+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Claims New MBPs to Include Retina Display, Thinner Design and USB 3.0

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Report Claims New MBPs to Include Retina Display, Thinner Design and USB 3.0

*Mockup courtesy of 9to5Mac* New, thinner MacBook Pro(Left) compared to the current model (right).

If 9to5Mac's report on Apple’s upcoming MacBook Pro refresh is correct, the new MBPs might be better than anyone expected.

According to 9to5Mac’s sources Apple’s next generation MacBook Pros are going to be thinner, with Retina Displays and have USB 3.0 in addition to Thunderbolt connectivity. 9to5Mac’s source claims to have handled prototype casings and other components.

The thinner design won’t adopt the tapered aesthetic of the Macbook Air and will achieve the reduced thickness by eliminating the optical drive and the ethernet port. Both the optical drive and ethernet port (especially its height) have been limiting factors in the redesign of the MBP chassis. The MBP could possibly forgo FireWire connectivity as well, but the source seems unsure about FireWire’s fate.

The optical drive and ethernet abandonment have been the subject of rumors since the release of the MBA. If it actually happens it’ll most likely result in an initial backlash followed by subservient purchases by the previously disgruntled. Either way, usb-to-ethernet dongles exist for consumers in need of LAN connectivity, and external optical drives are available for users who rely on optical media.

The USB 3.0 inclusion seems a little curious, but reports last year hinted that Apple was favoring adopting both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt as complementary technologies instead of competing. USB 3.0’s backwards compatibility with USB 2.0 devices doesn’t hurt either, and makes for the argument of why not include 3.0, especially considering falling component prices.

Evidence of Apple’s Macbook and iMac Retina Displays have been showing up subsequent builds of OSX Lion and Mountain Lion. The reports source claims new MBP users will be given a set pf resolution and quality options allowing them to take advantage of the new “HiDPI” screens.

The release window for Apple’s new MBPs is still unknown, but June is historically a MBP friendly month, and with the WWDC four weeks away Apple could use the event to formally announce the product refresh.

Source: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Really looking forward to WWDC. I'm also extremely glad that my Macbook Pro is insured for accidental damage too...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got rid of my optical drive months ago for the data doubler and haven't regretted it yet! If this rumor holds true I hope there will be a way to have two hard drives installed in these bad boys!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    Really looking forward to WWDC. I'm also extremely glad that my Macbook Pro is insured for accidental damage too...
    Well you have just given your insurance company the reason not to pay out! Accidental one thing but purposely damaging it to defraud the company is another thing.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Might as well support the BUS that the vast majority of devices will support. Thunderbolt is just the new Firewire. While it is faster, it doesn't look like it'll garner much more support than Firewire did. USB3 is and will continue be more widely used.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I thought the retina display on the new iPad was a power hog........can't imagine what they'll have to do with the battery to salvage battery life on a MacBook Pro.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I could go for a MacBook Air refresh as well. we need a few upgrades for the 11": better battery life, more than 4GB RAM, and retina display. Other than that.... the thing is a mini beast! I love my 11" MacBook Air mid 2011 model! I don't think I'll be getting an MBP, I'd rather have an iPad which would round out my Apple collection to 2x i4S', 1x MBA, 1x iMac mid 2011 + maxxed out RAM, 1x iPad (I'll be getting the next update to the iPad --> the "new iPad" just isn't worth it)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    Well you have just given your insurance company the reason not to pay out! Accidental one thing but purposely damaging it to defraud the company is another thing.
    Jaysus, get a sense of humour!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The power button in the eject position would annoy the hell outta me, the amount of times I accidentally hit eject when I meant to hit backspace I would constantly be having to cancel the shutdown option box, and the chance for achieving accidental shutdown could be quite high

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Hallelujah! I was praying Tim Cook would see the light and include USB 3.0 on board, something Steve Jobs would have never done. Hopefully USB3 bus is also used for the SD card slot. The current SD card slot is stupid slow as it's 480Mbps, the same as USB2. And FireWire 800 card readers are either non-existant or super expensive. While Cook is at it he should let the FireWire 800 spec become open source so readers can be built for cheap and help all of us older Mac users.

Thanks

Finally! Feels like i've been waiting for years! Getting one as soon as they hit the market

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Well he can't really say no to USB3. It's built right into the Intel Ivy Bridge CPU.The (Desktop) Ivy Bridge CPU has two USB 3.0 controllers built right in. I'm unsure about the laptop versions or the ultra low voltage versions. Good to see intel pushing thunderbolt also.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.