Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Rules in Favor of Apple in Samsung Infringement Suit

Thanks

Default Judge Rules in Favor of Apple in Samsung Infringement Suit

U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal recently sided with Apple in a court determination against Samsung over documents mentioning Apple’s products according to a report from Bloomberg. The order prompted speculation that the documents could provide Apple with an advantage, showing that the Korean handset maker willfully copied its competition’s designs.

According to the Judge, “The scale of Samsung’s production and the burden placed on it by the compressed case schedule and the numerous claims at issue are not in doubt. That burden, however, does not negate Samsung’s obligation to comply with no fewer than two court orders specifying the production of documents that reference Apple’s products."

The orders also impose monetary sanctions on Samsung, although not all of the damages that Apple was seeking were granted. The amount of the sanctions was not specified in the court filings according to the report either. Adam Yates, a Samsung spokesman said in a statement that the company will comply with the order. “Samsung will respond in accordance with the court’s order and produce the requested documentation within the timeframe provided.”

Since the Cupertino California company filed the suit against Samsung, the legal clash between the two has encompassed more than 30 complaints across 10 countries. The issue has escalated to a point where both CEOs of the two companies agreed earlier in the month to meet for moderated settlement talks in San Francisco, California within the next 90 days. According to Cook, he would “highly prefer” to settle the lawsuits his company is waging against its rivals but he also expressed a willingness to protect Apple’s intellectual property. According to him, “the key thing is that Apple not become the developer for the world, we need people to invent their own stuff.”

Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 04-25-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

I love to hear about these lawsuits. When I think of buying a Mac I read these and remind myself why I wont buy one.
    I will now go buy an Samsung Android tablet instead of an iPad. I will also get a new laptop instead of a MacBook as its heaps cheaper and heaps better.
    Thanks again to Apple for the lawsuits and making my choice of device a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I love to hear about these lawsuits. When I think of buying a Mac I read these and remind myself why I wont buy one.
    I will now go buy an Samsung Android tablet instead of an iPad. I will also get a new laptop instead of a MacBook as its heaps cheaper and heaps better.
    Thanks again to Apple for the lawsuits and making my choice of device a lot easier.
    Good to know that you promote and support piracy between corporations.

Well if you ain't happy with apple why you on this site

So then, why are you on this website again?

How u see android tablet as better is mystery to me! They are cheap I will allow you that but the overall build quality is often so poor and cheap, also andriod is a load of s**t and yes I have tried it on many devices! And as for not buying a mac lets be honest u just can't afford one and u wee story is just to make you sound better!! It's ok I can't afford one either but I'm honest about that!

Lol ^^ nicely put buddy

I don't understand how Apple filing suit against Samsung for infringement, and having a judge rule in favor of of said suit, would cause anyone to dislike Apple. Your logic is questionable at best. If Chevrolet filed suit against Ford for stealing its windshield wiper system, and a judge ruled for Chevrolet, would you then buy a Ford? Apple has a right to protect its patents. So would you, if you had any. I happen to like Samsung TVs, but I don't buy them because I'm angry at another company. I buy them because they suit my needs. If Android products suit your needs, then buy them. Oh, and, good question, why ARE you here if you don't like Apple products. This is a site for and about Apple products. Why not go to a site selling Samsung products and say how much you like Samsung and hate Apple?

How can anyone not afford one. It's not like you have to pay cash up front. Um credit card like me and pay the little payments. My parents bought a pc with all the warranty and added crap for $2500 at best buy. The iMacs just starting out are what $1100? I don't understand

Its funny how you used a windshield wiper system, Ford actually stole intermittent windshield wiper from an inventor. Ruined his life because he spent it all fighting them. He was finally compensated.

Buy an android ICS tablet and buy an ultrabook. You will never go wrong.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziim View Post
    its funny how you used a windshield wiper system, ford actually stole intermittent windshield wiper from an inventor. Ruined his life because he spent it all fighting them. He was finally compensated.
    ^^this!!!

Thanks

I was gna buy Apple stuff but then I realized I want a ****** copy of what Apple makes instead.

When I think of buying a Mac I read these and remind myself why I wont buy one.
    No you won't. You'll go and buy what ever suits your eyes, your pocket and your ego cos you're just as shallow as the rest of us!

I have a 2008 MacBook pro unibody version never part from it plus can't afford to buy another

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    How can anyone not afford one. It's not like you have to pay cash up front. Um credit card like me and pay the little payments. My parents bought a pc with all the warranty and added crap for $2500 at best buy. The iMacs just starting out are what $1100? I don't understand
    Well I hope you enjoy living in debt for the rest of your life. I'm not buying a luxury item unless I have cash or get 0% financing. Being able to afford something is far different than having $2,000.00 left on your credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by ziim View Post
    Its funny how you used a windshield wiper system, Ford actually stole intermittent windshield wiper from an inventor. Ruined his life because he spent it all fighting them. He was finally compensated.
    I referenced the Ford/wiper issue intentionally (it wasn't just a happy coincidence), as the poster I was addressing was speaking of buying from the infringing party, not the injured party. Ford was the infringing party. Hence, my use of wipers and Ford. Thanks for noticing.
    Senior

3 words f%#+ you Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Well...since u used a credit card you paid more than $1100 for it and I am not counting taxes.

Also most people are computer illiterate and yes I do suggest macs to people that know nothing about computers.
    But for those people that want more bang for there buck I say build a pc.

And most people hate windows because they spent to little on it.
    If they knew about technical specs on computers.
    If u want windows to beat every OS u basically need 8gb of ram a 6 core processor at 2.8 gh (amd preferred, don't get those fake intel cores) I don't really believe in hyper threading when u can have 6 real cores than 4 real 2 fake.
    A ssd and a solid motherboard.

You will spend $800 for a beast of a computer with virtually no limits.

Oh and your parents bought a computer at best buy...they ripped u off hard core :/

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I was gna buy Apple stuff but then I realized I want a ****** copy of what Apple makes instead.

Umm what? Linux is awesome how dare you call linux a ******** copy of apple OS >:@
    Last edited by Cellular; 04-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.

It really depends on what, exactly, you are doing with a computer. For hard-core gamers, sure, a PC is the way to go. For video editing I'm not convinced PC is the way to go. For general use, I don't think either platform has the edge. But Mac DOES have the edge when it comes to user-friendliness. As to the majority of users being computer illiterate, I'm not sure that matters to most people who want their computer to do specific things and are happy when it does. It's like building a high-performance car. Yes, it does work "better" than a "regular" car, the kind most people buy. It's faster. It may go around corners better. It's got better specs. But it may need a more highly-motivated owner, one willing to invest more time and energy in it, rather than an owner who just wants to drive it around and not worry about it.

So, while your point about building an $800 "beast" has merits, it doesn't hold true for a majority of people who have no interest in owning or maintaining a beast. Most people just want a computer that works, is easy to work with, can be fixed easily, and (maybe) one that looks "nice." Just as many people don't want to be bothered jail breaking a phone and being able to use "cool" apps and tweaks. Most of my friends with iPhones run them stock. They see my jailbroken and tweaked GUI one, they understand what I've done, but they just don't see the need for it. I no longer even try to extoll the idea of jail breaking on its merits, because it just doesn't suit their needs. Just as an $800 beast doesn't suit everyone's needs.
    Senior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast