Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Orders Apple and Samsung to Reduce Patent Claims in their Lawsuits

Thanks

Default Judge Orders Apple and Samsung to Reduce Patent Claims in their Lawsuits

Apple and Samsung have been ordered by Judge Lucy Koh to cut down the number of claims they are making against each other in a set of intellectual property lawsuits that will go on trial this summer. This is the second time Koh has given such an order and this time the judge even warned that the trial, which is currently set for July 30, could possibly be delayed until 2013.

According to a report from IDG News Service, “Apple and Samsung each had offered to drop some patents and claims for the case but said lack of cooperation from the other side prevented greater streamlining.” As of right now, the two companies have a total of "16 patents, six trademarks, five "trade dress" claims, and an antitrust case, with 37 products accused of violations" involved in the case. Koh reportedly said that “I think that’s cruel and unusual punishment to a jury, so I’m not willing to do it. If you’re going to trial in July, this is not going to be acceptable.”

The report continued to note that Apple claimed “it was the only party with an interest in bringing the case to trial on time.” The report noted that the company’s attorney even did “most of the pleading” for another opportunity to drop claims. The two companies continue to further complicate the situation between each other. Apple earlier this week filed a request to have logos on Samsung-branded court televisions obscured from jurors during the upcoming trial and asked that quotes from Steve Jobs to be excluded from the trial as well. Samsung on the other hand asked that “Apple related blogs, and articles by non-expert newspaper reporters” be excluded

The only good news on the horizon is that both companies’ CEOs scheduled to meet for court-moderated settlement talks later this month. In an effort to be prepared for the talks, both Apple and Samsung have been asked to submit a “candid evaluation” of the relative strengths and weaknesses of their claims and defenses. We’ll have to wait and see if the two are able to resolve the disputes between one another.

Source: Computerworld

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Play nice is what they really said.
    My latest theme - -

I feel like judges should be obliged to do their job.. Not saying apple and Samsung aren't being childish (which they are) but judges shouldn't be able to do this (yes I am not a fan of government having to much power.. But that does not mean I'm republican or democratic since they are both crooks:P). Also I don't want a political debate etc. but judges shouldnt be able to deny someonea trial/appeal or w/e because they are lazy.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lazy Judge...

A judge at this stage determines what goes past this stage. His job is to shave the crap and somewhat make sure tax payers money isn't totally wasted. If every motion or charge past this stage the courts would have a backlog 10 years long. He is doing his job fine. More judges should call Apple and Samsung on their crap. A cowardice judge or lazy judge would just pass the headache to someone else.

It's funny when you see people commenting on how "childish" they are, without even knowing that valid patent claims are being tossed back and forth. Judge cannot just tell them, "you better stop all these patent claims!" I don't really think the Judge even knows the importance of patents.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Lazy Judge...
    What he said.
    AkAdeMicKs

I am sure the judge knows a lot more about patent law than any of us. Anyone can claim that they were infringed but whether or not is a different story. Anyone that thinks that this isn't a pissing contest hasn't been reading to much on this subject. Both parties involved could not produce their phones because they both own so many patents. If either side made a phone with only tech they have it would blow. Once people understand this fully you understand these lawsuits are frivolous.

If you're saying that this is because the judge is lazy, you clearly haven't experienced jury duty. It would SUCK to do jury duty for this case especially with all of these stupid claims. I think it's great that the judge is doing this service to those who must do jury duty.

Actually, I think each patent/issue should have to go to trial separately and I think that if the company or person that initiated the lawsuit looses, they should not only have to pay all of the defendant's costs, but also all costs of the court.

This would stop frivolous lawsuits real quick, because it would make them too expensive.

Samsung on the other hand asked that “Apple related blogs, and articles by non-expert newspaper reporters” be excluded

I asssume that includes mmi then :P