Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Office for Mac Users: Forget iCloud; Use SkyDrive

Default Microsoft to Office for Mac Users: Forget iCloud; Use SkyDrive

Just last month, Microsoft launched a SkyDrive client for Mac OS X that behaves similarly to DropBox and offers more free space than DropBox will give you (without working hard to invite people, that is). Now that the software has been implemented for Mac users, it seems Microsoft wants their Microsoft Office for Mac users to join in on the bandwagon. Microsoft states that Apple’s iCloud is, “not enough” for the file sharing needs of users and that Microsoft’s SkyDrive is everything users will ever need for such practices.

This move by Microsoft isn’t surprising since Microsoft Office for Mac is their own product and they want to show users that they are competent with equal or better services in comparison to what Apple has to offer. Microsoft has to compete with Apple to make Microsoft Office for Mac look better than Apple’s iWork and also make SkyDrive look better than Apple’s iCloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    With the SkyDrive for Mac OS X Lion preview, SkyDrive for Windows, and the release of SkyDrive for iPad, you can save and store your important documents or other files in the SkyDrive folder in Finder and access them from anywhere.
    While Microsoft could be right on this one, since iCloud is almost entirely automatic, doing things Apple’s way, and SkyDrive is similar to DropBox giving the user as much manual control over their cloud storage as possible, it’s ultimately up the user whether they want to manage such files all on their own or let the software do it for them. Less computer-savvy people trying to get productivity done could be overwhelmed by all the user control of Microsoft's SkyDrive client for Mac.

Apart from the user control, Microsoft also includes a fully functional anywhere-access system with SkyDrive. Microsoft has an application for iOS, which gives the user the ability to access and manage their files even on the go.

With the expected news that Microsoft would be pushing their SkyDrive service for Microsoft Office for Mac users, it’s highly unlikely that we will ever see iCloud support for Microsoft Office for Mac. Until Microsoft releases some kind of mobile iOS version of their office software, Apple will probably still remain ahead of Microsoft in this playing field as Apple is offering more mobile access to productivity by having mobile versions of their iWork software.

Sources: MacWorld

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Using SkyDrive instead of iCloud is like using scissors instead of a chainsaw.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GXGOW View Post
    Depends on what you're doing. I don't fancy cutting paper with a chainsaw or a tree with a scissors.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GXGOW View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. iCloud is compatible with a single platform (Apple's ecosystem - OSX and iOS). Certainly you can install some software to get it to work, sort of, on other OS's, but I don't like this. Just about everything else is multiplatform (SkyDrive, Google's Cloud) with no requirement of installing any other bit of software. I am currently using Google over iCloud because I use more than just Apple products throughout the house, and especially work. I would say iCloud is inferior for this reason (and this reason only, right now).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Wasn't Microsoft Office first made for Macintosh computers?

Apple did have an agreement with Microsoft on exclusitivity for a while on some Microsoft software.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I am currently using Google over iCloud because I use more than just Apple products throughout the house, and especially work.
    I will never use Google for cloud storage as you agree to let them use, modify, and distribute your data in your storage as they see fit.
    No thank you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I will never use Google for cloud storage as you agree to let them use, modify, and distribute your data in your storage as they see fit.
    No thank you.
    You do realize Apple has more permissions than that?

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

As I understand it, all free cloud storage providers have those rights and maybe more. If youre concerned about privacy, use private cloud storage, and even then...

Thanks

They are the same thing with different bells and whistles. I use all of them..Drop Box, iCloud and SkyDrive. They all work well and accomplish their objective STORAGE. No real argument just preference. I mean with SkyDrive I was able to get 25GB for free, cause of my windows live account. I don't see Apple giving away anything..I don't see drop box giving away anything. Before the rants start, i know Apple gives MobileMe users perks and Drop Box gives you a few MB's for recommending a user to sign up..but not 25GB!! Thats hard to walk away from. Im sure before you know it cloud storage will be more of a cost..just like date/voice plans. Told my friends 2 years ago that data plans would cost more than voice plans. We are on that path..im sure it will happen. Its progression..progress or get left behind. See you at the finish line..

But apple iCloud is made for both Mac and Windows , so that's cool , but the apple one will be more popular than the windows or Microsoft one !