Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TSA Looking to Buy $3 Million in Apple Products

Default TSA Looking to Buy $3 Million in Apple Products

The TSA wants to spend nearly $3 million on 1,000 Apple computers and 1,000 handheld devices to support its counter terrorism efforts (combat boredom) according recently uncovered documents.

The TSA recently filed contract documents explaining why it would pursue Apple only contracts instead of opening the bid up to multiple manufacturers. According to the filing the devices would enhance a “widening secure mobile computing pilot” program that specifically calls for the user of iOS.

The document is littered with descriptions of how devices like iPads, iPhones, and even AppleTVs would be used in training presentations, forensic investigations, iPhone application development, video and graphics production and finally security testing. I didn’t realize the TSA had such a necessity for video and graphics productions. Perhaps they want to cut together all the x-ray security screenings into some montage of privacy invasion for internal meetings.

The document, pictured below, does in fact hint at future initiatives that could utilize Google’s Android platform. For now though, the TSA is looking to become one giant annoying Apple family.

Sources: CNET

3 million is pocket change for Apple.

Ive worked for TSA for almost 8 years. I'm not sure what to make of your last statement. But just like any agency we do utilize technology for briefings, conferencing, training and such... And I can't speak for all airports or their administrations offices of course, but the computers that we are using at my location are grossly outdated. In fact if I'm not mistaken I feel as though the computers we are currently using have been here as long as I have... So this would be refreshing.
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-25-2012 at 01:06 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

TSA is a joke and a waste of Government funding/American Tax dollars.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 05-25-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    To each their own. But even if you don't like us, we will be doing what we can to keep you safe.

As someone who worked as a passenger screener pre-9/11. I can def. say that despite the haters, the TSA is a definite improvement over what we USED to have in airports.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    To each their own. But even if you don't like us, we will be doing what we can to keep you safe.
    Hopefully not for long. TSA is just like any other gubbermint venture.

"Sorry sir, can't take that water bottle on the plane. It could be a bomb. It's ok. Just throw it in this trash can...and feel free to buy a new bottle for $5 at the gate."

Is THAT the "safe" you were referring to? Or is when you frisk toddlers that we become "safe?" Every TSA employee I've ever seen would be less of a drain on our society if they were back at their old jobs getting Whopper orders wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by glyphic View Post
    As someone who worked as a passenger screener pre-9/11. I can def. say that despite the haters, the TSA is a definite improvement over what we USED to have in airports.
    At what cost to the TAXPAYER? Airport security should be privatized. There is NOTHING government can do that the private sector cannot do cheaper and more effectively. We can use private security forces to say, circumvent rules of war and kill people, but not to check purses and man metal detectors? Remember please that the finer things in life...iPhones, Cadillacs, LASIK...are all products of private sector adventures.
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 05-25-2012 at 06:42 AM.

In reading the J&A it states that TSA is going to potentially use the products for the "Risk Based Counter-Terrorism Mission" so that doesn't mean that screens will be holding iPads/iPhones in their hands at the terminals but the devices could be used by inspectors when assess the airports security stance (assessing RISK). Wouldn't it be beneficial to the public to ensure the airport had the proper counter terrorism elements in place AND the maintenance of equipment was up-to-date and ensure in working order... meanwhile being able to track screen posters and certification status in real time...I wouldn't take this procurement as a "all screeners will be playing angry birds at their post"...

J&A URL - https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=ea...8e84ce76716e6b

I thank TSA for their efforts and 100% support the necessary evil and criticism they must endure.

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    And how many terrorists have seized a plane trying to depart the US since their institution?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    "Sorry sir, can't take that water bottle on the plane. It could be a bomb. It's ok. Just throw it in this trash can...and feel free to buy a new bottle for $5 at the gate."

Is THAT the "safe" you were referring to? Or is when you frisk toddlers that we become "safe?" Every TSA employee I've ever seen would be less of a drain on our society if they were back at their old jobs getting Whopper orders wrong.

At what cost to the TAXPAYER? Airport security should be privatized. There is NOTHING government can do that the private sector cannot do cheaper and more effectively. We can use private security forces to say, circumvent rules of war and kill people, but not to check purses and man metal detectors? Remember please that the finer things in life...iPhones, Cadillacs, LASIK...are all products of private sector adventures.
    Your comments just go to show you know nothing about security. You are the typical self entitled American who feels the rules don't apply to him/her/it. You sound like the typical reporter who doesn't understand anything either, and unfortunately is given a large platform to broadcast their poorly formed opinions to their viewers, further continuing misunderstandings and stereotypes.

