Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Tries to Cut off Security Firm's Server

Thanks

Default Apple Tries to Cut off Security Firm's Server

It was recently revealed that Apple attempted to shut down a server belonging to the security firm that first discovered the Flashback malware. The process gave the public insight into how Apple handles third-party assistance.

According to Forbes, Boris Sharov, the chief executive of the relatively unknown Russian security firm, Dr. Web, was notified by the web registrar Reggi.ru that Apple had requested the shut-down of a domain belonging to the Moscow company on claims that it was being used as a “command and control” for Macs affected by Flashback.

According to Sharov, “they told the registrar this [domain] is involved in a malicious scheme. Which would be true if we weren’t the ones controlling it and not doing any harm to users. This seems to mean that Apple is not considering our work as help. It’s just annoying them.” The domain that was being referred to was one of three Dr. Web was using to monitor the spread of Flashback in what researchers call a “sinkhole”, otherwise known as a spoofed command and control server. This technique allowed the firm to uncover the Trojan that has infected roughly 600,000 macs.

Apple may have requested for the shutdown prematurely before investigating the background of the server, which is a common occurrence in this scenario. Sharov believes that this move was a mistake on Apple’s end. What makes the whole situation a bit more confusing is the fact that Apple likes to be secretive. It is being assumed that Apple is looking to put an end to Flashback by shutting down command and control servers. The Cupertino California company has even pushed two Java updates in the past week in an attempt to catch up with the malware, a move that some seem as being too little too late.

According to Sharov “The safety of Macintosh computers is going down very quickly and they’re thinking what to do next. They’re thinking about how to manage a future where Mac is no longer safe.”

Source: Forbes
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 04-11-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Away with your negative comments with macs macs rule

This is either highly controversial, or business as usual. I don't know enough from this article to decide which.

They're Russian. I don't trust a word they're saying. As far as I know they may quite well have been the ones responsible for bringing this trojan into the world.

Green Apple
    Thanks

and dumb Mewedeeman have spoken... JEEZ man, just shut your mouth and stop talking shite about russians. you know nothing about them.

How come the usual U.S. based companies haven't chimed in yet on this malware like they do when Windows security issues pop up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mewedeeman View Post
    They're Russian. I don't trust a word they're saying. As far as I know they may quite well have been the ones responsible for bringing this trojan into the world.
    yes, it surely could not have originated from our exceptional america. mikhail and yuri trying to sabotage our deliciously decadent western lifestyles yet again...

Oh my god! What is the big deal! Millions of Windows computers get thousands of viruses every day and no one talks about it! ONE single virus appears for MAC and everyone acts as if the end of the world is upon us! Come on people! Get over it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

This scenario has been used before. Claiming the security software companies manufacture viruses/trojans to sell software. Who really knows?
    Oh and the title of this story is very misleading... How about "Apple tries to shut down rogue server connected to the trojan"
    Last edited by luvmytj; 04-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

You'd be surprised how many Russian nationals have a top secret security clearance in the U.S. government's top research labs/bases. I think if we can trust them with military secrets, we can trust them when they say the server is a sinkhole for security research.
    -FBIRyuJin

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This is either highly controversial, or business as usual. I don't know enough from this article to decide which.
    Agree
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aristosv View Post
    Oh my god! What is the big deal! Millions of Windows computers get thousands of viruses every day and no one talks about it! ONE single virus appears for MAC and everyone acts as if the end of the world is upon us! Come on people! Get over it!
    Its coz the millions of windows users know how to run a virus scanner where Mac users dont have a clue how to do that yet as Apple hasn't told them how.

Think outside Apples Mac and think for yourself and get a PC.

I actually believe that it was an international group of hackers who have taken responsibility for this Trojan. While they say it's harmless and information gathered from this won't be used maliciously, it's groups like these that are hard to trust. These groups are a far cry from hacker activist like the former Lulz Sec and the ever growing popular Anonymous groups geared at controlling corrupt corporate empires.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Its coz the millions of windows users know how to run a virus scanner where Mac users dont have a clue how to do that yet as Apple hasn't told them how.

No, the Mac is still far safer, we just need to remember to be cautious about what we allow and don't allow, which is true on all OSes, even mobile devices and Linux.

Bottom line is the best defense has always been and will always be a good offense. Better to not have the infected files even make it to your system than it is to have an AntiVirus tool catch them. AntiVirus software should be a second line of defense, just in case something sneaks by you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Thay hayt us cuz wur free! Mercia! NASCAR! Wrasslin! Wur numbur wun!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aristosv View Post
    This is why Ubuntu is the best OS ever. Get over OS X and windows - unix(especially Ubuntu)- is where it's at. And it's free. Ubuntu FTW!

Thanks

600,000 trojan infections. That's like, 10% of PC's daily infections, bruh. Windows is garbage. The "Sam's Choice" of computers...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is everyone immediately defending Apple on this? I am a fan of Apple too, but I do not blindly believe that everything they do is the right thing.

It seems like Apple doesn't want this company to talk about this virus, like they want to shut them up, and keep this virus out of the publics eye as much as possible.

It also seems like Apple doesn't want to appear as if its been shown up by a small security firm that was able to do what Apple couldn't or wouldn't....Identify, and warn users of a problem.
    El Zurdo

Bigot says as bigot does.

Umm, millions of PC and Windronze machines would not be infected IF the users actually knew how to use Virus scanners. I'll think about getting a PC when cows learn how to fly, btw.
    Last edited by tabaks; 04-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Why is everyone immediately defending Apple on this? I am a fan of Apple too, but I do not blindly believe that everything they do is the right thing.

It seems like Apple doesn't want this company to talk about this virus, like they want to shut them up, and keep this virus out of the publics eye as much as possible.

It also seems like Apple doesn't want to appear as if its been shown up by a small security firm that was able to do what Apple couldn't or wouldn't....Identify, and warn users of a problem.
    The fact still remains. Macs suffer less than 1% of the infection rate of Windows, AND Apple will patch the problem, FREE for their users.

Not write sh*tty software full of holes
    and then tell you to buy some 3rd party crapware to fix the problem THEY created, like Windows does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast