+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Launches SkyDrive Client for Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
iCloud is well-integrated into Mac OS X and iOS, however it is much less versatile as other cloud services such as Dropbox. Unfortunately, Dropbox doesn’t give you a whole lot
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Launches SkyDrive Client for Mac

iCloud is well-integrated into Mac OS X and iOS, however it is much less versatile as other cloud services such as Dropbox. Unfortunately, Dropbox doesn’t give you a whole lot of storage without referring many people. Today Microsoft’s cloud service, Skydrive, gets its own Mac client to help it compete with services like Dropbox for Apple users. Until now, Mac users needed to use the Web interface to use SkyDrive. Apart from the client for Mac, Microsoft also released an update for the App Store version of the SkyDrive client for iOS devices.

As made evident by the screenshot above, the SkyDrive client for Mac brings a drag-and-drop folder interface to the Mac OS X user folder just like Dropbox does. It also adds a pane to the left side of the window. This allows the user to easily move files from one place into the folder and they immediately become available on the SkyDrive server for other devices (such as your iOS devices with the SkyDrive application installed on them) under the same account to see and use.

Older Windows Live users will be able to take advantage of 25GB of free cloud space, which is a large amount of space for free considering Apple only gives you 5GB of free iCloud space for all of your devices connected to your Apple ID. To get the same amount of storage from iCloud, Apple will charge you $40 per year. Newcomers will only get 7GB to play with. Just like Dropbox, Microsoft's SkyDrive client places an icon on the Menu Bar, shown below:

Clicking on the Menu Bar icon brings up a drop-down menu, which gives you the option to update the SkyDrive client, quickly launch either the SkyDrive local folder or Web client, manage your storage, access the preferences, or quit the application. One major turn off with the Mac SkyDrive client is that it keeps an icon on the Mac OS X dock as long as the application is open and unfortunately, the only way to get rid of the icon is to quit SkyDrive altogether, which closes it and ends your session with it until you launch the application again.

The preferences for the SkyDrive client are also limited, offering only two options: 1. sending anonymous data to Microsoft to help improve the application; and 2. launching the application automatically when you power your Mac on and log in.

For 25GB (7GB if you're new) of absolutely free cloud storage, I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to take advantage of this client. If you think you might use it and you can get over the slightly less-polished interface, then be sure to head over to Microsoft’s site and give it a try.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks

It's only 7GB now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just got my 25G of storage and now in the process of moving my dropbox items over to skydrive.

How to hide Dock icon:
    Open Terminal
    Type: defaults write /Applications/SkyDrive.app/Contents/Info.plist LSUIElement 1
    You may need to restart the client if it was running when you ran #2

Found on microsoft answers page.
    Last edited by iMod94; 04-23-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So much for 25 gigs. I've had my hotmail account for almost 8 years and I got 7 gigs. Blah.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iMod94 View Post
    Just got my 25G of storage and now in the process of moving my dropbox items over to skydrive.

How to hide Dock icon:
    Open Terminal
    Type: defaults write /Applications/SkyDrive.app/Contents/Info.plist LSUIElement 1
    You may need to restart the client if it was running when you ran #2

Found on microsoft answers page.

Thanks for the tip about the dock icon!
    I am loving this extra 25!! Time to do some housekeeping and start moving files.

Thanks

you can keep the 25GB if you are a previous member, once you log in you get an alert on the top of the page, saying if you want to keep your 25gb act now

Thanks

Wow..this is awesome! Guess MS had to do something to compete with iCloud..i'll take it! I like the fact that it is universal..not biased to an OS very nice. Oh and the extra 18GB for free is not a bad catch either. Time to start uploading to SkyDrive

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah but the thing that makes dropbox so useful is the integration into things like QuickOffice on my iPad. I don't see availability to add SkyDrive.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well guess MS is not so ready. I just tried to log in with my windows live id which I have not used in years and got the following.. LOL
    Microsoft Launches SkyDrive Client for Mac-screen-shot-2012-04-24-7.03.57-am.png

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nmejunkie View Post
    So much for 25 gigs. I've had my hotmail account for almost 8 years and I got 7 gigs. Blah.
    Tell me about it! I've had Hotmail for at least 12 years and I only got 7gb too! How do we qualify for 25gb?

Thanks

You have to be a user already and it will upgrade you to 25GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Tell me about it! I've had Hotmail for at least 12 years and I only got 7gb too! How do we qualify for 25gb?
    doesnt matter how long youve had your hotmail. you had to sign up for skydrive prior to them downgrading to 7gb.

if you had skydrive prior to the news, all you have to do is log in and upgrade to the 25gb for free.

dumb that the skydrive for mac is lion only.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cnniphone View Post
    doesnt matter how long youve had your hotmail. you had to sign up for skydrive prior to them downgrading to 7gb.

if you had skydrive prior to the news, all you have to do is log in and upgrade to the 25gb for free.

dumb that the skydrive for mac is lion only.

Maybe not, mine keeps crashing. On Lion.