Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Helped Inspire Facebook's Organ Donor Push

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Helped Inspire Facebook's Organ Donor Push

At the age of 56, Steve Jobs passed away in October of 2011 and prematurely deprived the world of one of its greatest tech visionaries. But the world would have been deprived much sooner if not for the individual who had died and graciously left their liver for Steve Jobs several years earlier.

The late and iconic Apple CEO was, for obvious reasons, forever grateful for the generosity of those who agreed to donate their organs for the good of others in need. As the recipient of a life-saving liver transplant, Jobs was motivated in 2010 to back a bill before the California state legislature that would ultimately pass and make it easier for residents to become organ donors.

But perhaps Jobs' legacy to hep increase organ donor registration will most compellingly live on in the realm of Facebook, where this week Mark Zuckerberg admitted that Jobs' transplant was integral to the impetus for Facebook's latest effort.

On Tuesday, Zuckerberg announced a new social sharing tool on Facebook designed to help spread the word about organ donations and hopefully inspire more people to become organ donors.

“Starting today,” Zuckerberg says, “you can add that you’re an organ donor to your timeline, and share your story about when, where or why you decided to become a donor. If you’re not already registered with your state or national registry and want to be, you’ll find a link to the official donor registry there as well.”

By Wednesday morning, more than 100,000 Facebook users had shared their donor status. Donate Life America, the organization working with Facebook, said 18,000 users had linked from Facebook to their state registries to sign up to become an organ donor.

Upon launch of the new sharing tool, Zuckerberg told ABC News that Steve Jobs was never far from his thoughts when working on this effort.

"That definitely, I think, was something that we all had in mind as we were building this out," Zuckerberg said. "His story is just one of many, of people who both were able to have an organ transplant that made his life longer, and he was extremely thankful for that."

Source: ABC News

Wow I always thought it was up to the individual (family being aware that that's your wish) to whether or not you wanted to be a donor I didnt no that you needed state legislation,must work very differently in the US as to the UK. As for facebook it's commendable that they are doing this to make more people aware I just hope that it's done for the right reasons on zuckenbergs part,And I'm a proud carrier of a donor card and have been for many a year.

This is a good idea. But black market deals much. You may think this is silly but 1000s of people sell kidneys an organs on the black market etc. this is a great cause but it's a bit scary. Also I don't like having my personal info online (btw I plan to be an organ donor)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Popup: "This app would like to use your organs." [Allow] [Don't Allow]

Thanks

Yes, that's right. A life-saving liver transplant.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Popup: "This app would like to use your organs." [Allow] [Don't Allow]
    Not that this subject is a laughing matter...... But this made it a little brighter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

I saw this topic on the news the other day and thought what a great idea!
    My latest theme - -