Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Whacked with Lawsuit Over iCloud Service, MobileMe

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Whacked with Lawsuit Over iCloud Service, MobileMe

Here's something we haven't reported in at least ten minutes: Apple is involved in a new lawsuit.

This time, however, no patent infringement claims are being made. And no fellow tech or mobile giants are named in the suit. In this case, Apple is being sued by Danyelle Comer, who filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

Comer is going after Apple because of massive inconveniences and setbacks born of the tech giant's iCloud service going down when its services are most needed. In addition, the suit blasts Apple for failing to usher in a smooth transition between the paid MobileMe service and what we now know as iCloud.

"Throughout the migration, Apple failed to adequately ensure that features MobileMe users were paying for would be accessible, including access to their e-mail accounts for which customers pay additional fees," Comer says in the complaint. "As a result, numerous MobileMe users suffered damage from the inability to access their individual accounts."

"Unfortunately for many users it doesn't 'just work' and has resulted in a series of headaches due to lack of syncing ability, lack of email functionality and other complications and losses and corruption of data," the document reads. "In fact a number of users have been forced to hire outside technical assistance at significant cost, just to migrate to the iCloud platform or get around it to obtain minimal functionality of emails and other systems."

The damages being sought were unspecified.

Source: Apple Insider

Not Apples problem, nowhere in the MobileMe ToS does it say that you will be able to access the service at all times.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Did I miss the part where apple held everyone at gunpoint and demanded we use iCloud?

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Not Apples problem, nowhere in the MobileMe ToS does it say that you will be able to access the service at all times.
    sounds like a someone is trying to make a fast buck people now days are just too Damn sue happy .

Apple has posted for about a year now for mobile me users to transfer to icloud. A YEAR people want money as usual

I think the questions are:
    Was there negligence on Apple's part or did it do everything reasonable to prevent the issues?
    If so, was it to a level that it was criminal?

Honestly, from everything that I saw, Apple gave plenty of advanced notice and is still continuing to offer the MobileMe email service for a while longer to allow for the transition. Now, could Apple have handled it better? Absolutely, but was it to a level that a law suit should be filed? I don't think so.

Also, I wouldn't get my email from my computer manufacturer, talk about putting all of your eggs in one basket. I also always setup a redundant email system, all of my emails get forwarded to another "dummy" account that is set to have a reply to address of my main account, as a result, I may lose my sent messages, but nothing more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Boo freakin hoo Danyelle! If a year wasn't enough time to figure it out you shouldn't be using any computers in the first place. Just another fast cash seeker.
    Sue you, sue me, sue everybody!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Another lame *** law suit trying to make quick buck! These people are ridiculous, as soon as they think Apple's done something wrong they pounce on the opportunity to try and sue. Don't they have anything better to do?

This is ridiculous. How about some numbers to back up these claims? I haven't read anywhere that MobileMe users are having any issues with their email, or other data. Also, how could an outside tech recover the data and migrate it for these un-cited people? Wouldn't Apple be the only ones that are able to do such a thing? Shame on these people, I hate it when folks try to sue so they can make a few bucks. I hope they have to pay for Apple's legal fees when they lose this case.

I kind of understand why they would want to sue - but Apple gave ample warning that Mobileme would be undergoing significant changes. They warned people so exactly this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Poor baby. Guess when things don't go exactly the way you want you just sue.

Who is the stupid one? The person with a bogus complaint or the lawyer taking the case?

He maybe going for a quick buck, but iCloud doesn't "just work" for me either. My account has been in "trouble shooting mode" with apple for weeks trying to fix some issue that is corrupting my pictures, videos and other data stored on iCloud. IDK if suing them is the answer but they aren't providing the service they clam to and that I've paid for.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wdpower View Post
    Who is the stupid one? The person with a bogus complaint or the lawyer taking the case?
    Well only one of them is going to get paid for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I kind of understand why they would want to sue - but Apple gave ample warning that Mobileme would be undergoing significant changes. They warned people so exactly this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
    Yup this is the fault of the user inmost contexts.

Thanks

You know the economy's bad when major corporations start suing each other over stupid issues...