Explosives come in liquid form.

Toddlers are patted down when they alarm, just like their bigger and not so cute adult counterparts. Cry me a river. I don't care if you want to complain about a monkey on a unicycle. If it alarms, it's checked.

You do realize that privatized security is required to follow the same TSA procedures? In fact, those people may undergo less of a rigorous background check and training because they are private companies, possibly paying even less than the 18,000 a year the typical part time TSA employee earns.

I love your comment on how private sector can help in a war when they are infamous for inflating all costs and billing the government for whatever they want to get rich. You clearly have not done any reading on this subject either.

Care to enlighten us on any other topics you have no understanding of in this cell phone forum?

Where do you work? Let's go inspect that place. I bet we find just as many people abusing their limited authority, wasting employer resources by playing with their cell phone all day, staff not at their post on time because they are always late, and people who are poorly trained at their job if even qualified at all.

If you don't like the "security theater" at your local airport then I suggest you drive, walk, ride a bike, take a bus or the train or hitch hike. Just stop whining about it.

And no, I don't work for TSA. I'm an occasional traveler who is tried of waiting longer in line to clear the checkpoint because of all the dopes in front of him who can't be bothered to read any of the signs that say take off your shoes (yes flips flops are shoes), remove your laptops/other electronic junk, and take off your watches, jackets whatever and instead choose to argue with security. I especially love reading posts like yours from those same whiners.
    Last edited by exNavy; 05-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Hmm...

To all the trolls on here complaining about TSA workers... You suck! They are there for the sole purpose of protecting us on the frontline of airport security! It's so funny how I hear people complain about them, that is until a terrorist's plan is thwarted... Then complaints turn to congrats! Yes i know sometimes the process is tedious(& perhaps annoying at times), but I'd rather do whatever it takes on my behalf and everyone else's to make sure that my flight safely reaches its destination without any dangerous people trying to kill me on a plane!

I would like to open by saying I appreciate all the good comments and response from people in regards to the TSA in this thread thus far. While the news media is constantly spitting on us as if we are bad people, I actually get a lot of compliments in person while at the airport from people thanking us for the job we do. So once again thank you.

That said, I enjoy the perks of being a government employee no doubt, but I think it's funny how 'some' people think the private security companies are better and will do away with some of non popular security regulations. First of all understand that TSA does not make the rules, we only enforce them. A privatized airport will still have to abide by these so what does that mean for you? That means you will still have to throw away your $5.00 bottle of water. (btw even though it seems trivial, there is a damn good reason for the liquid ban.. Also the ban has been in effect for years so why are you still bringing your water?)
    This also means the private companies have to utilize proven technology to thwart threats, and will be purchasing from the same manufacturers most likely so you will still have you bag and body scanned. No change there.
    Basically what I'm saying is that your sir, live under the illusion that the private companies are able to circumvent FAA rules and guidelines. They cannot. The only thing that will change is the uniform.

And while your making comments about the TSA being burger flippers, you also should know that a large portion of the current workforce of the TSA are actually ex-employees of the private companies that ran the airports prior to 9/11. And the same will be true if it goes private again... As the private companies would have to offer the current TSA employees those positions first, prior to allowing outside applicants. So let's recap... If the airport security was privatized the regulations would be the same, the rules would not change, the employees would remain the same... Even the pay would be the same as they wouldn't be allowed to pay us less. About the only thing that would change is the uniform.
    What would also change is the fact that the airport would have to pay for security as opposed to the taxpayers, which most airports do not wish to do. Anyhow, next time you go on a privatized airport security rant remember that nothing will really change... But that's a good thing.
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-25-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Hahaha, a fitting place for an Apple product.

I totally agree with the last sentence... and that's about it.
    There are many things that government can do cheaper and more effectively -- not everything, but many things. It's all a matter of oversight and people actually following the rules. Any waste you are talking about is as a result of corruption. Government doesn't run on a profit motive and is answerable to the people. We don't have the space here (and this is grossly off topic) but I'd be happy to discuss this further in a neutral forum.

Is THAT the "safe" you were referring to? Or is when you frisk toddlers that we become "safe?"
    Do your research on how terrorist operate around the globe. You'll find that they continually use children, elderly and recently widowed women to carry out their terror plots. They use them because we don't expect them to. Children seem innocent. They are. They don't know that the bag they were told to carry through the airport is full of explosives. They don't know gun parts were stitched into their stuffed animals. These things happen.
    The elderly are sometimes talked into these things as they are close to death at times with terminal diseases. They are told their families will be taken care of... And widowed women are easily talked into these things to avenge their husbands deaths as usually their husbands were part of terror groups or had relations to some. These are things that happen across the globe. Not necessarily here. But can it happen here? Yes. Should we have rules so as to be proactive about it? Or should we wait till it happens here to bring these rules to light?

