Results 1 to 7 of 7

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple CEO Met with Speaker of the House John Boehner

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,225
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts

    Default Apple CEO Met with Speaker of the House John Boehner


    Apple CEO, Tim Cook, was spotted meeting with Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner on Tuesday for reasons that haven’t yet been reported. A picture from the official Speaker of the House “Speaker Blog” showed Cook wearing formal attire, sitting mid-conversation with Speaker Boehner at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. The picture came with no details and there was no information on the conversation the two were having either.

    Speaker Boehner is an outspoken opponent of a House measure aimed at China that would call for the U.S. to take action if it was suspected that a country was manipulating the value of its currency. Earlier in the day, Boehner said the GOP-lead House would lay the groundwork for possible tax reform ahead of an expected debt ceiling hike from President Obama and congressional Democrats according to The Christian Science Monitor. The House is expected to vote before the upcoming election to “give Congress time to work on broad-based tax reform that lowers rates for individuals and businesses while closing deductions, credits, and special carveouts.”

    It isn’t sure exactly where Apple plays a role in the topic, except that Apple’s tax practices were recently criticized following a New York Times expose, claiming that the company uses loopholes to save billions of dollars each year by “sidestepping’ U.S. tax laws. We’ll have to see if any information is revealed regarding the conversation the two had.

    Source: John Boehner (blog)

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fresno, Calli
    Posts
    1,990
    Thanks
    2,627
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 740 Posts

    All of the fortune 500 company's use these loop holes. Congress made these legal loop holes letting these company funnel money thru different countries so they don't have to pay fed taxes. Costing the US losing almost 100 billion in lost taxes.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post



    Speaker Boehner is an outspoken opponent of a House measure aimed at China that would call for the U.S. to take action if it was suspected that a country was manipulating the value of its currency.
    Welp, I guess ol' Boner had better call the Marines and tell 'em to get to DC! We invented currency value manipulation.

  4. #4
    Of course Congress did, all these fat-cats are in it together. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.

  5. #5
    Well, looking at what Boehner did earlier in the day is no real indication of what this meeting was about.

    I do know that Apple and Republicans are ultimately on the same side, though: they both want businesses to succeed.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Well, looking at what Boehner did earlier in the day is no real indication of what this meeting was about.

    I do know that Apple and Republicans are ultimately on the same side, though: they both want businesses to succeed.
    Ha ha. Can you name a group of significance that _doesn,t_ want businesses to succeed?

    I think it would be closer to the truth to say 'they both want to succeed' there's no altruism in there, they are in it for themselves.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    All of the fortune 500 company's use these loop holes. Congress made these legal loop holes letting these company funnel money thru different countries so they don't have to pay fed taxes. Costing the US losing almost 100 billion in lost taxes.

    Invest in the ones who determine what you ultimately end up paying.

    Smart move for apple. Probably putting money in the piggies bank so when all the other companies rain down on apple, they can whip out their government umbrella.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •