Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst Predicts 17-Inch MacBook Pro to be Discontinued

Thanks

Default Analyst Predicts 17-Inch MacBook Pro to be Discontinued

According to a report released by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo (an analyst that has offered accurate information on Apple’s Mac product roadmap in the past), Apple may be preparing to drop the 17-inch MacBook Pro lineup due to weak sales.

The predictions come as Apple is expected to introduce new notebooks that serve as a hybrid between the current MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models. The thought process being that the new mixed line will offer greater power than the Air and better portability than the Pro. Kuo believes that Apple will choose to drop the 17-inch size as part of the revamp in order to streamline the company’s product offerings.

Kuo had the following to say about Apple:

Apple’s Mac business in 2Q12 will be boosted by several factors. Three of which are: (1) Mountain Lion, which integrates iOS features with Mac OS, Apple TV’s interaction function, will be launched in June; (2) upgrading to Ivy Bridge; and (3) back-to-school demand. We forecast Apple will sell 5.32mn units of the Mac series (up 28.5% QoQ and 35.2% YoY) in 2Q12, making it the main growth driver.

We also predict Apple will roll out a fully new MacBook model in early 3Q12, boasting strong performance and easy carryability by combining the advantages of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

While adding new products, Apple is likely to stop making the 17” MacBook Pro this year due to falling shipments, in order to maintain a lean product line strategy.
    His estimates indicate that Apple sold roughly 3.1 million notebooks, with nearly half of them being the 13-inch MacBook Pro, which is the company’s best-selling Mac product. While he does predict sales of nearly 1.5 million units of the 13-inch MacBook pro, he sees much lower sales of roughly 500,000 15-inch models and only 50,000 17-inch models. His estimates for the MacBook Air show sales being at roughly 1.1 million, split nearly equally between 11-inch and 13-inch models. Here, Kuo believes that the MacBook Air is only meeting the Cupertino California company’s expectations and not exceeding them because the solid-state drives don’t come in capacities large enough to appeal to many consumers. The trend will continue and SSD’s will continue to become more competitive over time though. We'll find out how accurate the estimates are though in Apple's April 24th earnings call.

The news doesn’t seem all that surprising given the performance of the 17-inch model in the past. No official announcements have been made regarding the MacBook in general as of yet and the waiting game continues.

Source: MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it's funny that the best selling product on the Mac line is the crappiest 'PRO' model ever! from what i can tell the difference between the mac line and the pro line is the thing having a video card. the 13" MBP 'lol' doesn't have one.
    the 15' MBP has always been the better buy. People are dumb.
    stupid apple, just give us what we want, the MBP 17' in a 13" MBA. LOL!!! Yeah.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I think it's funny that the best selling product on the Mac line is the crappiest 'PRO' model ever! from what i can tell the difference between the mac line and the pro line is the thing having a video card. the 13" MBP 'lol' doesn't have one.
    the 15' MBP has always been the better buy. People are dumb.
    stupid apple, just give us what we want, the MBP 17' in a 13" MBA. LOL!!! Yeah.

It's not that people are dumb. It's prob more of a mobility issue. I travel every week and notice (including myself). That everyone I see carries a small laptop. The 13" is perfect. I have 16gb ram, 500gig SSD and it screams with no issues running gfx software. For heavy gamers I am sure they would want something bigger but from the biz aspect it's perfect. Much faster and more reliable than what I have used in the past. Also with respect to desktop replacements most are just getting a large monitor and docking. No need for a traditional laptop with huge screens.

I think merging the air and pro is a great idea as long as apl doesn't sacrifice performance and price.

Btw ssd's and ram are reasonable if purchaced from 3rd parties like newegg. Got my kit for under 500. Worth it for me plus 800 cheapier than from apl.

Thanks

no worries. Apple knows what is best for you so if they say you don't need a 17" laptop then you don't need one. period. end of story.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    no worries. Apple knows what is best for you so if they say you don't need a 17" laptop then you don't need one. period. end of story.
    What a ridiculous statement to make. Lat me fix it for you.

Apple knows hat is best for their sales. If 17" laptops aren't selling they will stop producing them.

Make sense?
    Hint: this is business. All companies discontinue non leoditae products.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    It's not that people are dumb. It's prob more of a mobility issue. I travel every week and notice (including myself). That everyone I see carries a small laptop. The 13" is perfect. I have 16gb ram, 500gig SSD and it screams with no issues running gfx software. For heavy gamers I am sure they would want something bigger but from the biz aspect it's perfect. Much faster and more reliable than what I have used in the past. Also with respect to desktop replacements most are just getting a large monitor and docking. No need for a traditional laptop with huge screens.

I think merging the air and pro is a great idea as long as apl doesn't sacrifice performance and price.

Btw ssd's and ram are reasonable if purchaced from 3rd parties like newegg. Got my kit for under 500. Worth it for me plus 800 cheapier than from apl.
    I also travel frequently for work. Because of that I opted Also opted for a 13 inch MBP that up upped the ram with, and put an 500 gig Hybrid drive in. The 15 inch is to big and heavy to travel with. Now, if a 15inch air was released, I would be all over that.

As someone who used to travel with a macbook pro 17" (which I LOVE) I can honestly say, I love the 17" I just hated carrying 7 pounds + power supply plus other $h1t (camera+batteries+etc.) in my backpack, soooo to make a long story short, by the time I'd get to my destination, my back would be in pain. That's what prompted me to buy a MacAir. Not as powerful as my 17" but nonetheless functional. Also, should I be traveling around with a $3k laptop... probably not?

Now a days I'm even cutting back on traveling with my MacAir, I just bring my iPad, and if the ipad can't handle it, then I remote into a desktop somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Apple knows hat is best for their sales. If 17" laptops aren't selling they will stop producing them.
    The problem with your statement is that this isn't Apple speaking. It's only an analyst.

Thanks

And I was looking forward to upgrading from my mid '09 Macbook pro 17". What I liked about the 17" was the number of ports and the pc express slot. If I could get the pc express slot on a 15", i'd definitely grab that one instead.

Unless every Mac product comes with a standard 500 gb ssd I will never buy a Mac for 1,200 price range and at least 8 GB of ram

:P

Well I got my 17" 2011 mbp with the antiglare screen because I look at it for long periods of time. I always loved it and would be disappointed if they discontinue it. I think more people wanted the 15" and 17" but the pricing is what drive most people to the 13". I'm sorry but that thing is like a toy to me.

To the average consumer's credit, though, it was definitely $2,800 BEFORE $600 RAM upgrade to 16gb so yeah....I can see why many weren't sold. Lol
    Last edited by 2Jaze; 04-24-2012 at 02:16 AM.