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

The TSA is a joke. Nothing more than jobs for perverts that like molesting people. They keep us safe? BS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. How did I know this would morph from the subject at hand into a direct attack on the TSA!?!

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    The TSA is a joke. Nothing more than jobs for perverts that like molesting people. They keep us safe? BS.
    You have a skewed view of people if you think TSA enjoys patting people down in that capacity. Now if guys did the pat-downs on women and women did the pat downs on men then you would have a leg to stand on. But be as it is same gender screening you must be assuming that all of TSAs employees are homosexual people as well as being pedophilies. Which is beyond rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    And if your referring to the body imaging machines, know that no matter how good you think you or your spouce looks...you, in no way shape or form look remotely attractive from the image we get. The machine dulls out physical features and is made to emphasize possible threats in the pockets or concealed under the clothing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Do your research on how terrorist operate around the globe. You'll find that they continually use children, elderly and recently widowed women to carry out their terror plots. They use them because we don't expect them to. Children seem innocent. They are. They don't know that the bag they were told to carry through the airport is full of explosives. They don't know gun parts were stitched into their stuffed animals. These things happen.
    The elderly are sometimes talked into these things as they are close to death at times with terminal diseases. They are told their families will be taken care of... And widowed women are easily talked into these things to avenge their husbands deaths as usually their husbands were part of terror groups or had relations to some. These are things that happen across the globe. Not necessarily here. But can it happen here? Yes. Should we have rules so as to be proactive about it? Or should we wait till it happens here to bring these rules to light?
    That's funny. None of these incidences of guns in teddy bears or coerced grandmas have been heard by the public...until, you?! No. Sorry.

They're theory. Nothing more.

Now, to think the TSA does a good job, one would have to legitimately believe that terrorism is the huge threat it is, and is not a insanely propagandized issue. I'm one of few rational humans in this country that understand this is not sustainable. Terrorism has killed 3,000 people in America in 11 years. House fires have killed about 30,000. Street gangs have killed about 10,000. Yet we don't spend a trillion dollars trying to stop them. We do however, spend over 1.3T per year on defense and security. To put that in perspective, the federal tax revenue is about 3.1T, and the GDP is around 14.5T. That is not a reasonable amount of money to spend. I'm sure you do like you cozy gubbermint job where you basically can't get fired and get paid 40% more than the private equivalent. I know. But I don't like it. And a few others are coming around to libertarian views which would see your agency and virtually every other one like it shut down.

That's funny. None of these incidences of guns in teddy bears or coerced grandmas have been heard by the public...until, you?! No. Sorry.

They're theory. Nothing more.
    Theory huh? Read the following...
    "Mickey, is that a pistol or are you... oh! It is a pistol. (TSA)
    Usually, the TSA is the Mickey Mouse operation, but this time they actually did catch a gun on its way aboard a plane. The gun appears to have been a .40 caliber EAA Witness, a mid-priced defense gun made by Tanfoglio in Italy and imported.

The gun was partly stuffed inside a stuffed Mickey Mouse. Specifically, the barrel and slide were inside Mickey, the receiver in a teddy bear, and the magazine and rounds inside a third, unspecified stuffed critter."
    Source: http://weaponsman.com/?p=2695

This is one of many instances. I am not your run of the mill screener. I get briefings on happenings that the public does not hear. And it happens more often than you know. I'm truely unsure if we aren't allowed to share this or if the media just doesn't like to give us kudos but we find and thwart a lot of things.

Here is one example of terrorist using children...
    "An eight-year-old girl was given a bag of explosives by Taliban militants and told to take them to a police station in southern Afghanistan but was killed when the bag exploded, the government said Sunday. There were no reports of police casualties."

Source: http://iphone.france24.com/en/20110626-afghanistan-young-eight-girl-used-in-taliban-bomb-attack-police

Terrorist using elderly in wheelchair...
    "BAGHDAD — A suicide bomber in a wheelchair blew himself up at the entrance to a police station north of the city yesterday, killing three people and wounding 18, officials said."
    Source: http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-27/news/29709631_1_suicide-bomber-explosive-laden-belts-police-station

These things happen often. Don't be ignorant.
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast