Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Knockoff iMac Proves Beauty is Only Skin Deep

Default Knockoff iMac Proves Beauty is Only Skin Deep

Knockoff Apple products are nothing new. The iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air and MacBook Pros all have their variants. But, none of them look quite like this Chinese iMac knockoff.

According to the manufacturer’s website the chassis is made from highly recyclable aluminum and glass that meet Energy Star 5.2 requirements much like its real iMac counterpart. Also, it weighs just as much as the original 21.5” iMac.

However, the similarities are only skin deep. Inside of this $300 knockoff is about $100 worth of components. The knockoff is powered by a 1.8GHz Intel Atom D525 processor, NVIDIA ION graphics, 500GB hard drive, and 4GB of RAM. The display is an 18.4-inch LED-backlit TFT display (1920 x 1080). The unit includes 802.11b/g/n WiFi as well as six USB ports, headphone and mic inputs and an ethernet port. Also, there appears to be space cut out for a DVI port between the ethernet port and USB ports. Sadly, the keyboard and mouse included appear to be wired, even if the mouse does look exactly like a magic mouse.

The $300 price tag doesn’t seem horrible, but considering the specs and that it is a Windows only computer, anyone looking to do more than search the web, watch a bit of streaming video play Facebook is better suited to look elsewhere.

Source: MicGadget
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 04-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.

I want one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it come with an OS installed? What OS does it run?
    The back of it looks like plastic. You can see what appears to be the tool separation marks.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The $300 price tag doesn’t seem horrible, but considering the specs, anyone looking to do more than search the web, watch a bit of streaming video play Facebook is better suited to look elsewhere.
    I think it is pretty safe to say that is about all MOST people do with their computers, as is evidence of the huge success of the iPad. Obviously a $300 unit isn't made for gaming, video editing, etc. The entry level iMac at $1200 even struggles with some of those things.

At $300, I would be more worried about how long it will actually function rather than what it can't do.

Being $300 doesn't necessarily mean it will just die

Maybe be useful for just a internet consumption device. But don't think it will do to much more. Doesn't even say if it comes with an OS but at that price it is safe to say a form of Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Does it come with an OS installed? What OS does it run?
    The back of it looks like plastic. You can see what appears to be the tool separation marks.
    Updated the story to answer this, but it is a Windows only computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Lol windows only. If it can run windows it can be forced to run a decent Linux distro.

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Lol windows only. If it can run windows it can be forced to run a decent Linux distro.
    Ha well of course. What distro do you use? Arch, Mint, Debian, Fedora? There's a ton more, but the best for this set up would probably be the net-book optimized Jolicloud.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see this info in the story and I just read it on an iphone

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    I want one.
    me to

Besides one can always hackintosh it...

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I don't see this info in the story and I just read it on an iphone
    Sorry about that. For some reason when updating we have to update the article published to the main ModMyi page, as well as the original forum post it was published form

Sorry about that. For some reason when updating we have to update the article published to the main ModMyi page, as well as the original forum post it was published form
    Yea, in order for changes on news articles we have to update the article and then the forum thread.

It's specs aren't exactly what I'd call crappy it has some pretty nice features it could be useful for modders haha

it looks cheep and nasty, anybody who buys one thinking it's a mac needs an eye test
    Last edited by dsg; 04-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks

Beast!!! I'd buy in a heartbeat. Not sure how u think thats only 100 of components, a 500gb drive, 4gb ram large screen and all the rest?

"knockoff is powered by a 1.8GHz Intel Atom D525 processor, NVIDIA ION graphics, 500GB hard drive, and 4GB of RAM. The display is an 18.4-inch LED-backlit TFT display (1920 x 1080). The unit includes 802.11b/g/n WiFi as well as six USB ports, "

"The $300 price tag doesn’t seem horrible, but considering the specs and that it is a Windows only computer, anyone looking to do more than search the web, watch a bit of streaming video or play Facebook games is better suited to look elsewhere. "

Seriously??? The computer I'm on right now doesn't even have specs that good and I use it daily for everything. Just because you can't run a bunch of graphic heavy progz at the same time, doesn't mean this isn't a good deal for the money. I'd buy it.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about a hackintosh yet. The Intel Atom D525 CPU and NVIDIA ION GPU are both supported with QE/CI with a just a bit of research. Everything else shouldn't be too difficult after that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation No...
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    me to

Besides one can always hackintosh it...
    It has an Intel Atom CPU. Not hackintosh friendly :/

Full specs, it has a camera to

Configuration: Intel D525, processor, dual-core, four threads, clocked at 1.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 memory, 500G hard drive, 18.4-inch HD LED screen resolution of 1920 * 1080, built-in stereo speakers, support for Bluetooth, Wifi, 1.3 million pixel camera, product size 54 * 20 * 45, weight 9.3kg. Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure to comply with the ENERGY STAR Energy Star 5.2 standard, EPEAT Gold Gold certification.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast