+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Perian Development Team: It's Time to Retire

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default Perian Development Team: It's Time to Retire

Perian is a free Swiss-Army-Knife utility extension for Apple’s QuickTime application, which allows you to play all kinds of media files with QuickTime that QuickTime normally wouldn’t have the ability to play. Apple was very picky in selecting the compatibility for the kinds of media files QuickTime could play and this was the reason the open-source Perian extension was created. No one likes not being able to watch the video they just got because of file restrictions.

Today the development team stepped up to the plate to announce the discontinued support for the Perian extension for QuickTime. According to the Perian development team, as they were nice enough to alert us of their plans on their Web site, support for Perian after the final update will last only 90 days and then support for the extension will be put to rest – meaning they will no longer be pushing updates or offering customer support if you find glitches in the software.

After one last update, Perian could become public domain as the development team plans to post Perian's code publicly to allow users and developers to freely modify the code for the extension to keep the extension alive for future versions of Mac OS X. The development team cannot promise support for OS X Mountain Lion, however the extension already works with Mac OS X Lion as of late. The team recommends that Mac users start switching to alternatives such as VLC Player or MPlayer OS X to continue the support of non-QuickTime supported file formats on future versions of Mac OS X that Perian will no longer run on.

A Perian user myself, the extension was a wonderful addition to Mac OS X, as it created a seamless integration of all kinds of file formats right into the QuickTime application without the need to open other kinds of media-playing applications to play them. The integration of the file formats is so smooth that you might think Apple programmed it. Unfortunately, a large audience will miss Perian. We can only cross our fingers and hope it continues to work in OS X Mountain Lion.

Sources: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Sad news. I love this plugin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I love the plugin but I thought they basically said this last year or year before.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Perian was great, but for the last year or so it's been superseded by MPlayerX for me.

It looks like Quicktime but plays anything and everything. And to top it off it's free.

Mac App Store - MPlayerX

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    Perian was great, but for the last year or so it's been superseded by MPlayerX for me.

It looks like Quicktime but plays anything and everything. And to top it off it's free.

Mac App Store - MPlayerX
    vlc kicks this things *** six ways from sunday

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kddo14 View Post
    vlc kicks this things *** six ways from sunday
    apart from how buggy it is.. so many crashes and hangs it's unbelievable. Plus if you try and report a bug they act like arrogant d*cks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hmmmmm

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm using Perian in ML DP2 right now. Hopefully it still works in the GM.

Thanks

For Windows users, Quicktime is that annoying thing you keep on your computer just so you can have iTunes...Apple d**ks