Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 140,000 Macs Still Infected with Flashback Malware Despite Apple's Fix

Thanks

Default 140,000 Macs Still Infected with Flashback Malware Despite Apple's Fix

Although Apple released a number of Java patches and an uninstaller tool, it is being estimated that roughly 140,000 Macs worldwide are still affected by the Flashback Trojan. According to Symantec, the numbers are at a point much higher than forecasted by the security firm.

It was being predicted that the number of affected machines would have dropped by now given that Apple and third-party vendors released their respective Flashback-neutralizing programs last week. Apple even rolled out a removal tool for those Mac users who don’t have Java installed and may therefore be harboring a dormant version of the malware. The statistics from Symantec’s “sinkhole” or spoofed command and control server are showing that Flashback has been removed from roughly 460,000 machines since April 9th but the company expected less than 99,000 would be carrying the Trojan by today.

For those of you who don’t know, sinkholes are used by internet security and research firms to monitor and analyze the spread of malicious programs. There hasn’t been any speculation as of right now as to why the remaining Macs haven’t already disposed of Flashback since the self-installing program can easily be detected and deleted. It is possible that machine owners continue to remain unaware of the program and/or haven’t performed a software update that would remove it.

Meanwhile, another threat seems to have surfaced that uses a similar vulnerability as a means of distribution. The new threat called Backdoor.OSX.SabPub.a has also been seen being distributed in malicious Word documents, installing itself by exploiting a known record parsing buffer overflow vulnerability as well. As usual, try to be cautious as to what sites you are going to and what files you are opening as threats continue to surface and the OS X platform seems more and more vulnerable.

Source: Symantec (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Good it going down.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulp1xel View Post
    Good it going down.
    If that is indeed the case, then yes, it's good. But the fact remains that we don't know exactly how many were infected and how many still might be, since we have no idea many cases were and remain unreported and unknown. The original number of 600,000 was just known reported cases, but the actual number of infections is always going to be higher than what's only known. This is because there are always people who are not surveyed, as well as those who do not even realize their systems are infected (which a big reason why botnets in general have proliferated in recent years at the rate that they have.)

what's so good? there's no need for the hate. I prefer pc but am envious of mac users who don't need antivirus. I've spent a lot of money for all of my pc's to be "protected". If anyone should be hated it's the assholes creating these viruses and such.

Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
    what's so good? there's no need for the hate. I prefer pc but am envious of mac users who don't need antivirus. I've spent a lot of money for all of my pc's to be "protected". If anyone should be hated it's the assholes creating these viruses and such.
    I think the mention of something being good was in reference to the number of (known reported) cases going down as machines are installing updates that claim to be removing the infestation. If that is the case, then it is indeed a good thing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
    Just wait...apple will be the new Microsoft in a couple of years. Popularity isn't always a good thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    I think the mention of something being good was in reference to the number of (known reported) cases going down as machines are installing updates that claim to be removing the infestation. If that is the case, then it is indeed a good thing, no?
    That is exactly why I said that it I is a good thing.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION