+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rare Macintosh Going for $100K on eBay

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
A seller by the name of "Wozniak" has placed for sale an item on eBay that is a rare artifact in the world of Macintosh computers. Billed as "beyond rare,"
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Rare Macintosh Going for $100K on eBay

A seller by the name of "Wozniak" has placed for sale an item on eBay that is a rare artifact in the world of Macintosh computers. Billed as "beyond rare," what we have here is a prototype Macintosh 128K/Apple Mac with 5.25" Twiggy disk drive.

"The world's oldest known complete Mac" can be yours... if you have a spare $100,000 laying around. That's how much "Wozniak" is asking for it. Oh... and for clarification, it isn't the Wozniak. Here's how the seller describes himself:

I am not Steve Wozniak, nor am I attempting to impersonate him. My eBay ID is "wozniac", not "wozniak".
    I have had this eBay ID since 2007. Also, I live in Canada. Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple, Inc.) lives in the USA. My sincere apologies to you Steve, if this listing causes you any problems. Cheers!
    So far, no bids have been placed. But as of this writing, 5 days and 12 hours remain if you want to get in on the action and own a piece of history.

"To date, only bits and pieces of the original 'Twiggy Drive' Macintosh have ever surfaced... A motherboard here, a plastic case there, but never a complete machine or example," Wozniak says. "This is the only one! The computer and keyboard are authentic and original, dated 1982-83. The computer and its keyboard were acquired together and complete, and have not been pieced together from miscellaneous parts."

To check out the listing for yourself, click here.

Source: eBay

Thanks

I have a Tandy TS-80 and an original zork floppy, I wonder if he'd be willing to trade? ;p

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Schools budgets all over the US would have been fixed if they just held on to these old machines to sell on Ebay today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

A seller by the name of "Wozniak"
    The seller clearly states his name is "wozniac" so I am not sure why you constantly refer to him as "Wozniak" in your article. All you are doing is causing further confusion and stirring the pot.
    "To date, only bits and pieces of the original 'Twiggy Drive' Macintosh have ever surfaced... A motherboard here, a plastic case there, but never a complete machine or example," Wozniak says. "This is the only one! The computer and keyboard are authentic and original, dated 1982-83. The computer and its keyboard were acquired together and complete, and have not been pieced together from miscellaneous parts."
    You take it a step further by quoting a piece of the eBay seller description and crediting it not to the seller Wozniac, but to "Wozniak". You should consider editing your article so that you reflect the sellers name correctly. At no point did the seller ever state his name was "Wozniak" as you constantly refer to him as.
    Last edited by Melech518; 04-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm, wonder if my old Texas Instruments TI-99-4A is worth a fortune now....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    The seller clearly states his name is "wozniac" so I am not sure why you constantly refer to him as "Wozniak" in your article. All you are doing is causing further confusion and stirring the pot.

You take it a step further by quoting a piece of the eBay seller description and crediting it not to the seller Wozniac, but to "Wozniak". You should consider editing your article so that you reflect the sellers name correctly. At no point did the seller ever state his name was "Wozniak" as you constantly refer to him as.
    Agreed

Thanks

It doesn't have everything needed for it to work. so im going to pass on this one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Personally I'd prefer an ivy bridge mac book pro....

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's called a mistake. Ever made one before? "Wozniak" sounds the same as "Wozniac" so it isn't that amazingly rare for someone to misread the name on eBay and then type it incorrectly in an article.

*Edit: After reading the page I guess it kind of is a big deal to make that mistake... my bad.
    Last edited by Rich.; 04-12-2012 at 03:58 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

what is that black floppy thingy hanging out the front of that computer??

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Lol at the shipping cost being $1500.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AfterMercyFM View Post
    Lol at the shipping cost being $1500.
    Wow, yeah just saw that. If anybody were to buy it for $99,995 the least he could do is include free shipping...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

+1

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich. View Post
    It's called a mistake. Ever made one before? "Wozniak" sounds the same as "Wozniac" so it isn't that amazingly rare for someone to misread the name on eBay and then type it incorrectly in an article.

*Edit: After reading the page I guess it kind of is a big deal to make that mistake... my bad.
    Haha, looks like you are quite familiar with making mistakes!

I agree with the original comment. Saying that Wozniak made those comments makes it seems as if Steve Wozniak himself said that "this is the ONLY one", and was basically endorsing and vouching for the the seller and the computer.

Very strange...It appears Essany did this intentionally, making his own article confusing. I have come to know Essany for writing fact based type articles (for the most part), so when I read the first quote that Essany said came from "Wozniak", I was thinking "Wow, Wozniak actually said that?!" As I read more of the quotes it became clear to me that it was not actually a quote from Wozniak, but from the seller, who clearly stated he is not Wozniak, nor trying to impersonate him.

He sure isn't trying to impersonate him, but it appears Essany sure is trying to make it look like he is!
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 04-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    I have a Tandy TS-80 and an original zork floppy, I wonder if he'd be willing to trade? ;p
    The TRS-80 was my first computer ever. Trash80 for life.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    what is that black floppy thingy hanging out the front of that computer??
    I'm not completely not sure how old you are but i think you would know what a floppy disk is. Or in this case, a Boot Disk, if it was not included, the macintosh would not boot

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't think that's even close to the only one.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol! We all know Woz didn't write/say anything about this at all! Is it really that difficult understand? Thank you Essany for the fun interesting article!

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psp257 View Post
    I'm not completely not sure how old you are but i think you would know what a floppy disk is. Or in this case, a Boot Disk, if it was not included, the macintosh would not boot
    somebody's sarcasm detector needs new batteries lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Lol! We all know Woz didn't write/say anything about this at all! Is it really that difficult understand? Thank you Essany for the fun interesting article!
    If you read the article prior to it being edited you would have been confused as well.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME