+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rumored to Abandon Google Maps Later This Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Rumored to Abandon Google Maps Later This Year

Apple previously planned to break away from Google Maps and use its own technology for the native Maps app on iOS later this year. According to a new report, the feature could be announced at next week’s Worldwide Developers Conference.

Apple employees, both former and present, revealed to The Wall Street Journal that the Cupertino California company is set to bump Google’s maps service from its mobile operating system. Apple’s plans are set to “release a new mapping app that runs Apple’s own technology.” One of the sources suggested that Apple may show off the new software at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco next week. The company is reportedly looking to convince third-party app developers to implement its technology into their offerings.

The report continued noting that the plan to get rid of Google Maps has been in motion for years. The rapid rise of Android sales is said to have increased the pace of Apple’s plans. Intentions of mapping have been evident since at least 2009, when the company began acquiring mapping technology companies. The iPhone maker bought Placebase that year, Poly9 in 2010, and Swedish 3D-mappign company C3 just last year. The company revealed that last April, it was collecting data for a crowd-sourced “improved traffic service” for iPhone users.

The company has been gradually weaning iOS off Google Maps. In 2010, Apple notified .S. senators that beginning iOS 3.2, it had begun relying on “its own databases” for location-based services and diagnostic purposes. In March, it was discovered that Apple had switched to OpenStreetMaps for the maps in its iPhoto iOS app. Apple’s reported switch comes as location services are quickly attracting a significant percentage of advertising dollars.

According to the WSJ, “Apple is going after the map market to have more control over a key asset in the widening smartphone war,” noting that 90 percent of American iPhone owners use Google Maps. “Apple believes controlling the mapping experience and offering features that Google doesn’t have can help sell more devices and entice developers to build unique apps for iPhone users.”

We’ll have to wait and see if Apple unveils the technology at WWDC as rumored.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

What's the betting that Apple maps only covers the US? Just like 75% of Siri's features.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    What's the betting that Apple maps only covers the US? Just like 75% of Siri's features.
    Don't be stupid! Yeah, let's buy a swedish mapping technology company that only covers the United States. Quit being a European snob! If you did any research or read anything on the topic in the past YEAR instead of hiding under a rock complaining, you would have already seen demos of C3's technology with European and U.S. locations with their on the fly 3D 360 degree mapping! Apple is a U.S company and not their fault most of the best services Siri supports are not yet worldwide. It's a test base, much like the Apple TV and US based video services. Once it is on the iPad, Siri will expand beyond its current locale limitations.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Don't be stupid! Yeah, let's buy a swedish mapping technology company that only covers the United States. Quit being a European snob! If you did any research or read anything on the topic in the past YEAR instead of hiding under a rock complaining, you would have already seen demos of C3's technology with European and U.S. locations with their on the fly 3D 360 degree mapping! Apple is a U.S company and not their fault most of the best services Siri supports are not yet worldwide. It's a test base, much like the Apple TV and US based video services. Once it is on the iPad, Siri will expand beyond its current locale limitations.
    I don't know why but this comment makes me laugh!! It's like reading someone slapping someone else in the face!!

A bit harsh and maybe Mis directed anger but also very informative.

Apple has the "anything you can do we can do better" attitude and I don't doubt that an in house apple mapping software will be great. I use maps quite at bit and my only hope is that it brings turn by turn navigation so I can use Siri with it!!

I could give two s words about 3d and stuff like that. I just want a streamline user experience!

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

And that people is a typical American answer!

Apple is not just a American company anymore. They are trying to reach out to WORLD, not just America. THE WORLD! Get that word in your head!

Yes, Siri is still beta. Yes Tim C stated they have plans for Siri but they advertise it to the consumer market as a finished product when it is not. Yes they have a beta tag on the Siri page but when have they ever sent out emails or just gave information when buying an iPhone that the maps and location services only work in the US and in American English? tell me that.

Anyway. This is not about siri here. This is about maps.

I personally can't see what the problem is with the google maps integration. I think that most people just use it every now and again to find a road and use a separate sat nav app for getting places. It would be cool to have the app load in 3D from the start but my data would be beaten down quite easy that way :L
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If there isn't turn my turn navigation... I will kill someone!

Anyway this rumor has been posted at least once every month-.-

Thanks
    I do hope that Apple will make the "Maps" app a bit more fun.
    Don't get me wrong. The main function, ofc, is to be good at showing maps... but maybe it would be smart to make it a bit more fun to use aswell.
    hmm, no. I seem to be writing rubbish I guess

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

I just hope that the Maps change, and/or expanding Siri are the only big thing(s) about iOS6/Next iPhone. They seem like pretty weak "major enhancements" compared to FaceTime/Siri
    -FBIRyuJin

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

'Merica.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Siri's creator is Norweigan. If you weren't being such a fat American bigot perhaps you would realise that Norway is next to Sweden. So yep your entire pathetic argument is flawed and boring.

You think that maps are guaranteed to be 'worldwide support' just because the creators are Swedish. Idiot. Just like Siri support. That's completely worldwide too and don't forget 4G yep that's worldwide too. Wait... Did the Australian Government say something about that?!

Thanks

I am American and can honestly say that apple is trying to spread it's reach but need to do it faster, and they probably wont announce the maps thing in WWDC it's...... Too soon. Any keep up with all your WWDC and E3 info on jailb3akpod.wordpress.com

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Spelling: mappign.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple removes Google maps they can not remove any of the features of Google maps, such as bus times and walking directions. If their app does not have this then i don't want iOS6

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And if Apple tries to use any of Google's features and call it their own, I hope Google sues the **** out of Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder will this affect my transit route I normally use on my maps app powered by google?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    And if Apple tries to use any of Google's features and call it their own, I hope Google sues the **** out of Apple.
    Fandroid!

Thanks

I really like the current Maps application. Super useful. I use it all the time to find businesses location and contact information. I have GPS in my car, but sometimes I still use Maps over GPS because I like it so much. Hopefully the new app will be just as good, or better. Does anybody else feel the same?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Siri's creator is Norweigan. If you weren't being such a fat American bigot perhaps you would realise that Norway is next to Sweden. So yep your entire pathetic argument is flawed and boring.

You think that maps are guaranteed to be 'worldwide support' just because the creators are Swedish. Idiot. Just like Siri support. That's completely worldwide too and don't forget 4G yep that's worldwide too. Wait... Did the Australian Government say something about that?!

Siri integrates with Yelp! to list businesses and such, IIRC, and Yelp! has yet to come to Australia (or any other country afaik). And we just have different 4G frequencies over here, which is too bad. I'm somewhat hoping the iPhone 5 will support 4G out here.
    Last edited by steelbom; 06-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Good. Get rid of them, Apple. They need you more than you need them.