Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Launches Google Drive Cloud Storage Service, iOS App Not Released Yet

Thanks

Default Google Launches Google Drive Cloud Storage Service, iOS App Not Released Yet

Google recently announced its long-awaited Google Drive cloud storage service which provides users with 5GB of free storage integrated with Google Docs and other Google Services. The service introduces a place where users can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Google describes the following:” Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.”

Google offers 16 TB’s of paid storage beyond the 5 GB level, all of which is accessible via Google Docs or through clients for the PC, Mac, Android, and iOS devices; although the iOS app has yet to be released. Google did promise that the iOS app is “coming soon.”

One of the biggest features in Drive is the ability to open more than 30 different file types directly in the browser, allowing users without programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop to open up files and see what’s inside. The service includes extensive sharing and collaboration features for users as well, which many may find appealing.

The launch of Google Drive comes as several other cloud storage services have improved upon their services recently as well. Microsoft’s SkyDrive, which now offers 7 GB of free cloud storage was updated just yesterday with compatibility for an iOS app along with a preview client for OS X Lion, which allows users to manage their SkyDrive accounts directly from the Finder. Last but not least, Dropbox recently extended its file storage service with the ability to quickly share files stored on Dropbox with anyone, simply by creating a link as well. We'll have to wait and see how Google's offering stacks up compared to the others over time.

Source: Google

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

im dropping Dropbox as soon as there is an IOS app.

Google will only troll through you files to target you with even more "personalised" ad's I closed all my google accounts a few months back and won't be using this either

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Microsoft drive offers now and for limited time a free upgrade to 25 GB, thats great. apple cloud, google cloud, and dropbox non of them offers 25GB

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waye2 View Post
    Microsoft drive offers now and for limited time a free upgrade to 25 GB, thats great. apple cloud, google cloud, and dropbox non of them offers 25GB
    Thanks for letting me know! I just claimed my free upgrade, and told all my friends about it

With all these free cloud services, I'm having difficulty remembering which one I stored that important file on! I'm too cheap to actually buy any storage, now that I've got around 80GB for free

Quote Originally Posted by waye2 View Post
    Plus they have and app for PC/Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Windows Phone. Google is selling 25GB for $5 per month. I'm going to start using SkyDrive.

I haven't maxed-out my dropbox account and many iOS apps can connect to DropBox and not Google's Drive or Microsoft. Also how does Google Insync figure into this mess? I've already got 1GB with Insync with what seems like all the features of Google Drive, so do I ditch Insync for GD?

Damn you Google. Feature rich, UI poor.

Edit: Okay, Insync isn't a Google product but is so well integrated I though it was. And actually Insync works better than Google Drive as it's more like DropBox but has multiple account syncing. http://sgentrepreneurs.com/innovatio...ync-redundant/
    Last edited by Zon; 04-25-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Enjoy with 5GB of free storage service from Google.

While I don't deny the useful of online storage, I really do have to question why so many people feel it's safe to rely on that for all your person documents, music libraries, etc. Also, most people don't seem to consider the effect on the Internet itself. As more and more people start using "cloud services" for heavier and heavier files (large music libraries, videos/movies, etc), coupled with all the HD movie streaming that's being pushed more and more, the Internet is going to get more and more congested and there already are signs of that, as evidenced by more and more ISPs setting lower and lower monthly transfer caps.

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    im dropping Dropbox as soon as there is an IOS app.
    this.