Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Greenpeace Stages More Protests at Apple Stores

Default Greenpeace Stages More Protests at Apple Stores

Greenpeace continued their “Clean our cloud” campaign today through a series of synchronized protests at Apple Store’s in San Francisco, New York City, and Toronto.

Just after 11 a.m. around a dozen protesters invaded Apple’s store in downtown San Francisco. Some of the protesters were dressed as janitors and mimed cleaning the windows, while others carried massive bouquets of black helium filled balloons that they then unleashed in the store.

Greenpeace’s ongoing beef with Apple stems from the company and its attempt to present itself as a serious clean-energy user even after being criticized in a 2011 Greenpeace report. Apple’s massive Maiden, North Carolina data center is at the center of Greenpeace's latest tirade against the company. While Apple claims they have plans to build solar farms and utilize other clean energy sources to ultimate supply 60 percent of the data center’s power, the current percentage of clean energy being used is around 10 percent. Apple gets the majority of the energy needed to power the facility from nearby Duke energy. Duke energy relies solely on coal and nuclear power.

Apple’s future plans haven’t done much to quell Greenpeace’s worries. It’s tough cut Apple slack when the company has $110 billion in cash on hand. If any company can afford to set the clean energy example it is Apple. But, Greenpeace has their fair share of critics as well, especially those critical of their campaigns against genetically engineered foods. Also, it seems just a little ironic that Greenpeace protested by releasing balloons filled with helium which is a product of radioactive decay and fractional distillation and not too mention is in short supply and non-renewable.

Source: Wired, Gizmodo

Damn liberals...

They are still crying about this? They really need to get a life and I thought that Apple Stores had security guards or whatever?

Apple figure out a way to buy greenpeace and then fire everyone.
    Hmm...

Are those ballons biodegradable?

Thanks

LOL..Aren't Apples Biodegradable?, this just insults my intelligence..lmao

haha thanks for washing the windows? Normally when I see balloons I think of celebration and not protest... The cloud is fine.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

So they are protesting for the environment and they used hundreds of mylar balloons made from oil and not biodegradable... hmmm

I love the fact that in the picture with the guy cleaning the windows nobody gives a crap about him and he's actually doing apple a favor by cleaning the windows. And the people at the store with the balloons probably thought it was a party since most apple products are black and white. These morons should just go live in the forest for a week and see how much the forest is going to like them. And i got nothing against protecting the environment, it's these moron that have no real jobs or any type of compromises and still get money to do this kind of crap.

Hmm...So, I would like to know:
    How did they get to the Apple stores?
    If they drove, took a plane or any form of public transit, they used nonrenewable energy to get there, even if they used electric vehicles, as most of our electricity still comes from oil or coal. Even natural gas vehicles use some electricity to put the gas into the vehicles and charge for it.

If they rode a bike or walked to get there, then they spent their own energy, but the question is what did they put into their bodies to get the energy..in other words, what did they eat and where did it come from?

How is using balloons good for the environment? (Based on their arguments that these things are toxic to the environment)

The list could go on and on and on, but you get the idea.

Cleaner windows and balloons that could be confused as promoting iCloud. I use aerosol hair spray. Will they come clean my house?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Greenpeace always does stupid things like this. They quickly come up with an idea that they think is cool and put it into play without thinking it all the way through...like using the type of balloons they released. Apple will eventually have their solar farms like they've said, so GP just needs to cool it and come up with some better ideas to get their point across.

Quote Originally Posted by A New DAY View Post
    Damn liberals...
    +1
    Hacking away at the Apple tree!

It can't be Crysis...... Unless you have a Crisis trying to kill those damn aliens
    Sys specs: AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3ghz, 4 gb ram, OS: Windows 7 F.I.R.E 2010 Edition, nVidia 7900 GS, I-INC 25" LCD Monitor

Proud iPhone 4 32gb Black 5.0.1 and iPad 3 64gb Black 5.1 owner

Sorry I know I will get a ton of abuse but I liked this protest and I agree Apple should be leading the way forward, as they do with their products, by using renewable energy.

Slainte

Spliff

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spliff1 View Post
    Sorry I know I will get a ton of abuse but I liked this protest and I agree Apple should be leading the way forward, as they do with their products, by using renewable energy.

Slainte

Spliff
    So you feel this was a well thought out & executed protest? Balloons and all?
    Just trying to understand your thought process.

IMO this is just Greepeace trying to get some attention, they know all eyes are on Apple at the moment so they are trying to grab a few headlines!

Apple should just buy Renewable Energy Credits. Renewable Energy Credits Explained

Someone should drop by with a laser and just blast those balloons to drop them.
    Last edited by Zon; 04-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Apple needs to get behind free energy such as these

Top 5 Exotic Free Energy Technologies - PESWiki

And by the way, carbon DOES NOT cause global warming. Thats rubbish al gore spin! Climate-gate and tons of others know this.