Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Says iTV's Operating System to be Demonstrated at WWDC

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Report Says iTV's Operating System to be Demonstrated at WWDC

As MMi reported yesterday, the general consensus among industry insiders is that Apple's iTV will arrive in late 2012 or early 2013. But recent sources have suggested that Apple may publicly confirm and tease the forthcoming iTV launch months before the product is actually available for purchase.

On the heels of yesterday's coverage, today there are additional comments from the connected circle of tech insiders who claim that WWDC could make the biggest splash this year with a demonstration of the operating system that will power Apple's HDTV.

On Wednesday, BGR's "trusted source" confessed that Apple will do a big reveal next month in order to give third-party manufacturers the time to gear up for the new product and its myriad functionalities and connections to other iOS-powered devices.

"This new OS is said to be much more feature-complete than the current OS that runs on the Apple TV, and is apparently the one that Apple’s upcoming HDTV will run," the report reads. "Yes, that one."

According to BGR, Apple is "actively trying to court manufacturers to use a new 'control out' API in order for third-party manufacturers to make accessories that are compatible with the new Apple TV OS and the upcoming iTV."

So will the big reveal actually take place at WWDC? If so, we will probably find out during the kick-off keynote on June 11th when Apple chief Tim Cook takes the stage.

Source: BGR

The name iTV is already taken by a regional tv broadcaster in the United Kingdom.

How much you wanna bet it'll look just like an even bigger iPad. Ohhhh...creative....

Quote Originally Posted by mpdunill73 View Post
    The name iTV is already taken by a regional tv broadcaster in the United Kingdom.
    And Cisco owned iPhone too. Even had the iPhone product. But Apple sweet talked them and I bet threw plenty of cash at them.

This will just be another device to suck the money out of your pockets one rental at a time. I hope they have some type of monthly subscription like Hulu. That would make sense. TV is heading towards WEB based programming. I saved 100 dollars a month on my cable bill by just using internet (FIOS 54 dollars a month including tax) a HD antenna, Hulu and Netflix (built into tv). Sure I can't watch everything but it's spring now and I would rather be outside anyway.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would much MUCH prefer a high quality TV set (be that an Apple panel or not) alongside an Apple TV or something like that. I don't want to buy a TV set only to have the operating system on it outdated within 3 years time, thus having to buy a new one or not get to enjoy newer features. But who knows, maybe it will be like a huge iMac, in terms of sepcs, thus enabling us to use the set for 5-10 years without major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    And Cisco owned iPhone too. Even had the iPhone product. But Apple sweet talked them and I bet threw plenty of cash at them.
    It wasn't the same iPhone though. Just the trademark.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I don't want to buy a TV set only to have the operating system on it outdated within 3 years time, thus having to buy a new one or not get to enjoy newer features.
    How would the operating system become outdated? It'd be an Apple television, running an Apple OS. New features? Remote control --> Update. Now if there was a new feature that required a hardware change, that's a different story. But Apple is much less likely to pull that on a device that costs thousands of dollars (and trust me, it will), than on something like the iPhone that only costs a few hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by zauriel View Post
    How would the operating system become outdated? It'd be an Apple television, running an Apple OS. New features? Remote control --> Update. Now if there was a new feature that required a hardware change, that's a different story. But Apple is much less likely to pull that on a device that costs thousands of dollars (and trust me, it will), than on something like the iPhone that only costs a few hundred.
    Have you not heard of apple ppc macs no longer being supported? I mean sure let's spend $1500 on a g4 PowerBook only to find out its out of date and completely unsupported 5 years later... Unless apple is planning to run ivy bridge chips in the iPanel I'm sure we'll see similar disappointments 5-10 years down the road. This is not like an iPhone or an appleTV this is bigger and more costly so I would think they'll run a full featured os or atleast a full os processor chipset and not an a5x or a6 type chip.

Cool !