+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time Warner CEO Unfamiliar with AirPlay Feature

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Time Warner Cable CEO, Glenn A. Britt, recently admitted that he is unfamiliar with AirPlay and doesn't think it affects the cable business according to a report by New
    Thanks

Default Time Warner CEO Unfamiliar with AirPlay Feature

The Time Warner Cable CEO, Glenn A. Britt, recently admitted that he is unfamiliar with AirPlay and doesn't think it affects the cable business according to a report by New York Times. Many consumers and analysts find this statement to be one of true ignorance as it is a bit of a shocker.

During a group interview last week, Britt said there was no easy way to get internet video onto a TV, where he obviously overlooked the fact that AirPlay allows consumers to do just that. AirPlay easily sends a media stream from your iOS device to your TV via an Apple TV wirelessly. Furthermore, Apple’s TV offering isn’t the only option here as others such as Boxee Box, Roku, or Google TV all have similar offerings.

Despite claiming to be an Apple user, Britt did say “I’m not sure I know what AirPlay is.” He continued to say “the current Apple TV, the little thing, the hockey puck, really doesn’t do anything to help you enable you to get Internet material on your TV.” It seems a bit surprising that a chief executive of a cable company would not know about the very feature that may hurt his business in the future. The ignorance doesn’t say much about the company or Britt himself and it definitely doesn't bode well for future plans. For those of you who want to continue to use cable and/or enjoy using it, let’s hope his actions are better thought out than his words.

After all the criticism about his statements, it wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that Britt figured out what AirPlay is and is planning on taking action to improve the cable business accordingly.

Source: New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

uhhh whats airplay??? the average consumer doesnt use it so he probaly doesnt care most ppl cant afford gas right now and the only reason they own an iphone is because they get a reduced price for a contract they gonna start selling apple tvs with contracts now? when it gets on his radar he will start to care is this really news worthy?

*T*
    Thanks

He's gonna fun out soon enough

Thanks

HA! I think his statement embodies the ignorance of our culture. How can you NOT know is the question. His statement also embodies the decline of cable as a medium of choice. I can't stand the fact that I have 8,000 channels but only watch 10. Watch out Time Warner Cable..i believe your time is just about up..tic toc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    uhhh whats airplay??? the average consumer doesnt use it so he probaly doesnt care most ppl cant afford gas right now and the only reason they own an iphone is because they get a reduced price for a contract they gonna start selling apple tvs with contracts now? when it gets on his radar he will start to care is this really news worthy?
    As the CEO of the largest cable provider in the country it is his job to be thinking about the direction of the company YEARS in advance. Airplay has been available for at least a year now, which means this CEO is a year behind the curve.

If he waits until the average consumer is using airplay to start addressing the issue then he'll lose the fight and it won't even be close.

If you want to see what happens to a successful company who waits too long to make adjustments to trending technology go look at Blackberry.

Thanks

Why would he wait until Airplay became that much bigger? That would be the stupidest thing ever. No. You solve the problem before it becomes one. Don't wait until it is one. That just makes no sense.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@AUZ Well said. The other poster is completely missing the point. Pointing out that people can't afford gas is even more reason this CEO should be on top of any form of entertainment that's cheaper and could replace his service. People WILL spend money provided they feel they're getting their money's worth. For example, lack of gas didn't stop anyone from seeing Avengers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    As the CEO of the largest cable provider in the country it is his job to be thinking about the direction of the company YEARS in advance. Airplay has been available for at least a year now, which means this CEO is a year behind the curve.

If he waits until the average consumer is using airplay to start addressing the issue then he'll lose the fight and it won't even be close.

If you want to see what happens to a successful company who waits too long to make adjustments to trending technology go look at Blackberry.
    Not sure what country you're in but here in the U.S. Comcast is the largest cable provider, by a wide margin.
    word

Thanks

I use AirPlay all the time when at home! We have sky tv in the main room And I use the mobile device option for the sky go app and use airplay to watch it on the tv! Saves paying sky extra every month when I only watch a handful of things!! Most apps like catchup tv, bbc iplayer and many other use AirPlay! This guy clearly is too "on foot in the grave!!" for his job and will cost many people their jobs when he ruins the company with his old thinking!

Thanks

This is the perfect example of a company/CEO that got too relaxed and doesn't take competition seriously. He's clearly set in his ways and doesn't see cable going anywhere any time soon even though Comcast is clearly making adjustments with their strategy to providing content to consumers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I never use AirPlay but I wish apple added wireless AirPlay mirroring for iPT 4. That would make me use it more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

So I'll need:

1. Apple TV
    2. An Apple device (such as an iPad)

That's hundreds upon hundreds of dollars just to stream (free) video to the TV. This CEO is right - that's NOT an easy way to do it.

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krazyfool88 View Post
    Not sure what country you're in but here in the U.S. Comcast is the largest cable provider, by a wide margin.
    Semantics. doesnt matter if your the largest or third largest. Its the equivalent of the CEO of Toyota saying " I'm not aware of any reliable way of using electricity to power a vehicle"

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    So I'll need:

1. Apple TV

That's hundreds upon hundreds of dollars just to stream (free) video to the TV. This CEO is right - that's NOT an easy way to do it.

How is that not easy? If you already own an iPhone then you pay $100 for an ATV and you're good to go! You'll need two devices regardless to stream internet video from one device to a TV and tons of ppl already own a iPhone these days. So I guess I don't see how that's not easy. I can see how it could be expensive, but with most people needing a phone already...$100 extra for an ATV isn't that bad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think many people who are iDevice users don't know about AirPlay or care. We have many idevices in our house and have never used AirPlay. You guys watch way to much tv. We should talk about mapmyride and mapmyrun et al...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krazyfool88 View Post
    Ha ha...it was a blind guess! I figured someone would correct me if I was wrong.

Thanks

No since an Apple TV by itself is $100 less than a contract iPhone, none would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    So I'll need:

1. Apple TV

If you are just trying to watch itunes shows etc you don't need ANY other apple device at all. The idea you would stream from ipad/iphone TO the TV when the Apple TV has your account info and can directly play the shows is ridiculous.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 05-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Since an Apple TV costs $100 and that's a flat cost vs. $100/month for 12-months for cable...I think the naysayers on Apple TV not being a consumer-friendly or cost-effective solution need to re-evaluate their thinking.

To a consumer, an Apple TV is a way to 'cut the cord' and get things like Netflix, and also stream to their TV's from their iPhones or iPods that tens of millions of people already have. I'm not saying Apple TV is good enough to cut cable, but a consumer could be persuaded to do so thanks to Apple marketing.

Regarding the CEO, it's very short sighted that he isn't even thinking about Apple's biggest play, currently, with content on a Television. With Mac OS X Mountain Lion, getting "internet on your TV" is going to be even easier because of AirPlay being integrated in to the OS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm one of those people who can happily say! I Cancelled my Cable!!!!! and get better internet! Best decision ever. W/ netflix and the video websites out there.. w/ ony 5sec ads or 15sec ads, not to mention i can pause it walk away and come back. I paid $45 for internet and $56 for cable.. how does that make any sense.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i don't have cable, and i don't own a tv - haven't had them for years. i'm so deprived.