+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Treats The New York Times the Same as Farmville

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With a single statement, Senior Apple Executive Eddy Cue, summarized Apples stance in the recent antitrust suit, and the current state of traditional media in the digital world. "I don't
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Treats The New York Times the Same as Farmville

With a single statement, Senior Apple Executive Eddy Cue, summarized Apples stance in the recent antitrust suit, and the current state of traditional media in the digital world.

"I don't think you understand. We can't treat newspapers or magazines any differently than we treat FarmVille." — Eddy Cue
    The rest of the Article written by L. Gordon Crovitz (his first name wasn’t good enough?) lays out a convincing argument in favor of the agency model. Crovitz argues the agency model allowed traditional bookstores like Barnes and Noble, as well as other publishers to compete with the juggernaut Amazon in the e-book marketplace. He’s right that competition leveled out once publishers controlled the price of e-books and that Amazon’s share of the e-book market dropped to 60 percent. But, this doesn’t show that the agency model was directly responsible, it doesn’t show causation.

The rest of the argument laid out ignores Apple included a clause in the original agreement that prevented publishers from pricing their books lower than the price found in Apple’s iBookstore. The author also forgets to mention the emails and communications between publishers that aimed to kill the “wretched $9.99 price point” according to the suit. The Agency model isn’t illegal. Apple requesting 30% isn’t illegal even if it might bite them in the butt down the line. But, actively colluding to decrease the options available to consumers is. Having dinner, making phone calls, and emailing each other about raising prices to harm consumers is collusion.

Whether or not you agree with the legitimacy of the Department of Justice’s antitrust suit, the more disturbing issue for content producers is how Apple and the rest of the digital world views newspapers, and magazines. What was once the voice of the people, and purveyor of the public sphere is viewed on the same level as a farming simulator or a bunch of malcontent birds. Whether you read the newspaper or not the cheapening of newspapers, and magazines continues. The fourth estate is being strangled, and much of it is their own fault. They along with the recording industry failed to innovate and held on to antiquated business models to the detriment of their existence.

However, when the newspapers and magazines fail, and their digital counterparts inevitably choke to death as well, who is left inform the public and help maintain the public sphere? What happens when the public sphere becomes so fragmented collective action becomes impossible?

The transition to a completely networked society and age of digital content is hardly complete, and hope is not lost. I just wish those controlling the press would have embraced internet communication technologies earlier.

Source: WSJ
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 04-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL at the statement! I totally agree!!
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Phillip.....are you drunk?! What did I just read?? An opinion piece? I feel like i just read a response to a actual news article rather than reading a news article. And u seem to be personally offended by the statement/comparison Apple made....Sorry, but they are right.

I can see that you are hurting, and that you have very strong feelings for the NY Times.....and they let you down.....And Apples harsh words must have hurt you even more....Don't worry, the world, you and I, will find a way to survive and adapt....together!!!!

Be STRONG! You can make it through this! We are here for you!
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 04-23-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    El Zurdo

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Phillip.....are you drunk?! What did I just read?? An opinion piece? I feel like i just read a response to a actual news article rather than reading a news article. And u seem to be personally offended by the statement/comparison Apple made....Sorry, but they are right.

I can see that you are hurting, and that you have very strong feelings for the NY Times.....and they let you down.....And Apples harsh words must have hurt you even more....Don't worry, the world, you and I, will find a way to survive and adapt....together!!!!

Be STRONG! You can make it through this! We are here for you!
    I was gonna say +1, but then your little joke just wasn't funny after the next 10 lines.

Horrible article. Sounded like you were a conspiracy theorist. Please stop with all the random parentheses. We don't want to hear your opinion on the name L. Gordon whatever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What was once the voice of the people, and purveyor of the public sphere is viewed on the same level as a farming simulator or a bunch of malcontent birds.
    Oh, come on. He's not saying that Farmville and the New York Times are the same in importance. He's obviously saying that they need to be treated the same from a revenue perspective. Apple isn't giving any special deals to anybody. You can drop the hyperbole.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Edited. misread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

Not sure why people are getting upset by this. Phillip's perspective is solid. Unless you're one of those people that can't handle two perspectives at once, IN ONE HEAD!

"Preposterous!" says the elite fool.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude. Angry Birds and FarmVille are as important as the New York Times because of DEMAND - which is a form of majority-rules voting. In this case, iOS device holders are those casting votes.

So... The sob story about the decline of written literature, while heartfelt, is a view not shared by most iPhone holders.

Also - that means its probably not a good idea to post that opinion on this site.

Just sayin.