+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Kills Free Trials for iWork and Aperture

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Kills Free Trials for iWork and Aperture

Apple appears to have stopped supporting free trial software for iWork (Keynote, Numbers, and Pages) and Aperture from their Web site. The iWork software is almost equivalent to Microsoft Office in many respects and Aperture allows you to perform some beautiful photo editing on your photographs. The iWork applications will set a buyer back $19.99 apiece and Aperture will set a buyer back $79.99.

Instead of Apple proudly handing out free copies of their software for a limited period of time from the software section of their site, the banner now explains that the software can be bought from the Mac App Store, ultimately stating that although you can’t try it for free anymore, you can still buy it to try it – sounds great right…?

The news illustrates how Apple is leading all software into the Mac App Store and making it less tangible over the Internet. For competing software like Microsoft Office, this is good news as the software can still be bought on store shelves and online, which will likely gain the most users not only for the freedom to grab it outside of the Mac App Store, but also because of the huge mark it has made in the IT industry.

With the upcoming operating system for Mac computers, OS X Mountain Lion, a new software known as Gatekeeper will try to make it so you can have the option to lock down software downloads to the Mac App Store only – probably going hand in hand with Apple’s decision to remove the free trials from their Web site. This will, however, increase your security as you won’t download and install rouge software on your Mac.

Sources: MacStories

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Great...just great..thanks apple
    Edit: re read the article and found that they're handing out copies. My bad. Lol
    Edit: never mind
    Last edited by iPod; 04-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That darn rouge software leaves me seeing red.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Great...just great..thanks apple
    Edit: re read the article and found that they're handing out copies. My bad. Lol
    I re-read it and the referenced article and couldn't find where 'they're handing out copies'. Sounds like the opposite. 'you can buy it to try it'. And if I don't like it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Up Sol 7 View Post
    That darn rouge software leaves me seeing red.....
    +1

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I re-read it and the referenced article and couldn't find where 'they're handing out copies'. Sounds like the opposite. 'you can buy it to try it'. And if I don't like it?
    They're not handing out copies. They were handing out free trials, but not anymore – thus I said, "for a limited period of time." Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    They're not handing out copies. They were handing out free trials, but not anymore – thus I said, "for a limited period of time." Hope this clarifies.
    I got what you wrote, I was replying to ipodtouchman77 (sp?) where he made it sound like they are still 'handing out copies' and I couldn't find anywhere that implied that. He added a second edit to re-re-clarify.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I got what you wrote, I was replying to ipodtouchman77 (sp?) where he made it sound like they are still 'handing out copies' and I couldn't find anywhere that implied that. He added a second edit to re-re-clarify.
    Yeah lol sorry about that

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

That sucks... I'd have liked to try it...
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.