+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Developing Tool to Detect and Remove Flashback Trojan

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Developing Tool to Detect and Remove Flashback Trojan

Apple recently revealed that it is in the process of working on developing software to not only detect but also remove the Flashback malware that has infected roughly 600,000 macs all over the world.

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop noted that the Cupertino California company mentioned the upcoming tool in a support document regarding the malicious software. The document also directed users to last week’s Java update, which patched the security flaw the virus was exploiting. The company mentioned that the Flashback malware relies on computer servers hosted by the malware authors to perform many of its critical functions along with the Java vulnerability and that the company is working with ISPs worldwide to disable the command and control network. For those of you who are running Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier, Apple recommends disabling Java in their browser preference to avoid being infected.

The Flashback trojan horse was discovered last year and since then has managed to grow exponentially. It posed as a fake Adobe Flash Player installer in order to trick users into installing it. Upon surfacing, the threat of the malware was marked as “low” but that has long since changed. The current iteration of Flashback uses a Java vulnerability to create a botnet that could mine personal information from unsuspecting users.

We previously mentioned that Russian security firm, Dr. Web, received a notice requesting to shut down one of their servers which monitored the spread of the virus. The reason for Apple requesting the shutdown remained a mystery, therefore the company’s CEO, Boris Sharov, was not content with what had happened. Apple does seem to be taking the matter into their own hands though.

Although many are claiming that anything at this point is too little too late, Apple seems to have an interest in solving the issue once and for all. At this point, the company has announced working on a tool to help users with the intention of releasing it in the near future. Upon release, Apple will probably inform a variety of users to utilize the tool to make sure their Mac is malware-free.

Source: Apple (support document),The Loop

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Good to see Apple taking the virus, worm, botnet issues seriously. It was all a matter of time i suppose. 600,000 is a small # compared to the # of Macs out there but it is a large # when compared to prior threats. I currently use Sophos Anti-Virus and it detects threats pretty well..FREE from the AppStore. I ran the script that came out last week and I was not infected..thankfully.

Guess when you get popular, just like anyone or anything else, you have to watch your back :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

@bigboyz very true

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple is only now developing a tool? better late than never I guess. I would think they should take it more seriously than to only be developing a tool now. If someone non apple was able to do something about it as of a day or a few days ago apple should have been on top of this a week ago. or am i wrong?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Good to see Apple taking the virus, worm, botnet issues seriously. It was all a matter of time i suppose. 600,000 is a small # compared to the # of Macs out there but it is a large # when compared to prior threats. I currently use Sophos Anti-Virus and it detects threats pretty well..FREE from the AppStore. I ran the script that came out last week and I was not infected..thankfully.

Guess when you get popular, just like anyone or anything else, you have to watch your back :]
    Exactly! The more popular Apple gets the more garbage people will write for them! Obviously it's still something that the user has to install, but still, they'll get trickier and trickier! I still think this has gotten blown out of proportion...oh well!