+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does Apple 'Own' The Silver Laptop Design?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple, as we've consistently reported over the years, is happy to bring litigation when the company feels that competitors are infringing upon the names, likenesses, and general ideas underpinning popular
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Does Apple 'Own' The Silver Laptop Design?

Apple, as we've consistently reported over the years, is happy to bring litigation when the company feels that competitors are infringing upon the names, likenesses, and general ideas underpinning popular Apple products on the market today.

But does Apple own the "silver" look of its laptops and other products? So far, Apple hasn't asserted so, but some are wondering if a lawsuit will come in response to the general design and appearance of HP's new Ultrabook.

"Apple may like to think they own silver, but they don't," Stacy Wolff, vice president of Industrial Design at Hewlett-Packard, tells Engadget. "In no way did HP try to mimic Apple. In life there are a lot of similarities."

"If you want to look at a macro level, there are a lot of similarities to everything in the market that's an Ultrabook today," he adds. "It is not because those guys did it first. It's just that's where the form factor is leading it."

Although Apple hasn't commented on a possible lawsuit (and there's a good chance we won't see any legal action), the tech rumor mill is buzzing about HP's new Ultrabook and just how familiar it may look to Apple fans. Check out the image above to see for yourself.

Source: Engadget

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If they don't they'll probably claim it.

dxe
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    If they don't they'll probably claim it.
    My take on this.......

It may look like someone spent enormous resources and design capital to build but it still runs Windows

Just remember how much we all love(ed) the registry

Green Apple
    Thanks

so f**king what? I'm surprised they haven't tried to patent aluminium yet.

Typing this from my MacBook Pro and talking to someone on my iPhone 4, just so you know I'm just not putting that to fizz up the fanbois, all of the companies now are as bad as each other and all want a kick up the arse.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

They will open a case in court for sure !

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not going to say they stole anything from Apple, but HP certainly didn't innovate very much with these Ultrabooks, and that's what really counts. They can say that the industry is moving in that direction to hide the fact that they see how well MBA's are selling and they want a piece of that. Apple has been in that "direction" for awhile now, and people seem to benefit from doing things that Apple's doing. That's all fine and dandy, but at least do some innovating, HP had a lot of options to choose from, but they chose something that looks a lot like the MBA. I'm not saying they copied them, but they could have done better.

Thanks

Its just another laptop in my opinion. As steve-z17 noted: "HP certainly didn't innovate very much with these Ultrabooks" and that is where they fail. The MacBook Air's are small, thin, slim and lightweight. I tend to like the way they look but I love the way they run. In the end its about the OS and always will be. Hopefully other companies will try to bring some NEW technology rather than rehashing their current pictures in different frames :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Its just another laptop in my opinion. As steve-z17 noted: "HP certainly didn't innovate very much with these Ultrabooks" and that is where they fail. The MacBook Air's are small, thin, slim and lightweight. I tend to like the way they look but I love the way they run. In the end its about the OS and always will be. Hopefully other companies will try to bring some NEW technology rather than rehashing their current pictures in different frames :]
    I don't know if the OS is all I would care about. The OS can run smooth as butter but if it has a black and white screen, I'm not buying it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Woah. I looked at the image before reading, and I thought it was a MacBook pro. After reading, I looked closer. Very VERY similar. Sure you can make it silver, but shaped the same? Bastards.

Thanks

Well it should be cheaper then a MBA so that will be good for the people that can't afford it

Windows to me runs fine so these HP laptops maybe an option for me

There is nothing wrong with option

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Woah. I looked at the image before reading, and I thought it was a MacBook pro. After reading, I looked closer. Very VERY similar. Sure you can make it silver, but shaped the same? Bastards.
    I'm generally leaning this way.

A Chevy Impala, a Ford Focus, a Kia Optima, a Toyota Corolla, and a VW Jetta all are very similarly designed mid-size sedans. Can a normal person reasonably tell them apart from their body styles or interior decor? Sure.

Can a reasonable person tell the difference between, say, a MacBook Pro, a Sony Vaio Z, and an HP Pavilion? Sure. Similar but distinguishable upon a quick glance. Between that new Spectre and an Air? I'm not buying it. It's more than just a wedge and a black keyboard... it's the exact angle of taper, almost the exact size and locations of bevels in the topcase to allow fingers in...

HP is damn lazy in the design department, if not outright infringing on this particular case. Apple isn't the only company that could possibly make an original hardware design today... why not go distinctive?

iPhone? More like MyPhone CabooseLoL's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a way nice computer. I want one

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The silver base, black keys and black screen border is associated with the MacBook!

HP just want to cash in on Apples success by releasing a look a like which somehow still manages to be ugly.

HP are so lazy that they can't even change the colours of the keys! At least Sony had different colours before Apple used the chicklet design. HP just copy it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    The silver base, black keys and black screen border is associated with the MacBook!

HP just want to cash in on Apples success by releasing a look a like which somehow still manages to be ugly.

HP are so lazy that they can't even change the colours of the keys! At least Sony had different colours before Apple used the chicklet design. HP just copy it.
    They copied apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks like my Dell XPS 15z to me. http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...ll-xps-15z.jpg

Thanks
    It sure looks like a Mac.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post

This is why I always say Ubuntu FTW!