White doesn’t think that traditional TV content delivery providers have much to worry about, according to a report from GigaOM.

Speaking at an investor’s conference in New York just last week, White said that he doubts that a new Apple TV operating system would be enough to drive cable and satellite subscribers to purchase another set-top box from Apple. He believes that most people would keep the box they already have instead of making the swap. He is also doubtful that content providers are going to line up to provide movies and shows for an Apple device. At the Strategic Decisions conference, White mentioned that Apple is “going to launch something, maybe in the next two weeks… but I don’t see media companies saying ‘You can stream things in bundle over the Internet.”

Other’s such as Comcast’s Chairman Brian Roberts allegedly almost welcomed Apple to the world of content providers. He mentioned that he realized, regardless of the technology released by Apple, his company will still provide the Internet access the customers will need. If the Apple TV is anything like what Jobs made it out to be, then the cable and satellite companies are going to have some rough competition up ahead. We’ll have to be patient to see what comes about and how everyone reacts in the future.

Source: GigaOM

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Neither did the record companies when the iPod and iTunes launched. They'd BETTER be worrying! LTE is going to murder broadband and DSL and a la carte programming is going to murder cable subscriptions. 10 years from now, cable companies will be mere painful reminders of how crappy things used to be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    Neither did the record companies when the iPod and iTunes launched. They'd BETTER be worrying! LTE is going to murder broadband and DSL and a la carte programming is going to murder cable subscriptions. 10 years from now, cable companies will be mere painful reminders of how crappy things used to be.
    Agreed! When big companies try to react as if they need no reaction, its time to worry about them. Look at RIM for example. We own mobile phone technology no one can beat us. We will keep producing the same phone and utilizing the same technology to stay on top..umm NO! Good luck Time Warner but I think you're in for a rude awakening.

LTE is capped(Sprint is soon to follow once they get enough Iphone users), DSL is capped, Broadband is capped. These CEO's go to lunch together and att pretty much owns directv, they are the company that is slowly but surely like apple is taking over. And they are influential and have enough of the market that everyone will follow what they do. Try and just use streaming, good luck! The rich will always in times of need band together to keep it that way, please read the history of congress, same ****.

How much more can you actually stream

I can stream movies photos music ect already now

It will take time before apple tv takes over the market. But people like apple more and the itv will push people to get smart TVs in general. Smart tv technology isn't being bought because of the price but apple will definitely Encourage buying smart TVs. But something this expensive will take time to take over the market jut I bet apple will take over a lot of the market. However there will always be people with cheaper TVs that can't and won't be apple consumers.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw that guy on Undercover Boss, he had no idea what he was doing or talking about

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Time Warner and other ISP can just block Apple from their service, or charge rediculously high price for the Streaming option to where it would not be cost effective to stream Apple service (like how all the cell phone providers is doing now in 3G and 4G service).
    Until AppleTV can do everything independently and do not depend on anyone else, meaning over the air (OTA) streaming or becoming ISP themselves why would the cable companies be worried?

BTW when that happens let me be the first one to complain about AppleTV causing the ISP provider to start blocking streaming contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    Except for the 2gig limits on LTE. You think they are going to give back unlimited? Wifi at home is the only way to stream all you want on devices. And no, AppleTV will not make anything obsolete.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Except for the 2gig limits on LTE. You think they are going to give back unlimited? Wifi at home is the only way to stream all you want on devices. And no, AppleTV will not make anything obsolete.
    Yep 2gig limit is not going to stream much, even with new compression technology that is maybe 1 day's worth before hitting the limit. Rest of the month sitting on your hands? Broadband at home is the only way to go, but ISP's would start to block streaming or start limiting data. They will blame Apple for taxing their service which is true, but actuality they have ties to cable/satallite provider so they are protecting their interest. AppleTV will not obsolete anything for quite some time, the only way Apple can do it is become internet service provider themselves.

Am I the only one who feels it makes much more sense to produce a box, like Apple already has been, that connects to your TV rather than have all the functionality inside the television itself? IMHO, it make more sense to have something than can plug into any set, instead of being stuck with only one choice of panel. This isn't like an iMac*, which one might replace every 2-4 years or so, but with a TV, I want something that will last a considerable amount of time, in which case it's would seem much more convenient to be able to upgrade to a newer media box (once upgrading to a better firmware is no longer a viable option.)

( * I still prefer to have a separate monitor and computer system. )

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icedming View Post
    LTE is capped(Sprint is soon to follow once they get enough Iphone users), DSL is capped, Broadband is capped. These CEO's go to lunch together and att pretty much owns directv, they are the company that is slowly but surely like apple is taking over. And they are influential and have enough of the market that everyone will follow what they do. Try and just use streaming, good luck! The rich will always in times of need band together to keep it that way, please read the history of congress, same ****.
    Because this logic worked in the music industry?! Umm, I have Time Warner broadband. There is NO cap. I also cancelled cable with them 3 months ago. All I do is stream. I'm completely happy. I'm extremely politically informed. I don't watch news on TV or have even the slightest interest in sports. If you MUST watch Fox News, MSNBC, pro sports or douchers from New Jersey argue over who bones who tonight, then you're right. Streaming only isn't for you. But, those with the most basic amounts of intellect will do just fine with a web connection only.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

AppleTV will not obsolete anything for quite some time, the only way Apple can do it is become internet service provider themselves.
    That's true. The cable companies and the broadband providers are often the same company. If Apple hopes to crush them, how can they play the long game without becoming an ISP themselves? They can end-run around to most of the content producers, but how do they control the pipe? They need to provide "the whole widget" as Steve used to say.

Also, unless the existing AppleTV becomes some sort of transitionary device from owning a regular TV to a full-blown Apple TV set they won't be able to get enough penetration.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

It won't be announced at WWDC. That's too big of an event to cram in there with everything else.