Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cook Claims the Standards-Essential Patent System is "Broken"

Thanks

Default Cook Claims the Standards-Essential Patent System is "Broken"

During an interview at the All Things D conference, Tim Cook mentioned that the current patent situation is “a pain in the ***.” Despite everything though, Apple’s CEO said he was unwilling to let Apple’s work be copied by others. He compared patent infringement to signing one’s name on a painting that someone else put energy into finishing. Cook’s recommendation to other companies is that they need to build their own stuff so that Apple isn’t “the developer for the rest of the world.”

At one point during the interview, Walt Mossberg pointed out that Apple has been accused of violating others’ patents and is on the receiving end on a slew of lawsuits. Cook pointed out that the differences was that “the vast majority of those are on standards-essential patents.” Adding to an area where today’s patent system is “broken.” Connecting to a 3G network was given as an example of a standards-essential patent that companies shouldn’t be able to get injunctions on. Cook believes that the owner of the patent has the option and the responsibility of getting fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) licensing but not everyone does that.

Apple doesn’t sue others over its own standards-essential patents because it believes doing so is “fundamentally wrong,” according to the current Cupertino California company CEO. It is inevitable for companies to disagree on the specifics of payments but the sum of patent holders’ requests for compensation would push everyone out of business. Cook insists that Apple remains intent on continuing to innovate in spite of the current outlook on things. Apple is actively involved in legal disputes against a large number of competitors, including HTC, Motorola, and Samsung. Although Apple’s CEO would like to settle the disputes, the company is also committed to defending its inventions.

Source: All Things D

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

So... black, glass, rectangular screens aren't... you know what, nevermind.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    LoL... of course apple doesn't want people copying them but barrowing someone elses idea is just fine per apple's past history. Typical arrogant apple attitude.

Thanks

All companies borrow, cheat and steel from one another. Its only a "game changer" when one company beats the other one to the punch and consumers love the outcome. Can't wait to see who gets sued next haha!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    All companies borrow, cheat and steel from one another. Its only a "game changer" when one company beats the other one to the punch and consumers love the outcome. Can't wait to see who gets sued next haha!
    Yea, I guess this is why MMI is nowhere close to as informative, professional or interesting as many other apple/ technology website sources. MMI seems like it has turned into a bottom feeder; a well written article is publicized on another website and all MMI does is read it and give us an outline of it here. Please guys, you used to be so much more informative and worth reading. The tweak reviews are even getting to become bland. I am beginning to question the reason why I even open this app anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bil1505 View Post
    Yea, I guess this is why MMI is nowhere close to as informative, professional or interesting as many other apple/ technology website sources. MMI seems like it has turned into a bottom feeder; a well written article is publicized on another website and all MMI does is read it and give us an outline of it here. Please guys, you used to be so much more informative and worth reading. The tweak reviews are even getting to become bland. I am beginning to question the reason why I even open this app anymore.
    I've been asking myself the same question for over 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    Yeah, Apple needs to get a grip on what is and isn't a standards-essential patent before making this kind of statement.

Thanks

Apple does what most companies fail at... making tech very aesthetically pleasing. Not being able to control people from taking their design is about as bad as someone stealing a piece of code from someone else. I know people don't get that concept because they all think of electronics as tech first and design 2nd or just not even considered but it can't be the way we look at Apple when it comes to patents...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh please, Apple will not be pleased until they are the sole owner of the key to patent's office.
    Apple is one of the worse offender of this patent war, something has to be done and it will not to Apple's liking.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree that the system is broken, no doubt about that. But Apple is using the "broken parts" of said system to their advantage, no doubt about that either.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I agree that the system is broken, no doubt about that. But Apple is using the "broken parts" of said system to their advantage, no doubt about that either.
    Yes they are but if there are loop holes, they are going to get abused even if the company thinks its wrong to do so. Take Warren Buffet for example, he believes that the rich should pay the same amount of taxes as everyone else should, but even though he says that, do you think he is actually going to give the gov more money? No, if it's legal, then you use whatever you can use to your advantage.