+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LEAP Motion Available for Presale - Control Your Computer Differently

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The LEAP Motion is a new way to control computers using three-dimensional hand gestures. The device is capable of working with Windows PCs as well as Apple’s Mac computers and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default LEAP Motion Available for Presale - Control Your Computer Differently

The LEAP Motion is a new way to control computers using three-dimensional hand gestures. The device is capable of working with Windows PCs as well as Apple’s Mac computers and works with a variety of different kinds of applications including productivity software, everyday-use software, and games. Not to mention, the small little LEAP Motion device is completely wireless, miniature, and is barely noticeable. If you have a Mac, the design of the device would even blend right in with the appearance of the aluminum and black finish because of the design and color scheme.

The device is about the size of an iPhone, however it is a little narrower. Using sensors, the device can detect what your hand is doing and provide responses for the computer in real time without any noticeable lagging. The accuracy is so impressive, that the video demonstrates accurate gestures staying within a one-centimeter box. With the technology that comes out of the box, the device is capable of replacing both a keyboard and a mouse – however some will probably prefer using the keyboard for certain actions.

Citing LEAP's Web site, the LEAP Motion was intended for a large audience including gamers, artists, engineers, surgeons, and average users. Gamers will get more realistic gesture controls for their games, artists will get more accurate drawing results, engineers can interact with their software more intuitively, and surgeons can control medical data in the operating room without taking off their equipment to use a computer. General users will have fun controlling their computers in a fun and intuitive way that could never be done with a mouse, keyboard, or touch screen.

The product seems amazing and simple from a first glance, however it’s not quite out yet. The product was announced only this week and preorders have begun on LEAP’s website. The LEAP Motion retails at just $69.99 plus $5.99 shipping and handling. For a price like this, I’m sure a ton of computer users will not be able to resist trying out this new technology with their own personal computers.

Sound like a bargain? I want to try one of these as soon as possible.

Sources: LEAP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Planning on ordering this as soon as I get some money.

Can't wait for this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This looks very interesting indeed. I'd be interested in trying this out. Looks completely seamless, and a very reasonable price point too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Yea I was shocked at the price too. 70$ is a great price point for this for all users. Not to expensive for what it does at all.

It is the same price as the magic trackpad from Apple. (Which is what I currently use)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

I want this! I don't know what I'll use it for yet, hopefully head tracking if 3rd party tool makers have a go at it

Green Apple
    Thanks

I do want one but...
    We are estimating that these units will ship in December (2012) or January (2013).*

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but does the LEAP work on a Macbook Pro?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but does the LEAP work on a Macbook Pro?
    Yes. All Macs and all compatible PCs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that is a nice piece of technology for such a good price! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these but I think that the price will go up after release as demand seems overwhelming.

Thanks

You should note that the device isn't wireless. It requires USB to function.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Did I just see angry birds with chopsticks? GENIUS! (:
    If not then I reckon it'll work (:
    If I helped don't fear to press the Thanks button (:
    Follow me on twitter! @ViperzDTL

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Ordered wish it was closer to release then Dec or Jan 13!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ordered one as well; this looks awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Link does not work from modmyi app :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
    I ordered one as well; this looks awesome.
    Did you get the confirmation email yet. I ordered it a day ago and haven't received any email.

Thanks

Looks neat. Now all I need is the floating 2D/3D floating, glassless, display to go with it and then I'll be all 'Minority Reported' up.

Thanks

wow! l like that a lot..i will get one!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This looks good at first look but has anyone else heard of "Gorilla Arm"? It's like carpal tunnel except it happens from holding your arm up for extended periods of time. How long can you keep your arm suspended in air and moving for? The idea is cool but I see users arms getting tired after prolonged use of this

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bagek View Post
    This looks good at first look but has anyone else heard of "Gorilla Arm"? It's like carpal tunnel except it happens from holding your arm up for extended periods of time. How long can you keep your arm suspended in air and moving for? The idea is cool but I see users arms getting tired after prolonged use of this
    lol thats why there is a such thing as endurance.. If you have never jogged before you will get tired really quick.. the more you do it the longer you can do it for

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vorea92 View Post
    Did you get the confirmation email yet. I ordered it a day ago and haven't received any email.
    Actually no, I haven't