+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Proview Allegedly Declines Apple's Settlement Offer

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Proview - the Chinese company that claims rightful ownership of the iPad moniker - is reportedly unwilling to "play ball" with Apple. According to China's Beijing Times, Apple pitched a
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Proview Allegedly Declines Apple's Settlement Offer

Proview - the Chinese company that claims rightful ownership of the iPad moniker - is reportedly unwilling to "play ball" with Apple.

According to China's Beijing Times, Apple pitched a settlement offer to Proview worth 100 million yuan, which amounts to about $16 million dollars. But Proview apparently declined the proposed settlement.

After a seesaw legal battle that has dragged on for months, Apple remains in no danger of losing the rights to sell the iPad in China (although the new one still isn't on sale there yet). But this reality isn't going to stop Proview from pursuing every legal channel possible to apparently get something more than $16 million out of Apple.

As of this writing, however, there are unconfirmed reports that Apple is actually willing to settle for 400 million yuan (or $63 million). But that claim hasn't been independently verified. What can be confirmed, however, is that Apple and Proview still haven't reach an amicable agreement.

Source: Beijing Times

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Name it "Apple iPad". Problem solved and people will still call it an iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple is sweating because the 2nd offer was made so quickly.
    There must be some hard evidence Apple can't fight to get Apple to make offers...
    Proview should offer rights to use the name iPad to Apple, keep Apple paying instead of a lump sum.
    If Apple is not willing to pay, offer the name to everyone.
    I am sure Samsung would love to license it just to piss off Apple, then make a commercial named "Superior iPad".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    There must be some hard evidence Apple can't fight to get Apple to make offers...
    Proview should offer rights to use the name iPad to Apple, keep Apple paying instead of a lump sum.
    I am sure Samsung would love to license it just to piss off Apple, then make a commercial named "Superior iPad".
    I like this idea

Thanks

Maybe this is why they called the latest iPad "new iPad"?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree

Banned
    Thanks

+1 makes sense. but if I were in charge at Proview, Id ask for a lump sum plus payments.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    +1 makes sense. but if I were in charge at Proview, Id ask for a lump sum plus payments.
    Oh there will be a big payout, they will get a small percentage of every iPad sold from the past and whatever the price is to license the name iPad.
    Apple will try to buy the name iPad so they have full control of it, but Proview should not sell the name but keep it and lease the name to Apple for all future product with the name iPad. And no even if Apple call the future version something else as long as there is a reference to the name iPad, i.e. Super iPad, they will still have to pay the licensing fees.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple should just say screw-it and sell any Apple products in China (not like they need to). The issue at play here is all about blackmail and theft, pure and simple. The reason this happens is that China can't come up with anything as creative or life changing (by that I mean a product that has impacted and influenced so many others) as the iPad, iPhone, etc. So what do they do? They resort to thievery... theft of a Brand Name, Intellectual Property Theft, Cloning, Counterfeiting, etc... They do this because they can't innovate and their government is small-minded and allows this foolishness to continue. Personally I see this as nothing more than a bunch of Asian-Somali-Like pirates, with the exception of them not killing people (yet).

The bottom line is that if you had developed a product that has transformed the way in which the entire world interacts with technology, I don't think you would want them to steal your product name and hold you hostage. Granted Apple should have learned their lesson the first time and registered the name (absolutely agree that they were stupid here), but everyone in the entire world knows that the iPad belongs to Apple. To allow this to continue is to allow them to commit blackmail, pirating and plundering. I am sure the little ho-chi-min commie government is getting some sort of kick-back from Proview which is why they allow this to continue. Its sad to see this happen in this day-and-age, instead of working with people all they do is take, take, take.... Wow Communism, isn't it so cool (NOT).